I like all games consoles / platforms - I will never buy into Microsoft / Xbox and here is why

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdopey

12 Jul 2022
I was originally going to post this on gaf, but figured if I did I would be called a fanboy and possibly banned as the title I guess sounds extremely fanboyish. I have another post incoming for Sony / Playstation and possibly another for Nintendo.

I comes from a Linux background - I switched to Linux pre-2000 I think it was Debian Potato (Debian releases are named after toy story, hence why Unstable is called Sid) Back then I built my self a sick machine a dual cpu pentium with I forget how much ram (not a tonne but a lot for back then) and an ATI graphics card. Back then windows 98 or Me didn't support SMP (symmetric multi-processing) - this amazing pc ran like an absolute turd when running windows a couple of years before this my brother had introduced me to Linux he was an admin working for an isp and all of their systems ran linux he started showing me x11 and stuff like xeyes it was all so very different and so cool and you could literally get into the guts of the operating system, for me a guy that was technically minded this stuff just blew my mind. It's performance was amazing as well I would run various things on it and just constantly be blown away by what it was capable of. When windows 2K came out I dual booted to win2k to get my gaming fix and the win nt kernel did support smp although the performance was nowhere near as good.

I went off to uni did a degree in comp sci, my uni ran sun solaris (an amazing unix system that no longer exists - bought by oracle turned into a husk) they had SGI Irix computers (the company that built 3d, did most of the cgi work back then and I believe opengl was created by them) - most of my lecturers were from unix backgrounds. To get a lot of the work done I needed access to unix systems and Linux fit the bill perfectly.

So why this long back story - what many may not know is just how terrified Microsoft was of Linux, at the time I would go into forums / web sites to try and find out information to research and it was always filled with massive negativity towards Linux / Unix generally so many supposed users absolutely bashing every element of it, sometimes just outright lies. Looking into this further I found out this was essentially a Microsoft PR smear campaign (FUD) - designed to detract companies and individuals from leaving the confines of Windows and using Linux. On every level this surfaced and I just found the tactic nauseating as it detracted from getting actual work done into this bickering bullshit where you would have people paid money to actively antagonise so instead of raising real issues and fixing real problems you would be faced with noise and actively trying to defend. I think the most perfect example of this backfiring is this:

reliabletimes200-100389773-orig.jpg

Microsoft built a .net platform called trade-elect literally threw engineers and money at it. Along with a get the facts campaign highlighting the London Stock Exchange as choosing windows for its reliability and stability - anyone that had used Windows server back then knew it was anything but reliable. Anyway a few years later and we had this:

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...hange-to-abandon-failed-windows-platform.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2480407/extra--london-stock-exchange--blame-microsoft-.html

Every linux forum every news / resource avenue for Linux would be filled with astro-turfers that would point to the get the facts campaign, to the London Stock Exchange campaign and extol the virtues of windows and .net.

Here is the funny part FUD originally started by IBM was a sales tactic where they would go to businesses and sell IBM machines and the tag line was no one ever got fired for buying an IBM machine. Microsoft embraced and extended this strategy to stratospheric heights only for it to backfire. The CEO of LSE got fired for bringing the Microsoft mess and the Linux based platform that eventually replaced it absolutely slaughtered it in terms of stability and performance.

This is just 1 example there were the Halloween documents that got leaked that highlighted just how afraid Microsoft was of Linux, The whole patent lawsuit with SCO Unix against Linux it turned out Microsoft was funding the whole thing and it took Novell and IBM stepping in to destroy the case and in the process SCO, again designed to produce fear about possibly getting hit with patent fines for using Linux. The android patent scams where they said the Linux kernel infringed on MS patents (turns out the only valid patent was fat64 which is a shitty file system to begin with and only used to keep support between android phones and windows desktop users - Linux has far better file systems). You have to remember this isn't 1 mega corporation against another this is literally 1 mega corporation which writes pretty shit software against a bunch of university students and people that write code for fun or because they want something cool and want to share it out in the world - the open source world is pretty amazing. Linux is a bit of a strange beast nowadays as it has the best developed features from IBM AIX, Novell Unix, SGI, HP Unix integrated in, this is why it kicks so much ass in the enterprise / server world (for all of the mentioned companies it makes sense as they don't have to maintain the software individually themselves as they primarily sell hardware) You also have the genius students and professors that come up with ideas and Linux is the perfect system for them to build out their experiments (Xen literally was started in Cambridge University, by a Cambridge Professor - revolutionised virtualisation imho)

Then windows phone, where the planted a mole (ELOP) stopped the development of Meego OS (I think something like that) which was linux based and moved to windows only for Microsoft to buy nokia and absolutely destroy the company and for the whole thing to backfire. We could have actually had a third amazing mobile platform to compete against Android and iPhone, if it wasn't for the idiots at Redmond.

