Hollywood Actors Are Leaping Into Video Games

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Apologies fir not adding the text if the interview as I usually do but I am blocked out from the "Times"

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Apparently this isn't entirely by choice. Roles are drying up/too many people for the roles, so lots of out of work actors are jumping to Vidya.

All the best of luck to them.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not sure if it's a good or bad thing overall. Attracting talent is great and the mass appeal some of those names have is also positive but they also push up costs a lot and bring other complications that I wont get into.

Some actors are great though... like Norman Reedus and Sam Witwer.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
As you sign new deals, put in language that protects future versions of the game, for throwing up on BC services. No game left behind due to VA/likeness shenanigans

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I really do hate how everyone tries to mix the videogame industry and movies industry.
Yes, cinematic experiences are cool, but I feel like a lot of industry heads have this need to push the videogame industry to be more like the movies industry, forcing Holywood actors into a universe they dont really understand and have no part in.
Kinda like TGS, how many fucking holywood actors were presenting awards? I like Al Pacino as much as any other guy but what the fuck does he have to do with games?
I undermines games as its own work of art and feels like desperate attention seeking, like a little brother trying to be like its older sibiling.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I don't mind as long as it's well done, I'm tired of the same voice actors in every game.

I still don't understand how no one is able to make crossmedia work, seems like the obvious thing to go after now that is so easy to put an actor performance and appearance in a game.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Not sure if it's a good or bad thing overall. Attracting talent is great and the mass appeal some of those names have is also positive but they also push up costs a lot and bring other complications that I wont get into.

Callisto Protocol was a good example of this. They spent most of the budget on graphics and "famous" actors.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don't mind as long as it's well done, I'm tired of the same voice actors in every game.
yeah as of late it seems like most games are either Nolan North, Troy Baker or Laura Bailey phoning in with 0 effort.

Sam Witwer is always a fucking win in my book, I love everything he does because he actually seems to give a fuck about the stuff he does.

Callisto Protocol was a good example of this. They spent most of the budget on graphics and "famous" actors.
I actually loved Callisto, to be fair I only played it when it came to ps+ because people shit talked it so much, so I dont have the weight of "I spent $60 in this". But still I though it was honestly really good, I assume most people were expecting dead space and that why they didnt like it, but I though it was fantastic.

Reactions: Bryank75

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I like them and have nothing against their work, for me it's just a matter of them being everywhere.
I like them too, specially troy baker, he was absolutelly fantastic in the last of us and Bioshock Inifinite, you hit the nail in the head, they're in everywhere, but I dont think you can do that much work and be great in everything, he was specially bad in both the avengers and Spiderman Miles Morales. really felt like he either couldnt care enough about the role or had terrible directing.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
I actually loved Callisto, to be fair I only played it when it came to ps+ because people shit talked it so much, so I dont have the weight of "I spent $60 in this". But still I though it was honestly really good, I assume most people were expecting dead space and that why they didnt like it, but I though it was fantastic.
They sure as hell did not lift a finger to set themselves apart from it, either in marketing before release or in the general vibe of the game, though DS is far ahead in every aspect, it was a calculated move. It had some good horror moments, keyword moments.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
EDIT: HORRIBLE spelling.

"If only we could keep the cost down somehow. Anyone has any ideas? No? We'll figure this out later. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with Tom Cruise. We're trying to get him for a role in a AA video game. Oh and fire about 500 people so we can afford that."

That's what this feels like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
"If only we could keep the cost down somehow. Anyone has any ideas? No? We';; figure this later. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with Mot Cruise. We're trying to get him for a role in a AA video game. Oh and fire about 500 people so we can afford that."

That's what this feels like.
Yeah I understand the appeal for certain actors to be in a game but I always saw it as a waste of money. If I'm buying COD I wouldn't care if Jason Momoa was in it or Joe schmooo.

balrogboy

Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They sure as hell did not lift a finger to set themselves apart from it, either in marketing before release or in the general vibe of the game
I mean, the vibes are VERY Dead Space, and they marketed that perfectly. Problem is, gameplay is nothing like Dead Space, it is its own thing and you cant really compare to a third person shooter like dead space. It was clear to me that the focus was on melee combat with the firearms as a secondary support, but from the reviews I saw, most people tried to use guns like they were the main attraction, and they simply dont work like that.
Either way, we're getting sidetracked, fuck holywood and I couldnt give less of a fuck if Vin Diesel has a part in Ark 2, I'm still not playing it.

Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I really do hate how everyone tries to mix the videogame industry and movies industry.
Yes, cinematic experiences are cool, but I feel like a lot of industry heads have this need to push the videogame industry to be more like the movies industry, forcing Holywood actors into a universe they dont really understand and have no part in.
Kinda like TGS, how many fucking holywood actors were presenting awards? I like Al Pacino as much as any other guy but what the fuck does he have to do with games?
I undermines games as its own work of art and feels like desperate attention seeking, like a little brother trying to be like its older sibiling.
I don't mind it when it was like Page and Dafoe in Beyond Two Souls. Or Hayden Panit... The Heroes Cheerleader likeness in Until Down. They could mine existing IP and new ones back towards media for a related series or movie. Just put in language for character likenesses, voice over work, soundtrack work, later re-releases and also remakes/remasters retain the original licenses tied to the works.. that kinda stuff.. I'm sick of butchered re-releases with mashed soundtracks, or the owner of this character likeness is being a dick, or car license expired so fuck that game ever leasing the vault in any permutation. And that's for the ones that can be remade, not stuck in licensing purgatory or bullshittery.