Hidetaka Miyazaki says Shadow of the Erdtree had to be big

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: FromSoftware has been playing coy about the size of Shadow of the Erdtree, the Elden Ring expansion now more than two years in the making. In past interviews the developer has suggested it's roughly the size of Limgrave, the starting area in the base game. Maybe even a little bigger. But I spent a full day playing Shadow of the Erdtree at FromSoftware's offices in Tokyo last month, and I can assure you that estimate is sneakily setting the studio up to underpromise and overdeliver.

Not only is the landmass likely bigger than you're expecting, it's more intricate than any existing part of Elden Ring's map, with cliffs and canyons that require puzzling out how you can reach one point for another. Anyone who tries to make a beeline for each map fragment is going to run into more than a few surprises.

"At the very outset there were a lot of possibilities, but one of the things that was determined very early on was that size," said FromSoftware president Hidetaka Miyazaki. "We wanted that sense of scale for this map, because we wanted an experience for the player that was going to match that of the base game. We wanted them to experience that sense of discovery, and that sense of wonder and exploration again. We needed a map that was going to uphold that and bolster that.

I had a chance to venture further into Shadow of the Erdtree than anyone else for the cover feature of the next issue of PC Gamer, on sale later this month. I also got to ask Miyazaki for insight into the design of the Land of Shadow, and how it compares to the original map.

"Obviously it being exactly the same, but smaller, wouldn't quite cut it, so we wanted to approach from a sense of granularity, is the word we're using," he said. "How dense this map is, and the ratio of legacy dungeon to open field areas, and how they intertwine. This is something we wanted to explore anew in the DLC: In terms of recapturing that sense of scale but in a slightly different way with a slightly different granularity."

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah, if your base game is huge and you want to people to come back for an Expansion that isn't cheap in terms of pricing you're kind of forced to also deliver a meaty experience again. It's a bit more costly to make and will probably push back the release of your next game, but it's clear that it will give you the best return.

Considering how many copies of ER they've sold, it makes the decision much easier.
Its sales trajectory is so far ahead of any other FromSoft's previous work that even that relatively small portion of player who do buy expansions and come back will make it all worth it from a financial standpoint.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yeah, if your base game is huge and you want to people to come back for an Expansion that isn't cheap in terms of pricing you're kind of forced to also deliver a meaty experience again. It's a bit more costly to make and will probably push back the release of your next game, but it's clear that it will give you the best return.

Considering how many copies of ER they've sold, it makes the decision much easier.
Its sales trajectory is so far ahead of any other FromSoft's previous work that even that relatively small portion of player who do buy expansions and come back will make it all worth it from a financial standpoint.
I have yet to play Elden Ring, and I hope a sale will occur in the next few weeks.

The Expansion being so big is music to my ears and if I enjoy the base game I will probably pay full price for the it.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Open world means more freedom and hidden things
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Open world means more fredoom and hidden things
And your point? Because it makes the experience less focused and imo worst.
Freedom and hidden things doesn't exactly made games better... of course it increase it sell power with masses because they were told open world is what make games good 🤷‍♂️

PS. In the past a read something about Elden Ring that fits perfectly... open world made it is a nice casual experience.

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
And your point? Because it makes the experience less focused and imo worst.
Freedom and hidden things doesn't exactly made games better... of course it increase it sell power with masses because they were told open world is what make games good 🤷‍♂️

I also like the linear design of Bloodborne and Dark Souls, but their linearity means that would would experience most of it after your first playtrought.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: 2spooky5me

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I also like the linear design of Bloodborne and Dark Souls, but their linearity means that would would experience most of it after your first playtrought.
It is still a 30-40 hours of first playtrought.
And to be fair more in Demon's Souls than Dark Souls / Bloodborne the next playtroughts are better than the first.

Even today I have no ideia why they get rid off World /Character tendencies.
It was so amazing and innovative.
Maybe there were some contractual issues... to make Dark Souls multiplatform they had to remove some key features.

Maybe it is just me but when I start to play Elden Ring the open world gives me feeling to drop the game because it just don't excite me to continue.
It is not a issue with Elden Ring alone... a lot of others games in open world style put me down.

Edit - I believe one of the few open world games that I really enjoyed was Death Stranding because it makes you forget you are playing an open world game... you have to be full focused in the gameplay, puzzle, mechanics of each step to make your carga to stay intact that you don't even care about the open world.

Last edited:

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Open world means more fredoom and hidden things
Well I like elden ring a lot but the open world segments are the weakest part of the game lol, the legacy dungeons are where the game truly shines although open world does add a sense of grand scale due to distances between the dungeons. Haligtree, Redmane Castle, Farum Azula were peak, the n number copy pasted caves and catacombs were chores

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well I like elden ring a lot but the open world segments are the weakest part of the game lol, the legacy dungeons are where the game truly shines although open world does add a sense of grand scale due to distances between the dungeons. Haligtree, Redmane Castle, Farum Azula were peak, the n number copy pasted caves and catacombs were chores
I have indeed mixed feelings with Elden Ring.
While I see it does a lot of things better than previous Souls games... at the same time I see it do a lot of things worst.
The open world design is just a part of it that makes me not enjoy it and it is not the main one.

Maybe the difficult to take each new combat as the last of your life is another thing that doesn't make me like it as I liked others Souls games.
Each encounter in Demon's Souls and Bloodborn was so focused as a life and death battle.
And your death could make you lose everything (yeap you can recover most of it if you reached the same point but it was so troublestone that makes you fear death).

Last edited:

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
Demons Souls is my favourite way to explore.
Also, the medieval-fantasy setting is too good!

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
These big games are breaking my will as I get older.

Elden Ring, ToTK, BG3, FFVII Rebirth, that is a crazy amount of hours on just a few games of the highest quality.