What does this have to do with gaming ? I hear you ask (or you probably have looked at this wall of text and thought nah cant be bother to read the rantings of this lunatic)

Well this exact same tactic I saw being copied verbatim with the xbox platform. I have seen astroturfers wreck absolute havoc in comment sections of gaming sites, I have seen journalists basically behaving like paid advertisers. It came directly from the same playbook if you've seen the signs before it becomes so absolutely evident. It got to the point where I started looking for sources of news from other places and came across gaf back in the day. I saw a resurgence of this sort of behaviour on the launch of the xbox series consoles as well, I actually noticed gaf getting infected with a few astro-turfers as well. Luckily this place looks to be the one for me to get actual information and raise actual issues and thoughts.

Since Microsoft has entered, what actual amazing things have they added to the gaming space ?

During the xbox 360 period they introduced a pay wall to gaming online. Then astroturfers started writing about how amazing xbox live is, for the normal kids / people that know absolutely nothing to think they needed to pay to get good online connection for gaming. Absolute bullshit - so many who had absolutely no idea where pointing to peer 2 peer based games and claiming its because of the xbox network - peer 2 peer literally using your own connection no centralised servers at all and believing its because they paid for the service that the service was better. In that same time frame Sony released MAG which was 64 player client / server based. Third party publishers almost always provided their own service infrastructure for client / server based gaming. Literally Microsoft nickel and diming its consumer base. I hate the fact that Sony and Nintendo both do this now as well.

GamePass ? I don't even want to open up that can of worms - its garnered a lot of positive press.

Buying out publishers ? Is that really a good thing for the industry. I hate the fact that id sold itself to Zenimax and I absolutely hate the fact that my favourite games developer / engine developer is in the hands of Microsoft - so much I could say they were the only developers that I knew of that actively developed in purely opengl and Vulkan something the PC space really badly needs is to get away from proprietary standards like direct-x and to instead embrace open well documented very good standards like Vulkan, anyway I digress (I think this is why Microsoft bought them - they fear Google, Amazon and Apple the most and they are all Linux / Unix based systems where Vulkan is a first class citizen)

The ending note I would add is that Microsoft has changed for the better Since Satya Nadella took over - He originally worked for SUN Microsystems (Sun Solaris absolutely amazing tech I mentioned them earlier) He is a real genuine engineer and I think he must detest these old archaic FUD campaigns as much as me and I like the direction he has been steering Microsoft, but I will never truly be able to trust the company because of the truly evil shit it used to do, under Balmer it was the worst, what happens when the CEO changes again ?

I will happily support Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, Amazon, Google any other company that gets into gaming and values engineering excellence that doesn't resort to flinging shit at its competitors. Until Microsoft can show it can be trusted I wont support them and buying big publishers, especially publishers supporting open standards like vulkan does not evoke trust in me.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Wasn't Win7 Basic a reaction at staving off the popularity of linx laptops/netbooks at the time, too, OP?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think you need to link some receipts of the Microsoft V Linux stuff, and links for influencers/Sites that are being paid or pushed by Microsoft.
Who was that lady who basically said "fuck Sony, they've never sent me few shit like MS does"?

Reactions: Kokoloko

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
i'm in the same boat. had a 360 and loved it, but sold it off and all the games once it broke down. OG Xbox and Xbox One have such limited content catalogues i really don't care for either system. And of course nothing ever stays (or was, really) exclusive to the systems so there's no point in xbox for myself personally. Moving forward with everything on PC, especially so.

I think the main problem is the brand just seems boring and sterile. there's no personality like the japanese consoles, be it Sega, Nintendo, or Sony (all of which i still collect for).

At this point it's been almost 25 years and their legacy is almost non-existent, besides a few good halo games decades ago (all of which have been ported to PC).

the stuff i really liked, like Ninja Gaiden, Dead Rising 1 and Mass Effect, all got improved ports on PS3/4.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Amazing post.

I was originally going to post this on gaf, but figured if I did I would be called a fanboy and possibly banned as the title I guess sounds extremely fanboyish. I have another post incoming for Sony / Playstation and possibly another for Nintendo.

I don't think you need to be concerned about that. We've seen a few hot takes from Xbox, PS and Nintendo fans here and it all worked out.

