I miss Tekken's more grounded origins

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Tekken has become more and more fantastical, incorporating more anime and science fiction elements as the years go by.

Perhaps there is a feeling the only way they can top the previous games is to go bigger and sillier.

There have always been fantasy elements, even in the first 3 games but the balance was far better and characters like Kuma seemed like quirky additions that didn't take the spotlight away from the pretty faithful representation of martial arts.

I think the series needs a reboot after 8 and they need to get away from flying robot girls that can spam missiles, street fighter crossovers and devil modes where entire cities are leveled...

I'd love to see more beautifully created dojos, historic places for martial arts, a variety of gi's and doboks instead of anime outfits and masks etc.

A return to the days that they would motion capture martial artists doing patterns and famous techniques that would highlight the authenticity and attention to detail of the game and differentiate it from other fighting games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I have no Tekken knowledge to speak of, but I SOO co-sign this feeling for the Mortal Kombat story/presentation aspects too.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I have no Tekken knowledge to speak of, but I SOO co-sign this feeling for the Mortal Kombat story/presentation aspects too.
I heard the last game kinda rebooted the MK series but I have only ever dropped in and out, so I couldn't comment with any authority but I always felt like MK2 had such a great balance of characters and overall feel.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Fighters in general stopped being martial arts. All the new games aren’t a game of poke and prod like super turbo or 3s or kof or virtua fighter were. They brought in fantasy elements but they slowly became more and More combo heavy which in return dumbs the games down. You can look at sf6 like it Plays too much like a anime fighter now. Everyone gets a combo tool and not new neutral interactions.

• they're_right_you_know

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Tekken 4 was perfect, it has the best vibe and music especially the airport theme and the beach theme.

Once Tekken 5 came it became a lot more fantasy, Apperntly 4 took inspiration from virtua fighter.

I also miss when everyone had a story in arcade mode instead of 90% of the focus being on the Mishimas.

• brain
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Tekken 4 was perfect, it has the best vibe and music especially the airport theme and the beach theme.

Once Tekken 5 came it became a lot more fantasy, Apperntly 4 took inspiration from virtua fighter.

I also miss when everyone had a story in arcade mode instead of 90% of the focus being on the Mishimas.
Yes, I think the balance was better back then and I really don't find the Mishima's interesting... It's been the same old story for decades now.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I agree. Tekken 2 and 3 were the peak for me.
I did enjoy tag and Tekken 4 when I first got a PS2 but it never captured the same feeling for me.

The characters, music, intros and darker feel was amazing in Tekken 2/3

Reactions: Jim Ryan

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

But Tekken 5 was amazing. Dat intro, the graphics, it was like steroid Tekken 3 lmao. Also maybe it won't be much, but apparently there's Characters Episode mode in T8 that worked like mini Story Mode from Tekken 5 with it's own CG endings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Fighters in general stopped being martial arts. All the new games aren’t a game of poke and prod like super turbo or 3s or kof or virtua fighter were. They brought in fantasy elements but they slowly became more and More combo heavy which in return dumbs the games down. You can look at sf6 like it Plays too much like a anime fighter now. Everyone gets a combo tool and not new neutral interactions.
If you want the true, like the greatest competitive anime fighter, try Naruto Narutimate Accel 2. Because that game was a total blast lol, like competitive 1vs1 smash bros + Marvel vs Capcom speed + parry system.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
im tired of fucking anime dolls and fantasy shit on fighting games,also on games like call of duty,having to gun down fucking diablo characters its stupid,but thats why stupid people buy and there is a lot of stupid and tasteless losers out there so..

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Tekken has become more and more fantastical, incorporating more anime and science fiction elements as the years go by.

Perhaps there is a feeling the only way they can top the previous games is to go bigger and sillier.

There have always been fantasy elements, even in the first 3 games but the balance was far better and characters like Kuma seemed like quirky additions that didn't take the spotlight away from the pretty faithful representation of martial arts.

I think the series needs a reboot after 8 and they need to get away from flying robot girls that can spam missiles, street fighter crossovers and devil modes where entire cities are leveled...

I'd love to see more beautifully created dojos, historic places for martial arts, a variety of gi's and doboks instead of anime outfits and masks etc.

A return to the days that they would motion capture martial artists doing patterns and famous techniques that would highlight the authenticity and attention to detail of the game and differentiate it from other fighting games.

Dude, right from the first game we had devils, angels, bears, kangaroos and velociraptors involved.

Grounded? LOL

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
If you want the true, like the greatest competitive anime fighter, try Naruto Narutimate Accel 2. Because that game was a total blast lol, like competitive 1vs1 smash bros + Marvel vs Capcom speed + parry system.

That sounds like complete madness. I’llhave to try that one out sometime.
Dude, right from the first game we had devils, angels, bears, kangaroos and velociraptors involved.

Grounded? LOL

Umm. Grounded was the way the game was intended to play. tekken 3 has shorter health bars and more neutral heavy gameplay than 7 as an example lol.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Grounded? LOL

I mean that there wasn't quite as much of that, sure the elements were there but most of the fights were just martial arts and there was definitely a focus on the authenticity of moves and features to highlight traditional elements etc.

I'm pretty sure you get what I mean and are just being a smart arse...

Reactions: Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I mean that there wasn't quite as much of that, sure the elements were there but most of the fights were just martial arts and there was definitely a focus on the authenticity of moves and features to highlight traditional elements etc.

I'm pretty sure you get what I mean and are just being a smart arse...
True, seeing a clockwork space ninja using real martial arts techniques made all the difference.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Do they still include that Tekken Force mode? Think I rented Tekken... 5? On PS3 and that mode felt like floaty/underwater 2.5/3D interpretation of Streets Of Rage.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
That sounds like complete madness. I’llhave to try that one out sometime.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's very, very beginner friendly (even easier than SF6 and even easier than smash bros beginner friendly) 🤣. It only used one button to attack (O button) that gives 10 different combo strings for each characters, 2 special moves (up, up + O and down, down + O), and 2/3 ultimate moves. And don't get me started on more advanced techniques like cancel combo mechanic etc. Also, there's crazy hidden feature that I can't spoil here 🤣.

• haha
Reactions: Snes nes

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Do they still include that Tekken Force mode? Think I rented Tekken... 5? On PS3 and that mode felt like floaty/underwater 2.5/3D interpretation of Streets Of Rage.
There's leaked screenshots that showed some kind of Tekken Force Mode, or Story Mode sections featuring Tekken Force mode mechanics lol

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's very, very beginner friendly (even easier than SF6 and even easier than smash bros beginner friendly) 🤣. It only used one button to attack (O button) that gives 10 different combo strings for each characters, 2 special moves (up, up + O and down, down + O), and 2/3 ultimate moves. And don't get me started on more advanced techniques like cancel combo mechanic etc. Also, there's crazy hidden feature that I can't spoil here 🤣.

Sounds like a game the fgc would consider competitive Lmao.