How Cyberpunk 2077 clawed its way back from disaster to complete one of the greatest redemption arcs in gaming history

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Cyberpunk 2077 may be the most successful flop of all time. Within weeks of launch, the RPG had sold 13 million copies, even accounting for dissatisfied players refunding the game. It made its eight year budget back in a single day. But those accomplishments couldn't stop Cyberpunk from widely being seen as a disappointment.

It was buggy as hell. The last-gen console version was so bad, it was pulled from sale on PlayStation. It was briefly a particularly dangerous game for players who are prone to seizures. Some investors were so miffed at how CD Projekt Red handled the launch, they filed a class action lawsuit over the share price, which dropped from its high of $31 on December 4, 2020 to only $16 a month later. It's now down to under $9.

CD Projekt's stock price may not have recovered over the last three years, but Cyberpunk 2077 has. In his Phantom Liberty review, associate editor Ted Litchfield called the expansion "a thrilling capstone for Cyberpunk 2077's 3-year redemption arc." The big 2.0 patch released to everyone for free, meanwhile, completely remakes Cyberpunk's progression system, cyberware, vehicle combat, and police. For the last three years, CD Projekt has seemingly been determined to deliver on the potential Cyberpunk 2077 had, but failed to reach, in December 2020.

Here's how Cyberpunk clawed its way back.

December 2020: Launch and rock bottom
The cyberbest of times, the cyberworst of times: CD Projekt's big follow-up to 2015's The Witcher 3 debuted to mega sales and a mixed critical reception. There were some bombastic 9/10s, but we were cooler on Cyberpunk 2077. In our 78% review, we wrote that it was "a pretty good RPG in an amazing setting absolutely sick with bugs," highlighting that the open world of Night City was "an incredible work that the stories within never quite measure up to."

Cyberpunk 2077's quests very quickly became its least significant problem. Within a few days, CD Projekt had held an emergency call with investors, issued an apology to players who were struggling with bugs and poor performance on consoles, and the CEO admitted they'd "ignored the signals about the need for additional time to refine the game on the base last-gen consoles," where the experience was considerably worse.

Bugs like this one and this one and all of these became meme fodder. The bad times kept rolling all month.

December 12: CD Projekt patched a graphical effect in braindances that caused a seizure for one Game Informer writer.

December 17: Cyberpunk 2077 removed from sale on the PlayStation Store, a shocking reversal for a big game, with Sony offering all players refunds.

December 10 - 23: CD Projekt releases four hotfixes before the end of the year, repairing broken save games, stopping crashes, and fixing many, many quest issues.

December 27: Class action lawsuit filed over investor damages as a result of "materially false and misleading" statements from CD Projekt as to the quality of the game on last-gen consoles

January 2021: The mea culpa​

January 13: In a post on the Cyberpunk website titled "Cyberpunk 2077 — Our commitment to quality," CD Projekt's co-founders offered their "personal explanation of what the days leading up to the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 looked like, sharing the studio’s perspective on what happened with the game on old-generation consoles."

"We never, ever intended for anything like this to happen. I assure you that we will do our best to regain your trust."

February 2021: Hacked​

February 7: CD Projekt Red suffered a hacking breach, with the hacker threatening to dump the source code of Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, and Gwent, as well as other internal documents. "Your public image will go down the shitter even more and people will see how you shitty your company functions. Investors will lose trust in your company and the stock will dive even lower!"

February 10: After CD Projekt refused to negotiate, the hacking group began leaking source code, starting with Gwent. CD Projekt fought back against the spread with DMCA takedowns.

February 24: CD Projekt announced its next patch for Cyberpunk 2077 would be delayed as a result of the hacking incident, and the overall scope of the update.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think No Man Sky had a better redemption.
But sure they changed a lot in Cyberpunk to the point that this new expansion should be the game launches years ago.
No Mans Sky is another beast at this point especially with the VR. They did good keeping on it to make it so much better.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
tbh it didn't do much of anything from what I've seen. They fixed the performance at launch and now instead of being a poorly optimized gta clone set in the future it's a futuristic gta clone with better performance. Graphics are nice though. Oh yeah and I can go terrorize grannies that's cool.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Tbh i was really excited about this game because i love the setting, cyberpunk dystopias are my jam. Gonna be picking this one up after i finish sea of stars and bg3, it sounds like they finally made it what it should have been from the start.

*edit* one gripe i still have is that shit is too sunny and clean. The real cyberpunk is one where the environment is completely ruined by industry and corporate exploitation. But maybe there'll be a mod to make it more blade-runnery

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
tbh it didn't do much of anything from what I've seen. They fixed the performance at launch and now instead of being a poorly optimized gta clone set in the future it's a futuristic gta clone with better performance. Graphics are nice though. Oh yeah and I can go terrorize grannies that's cool.
New update goes live tomorrow

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, great comeback for them. Im gonna play it next year with DLC and 2.0 update. I played a couple hours before and it was cool.

As for greatest comebacks. Id say thats No Mans Sky and FF14

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Bought it at launch, didn't refund and played through to the end despite it not feeling special.... I had a lot of fun for the most part.

I'm very curious and excited to replay it all and try the DLC and see how things have changed / improved.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Really? They release an anime, patch some stuff which makes the game nowhere near what was promised and they're the hero? On top of outright lying about console performance and intentionally releasing a broken game, missing the most basic features.

Gamers really deserve shit companies like that.

Let me remind you that all the stuff they're adding with the DLC has been promised before the original release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nomen_Nescio

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Really? They release an anime, patch some stuff which makes the game nowhere near what was promised and they're the hero? On top of outright lying about console performance and intentionally releasing a broken game, missing the most basic features.

Let me remind you that all the stuff they're adding with the DLC has been promised before the original release.
okay, and now that it's included i'll buy the game

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Bought it at launch, didn't refund and played through to the end despite it not feeling special.... I had a lot of fun for the most part.

I'm very curious and excited to replay it all and try the DLC and see how things have changed / improved.
Same here. They received a lot of help from Nvidia to get the path-tracing code in there. Doubtful any other studio will invest that kind of money for their engine. I'm sure this DLC is going to be bad-ass.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023

Not to mention that their quests ( both mainand side) are still bugged and cannot be completed.