Well this exact same tactic I saw being copied verbatim with the xbox platform. I have seen astroturfers wreck absolute havoc in comment sections of gaming sites, I have seen journalists basically behaving like paid advertisers. It came directly from the same playbook if you've seen the signs before it becomes so absolutely evident. It got to the point where I started looking for sources of news from other places and came across gaf back in the day. I saw a resurgence of this sort of behaviour on the launch of the xbox series consoles as well, I actually noticed gaf getting infected with a few astro-turfers as well. Luckily this place looks to be the one for me to get actual information and raise actual issues and thoughts.

And this is the money shot. It's actually amazing how many astroturfers are out there. From people on forums that write posts that look like dedicated adverts for the platform, to the constant defence of indefensible things, to youtubers, twitchers and journalists just writing things that read like they are on a payroll.

Interestingly enough, I don't see the same behaviour with nintendo or playstation. Sure, they have their hardcore fans that act like the platform is a religion, but they don't have that extra level of naughty where you can clearly see someone is being paid to write something.

Finally, I'm still unsure as to how xbox can have an open "ambassador" program and nobody bats an eye. If anybody took 3 seconds to read it they would realise that that is a basically a "come astroturf for us an we'll get you thinks" deal.

Man, ain't nobody reading that.

Then don't comment on it. Easy.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
3 reasons I won’t support them.

1. They are trying to buy success and with that buy the gaming industry. And to me they haven‘t done close to good enough to have ownership of the IP’s they didn‘t create. I don’t want Playstation or Nintendo to own the gaming industry, so why would I want MS/Xbox to get to run It. Supported them is just one step closer for them owning the industry.

Ive never had a windows product run well, PC’s, Laptops, printers with windows devices etc etc. Its just never a smooth experience And don’t let me get started on crashes, bluescreen’s, bugs, viruses. I havent had any of these issues these 13 years with Apple.
So I don’t want them anywhere near Playstation, Nintendo, Capcom, Sega ip etc. Just make your games and stay in your lane, but MS won’t do that, they want to own and run it all.

2. They play dirty, Bill Gates has done from the start with MS, but even with Xbox you can tell they buy so much good press and “media” bais. Ambassadors, twitter bots, steveio and such like reviewers, everytime there is a PS exclusive there has to be bad press around it. They just play Dirty and Phil is a passive aggressive fart who takes a dig at Playstation whenever he can.

3. Bill Gate. Yes he doesnt own MS anymore, but the guy ”created“ it and Xbox. The guy is a creep and hung around the biggest Pedophile of the century multiple times. He’s a dirtbag and never will any of my money go towards him or Xbox again. The 360 is the last MS device I ever own

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
The only reason I don't support them is because I just I don't like their games in general. The most pleasant experience I had playing one of their games recently was Flight Similar even if it's not my type of game I was able to appreciates it. I If they were releasing bangers I wouldn't give a shit about how evil they are.

- I never liked Halo and it seems to be doing worse than ever. No thanks.
- I never really liked Gears even when it was made by Epic, I only finished the first one and dropped the second.
- I hate Bethesda and the way they design their games. To me they completely destroyed Fallout and Skyrim is the shallowest most uninteresting acclaimed game I can think of, I gave up trying to understand the appeal. Starfield had some promise but after seeing it I'm not impressed at all.
- I think Blizzard is long dead, it's just sad at this point, they used to be one of my favorite devs, now they only frustrate me with their terrible soulless games.
- I don't give a shit about CoD, I stoped at Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops, I can't even remember to tell them apart.
- I rather play GT over Forza but I got nothing against Forza.
- I don't like Forza Horizon at all and I don't even see the apeal.
- I think people overhype Obsidian because I couldn't even finish Pillars of Eternity given how bad the writing was, in combination with a gameplay that was just a bad version of games from 20 years ago. No way I was going to ever play Outer Worlds, it looked terrible.
- Redfall? No interest.
- Modern Rare? No interest.
- I don't like their hardware at all, the Series X is very uninteresting compared to the PS5 and the Series S is an abomination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rivet

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
MS definitely uses dirty tactics like astroturfing on a greater scale than the competition. You never know if the person talking to you is a real fan or is simply a paid astroturfer, even on forums like Gaf. They got caught for astroturfing Internet Explorer by the way.

When you add they tend to change strategy and abandon their fans every few years (end of 360 era with Kinect, Xbox One with tv tv tv...), they make it really hard to trust them.

As an IT engineer, I'd also say they're one of the worst corporations I had to work with. They basically give zero fuck about the rest of the world or the RFCs, which explains their products are so full of idiotic bugs and badly designed features. They have what I call the Saudi Prince syndrome : too much money for their own good.

They feel their customers will buy their products whatever they do, so they rarely do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.