I Miss The Early 2000's Edgy Games

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Specifically on the Ps2 we had a lot of games that took onna darker and edgier tone Specifically made for Teens. I was kid during this era and absolutely loved it is so much better than the games we have now that are goody and silly like Fortnite

I miss Jak II, Jak X, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Shadow The Hedgehog, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within,DMC and Eternal Ring, early PS2 title, Fromsoftware.

I really miss this era of gaming, it was the greatest.

Last edited:

Arc

5 Sep 2023
This is the epitome of don’t rain on other’s parades for me. I hated this stuff, lol.

I think I really disliked that there was an expectation for something as lighthearted as Jak and Daxter or Sonic to go dark, then how absolutely ridiculous both of those were.

It was an interesting time though. If you were colorful or happy or too Japanese or any of it, it was officially known as a ‘gay’ game.

I hated that cultural restriction on creativity, as much as I hate modern day restrictions on creativity related to easy offensiveness. But if someone loved the results, more power to you. Maybe there is something neat about apocalypse Jak with a goatee, looking all cool, lol.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This is the epitome of don’t rain on other’s parades for me. I hated this stuff, lol.

I think I really disliked that there was an expectation for something as lighthearted as Jak and Daxter or Sonic to go dark, then how absolutely ridiculous both of those were.

It was an interesting time though. If you were colorful or happy or too Japanese or any of it, it was officially known as a ‘gay’ game.

I hated that cultural restriction on creativity, as much as I hate modern day restrictions on creativity related to easy offensiveness. But if someone loved the results, more power to you. Maybe there is something neat about apocalypse Jak with a goatee, looking all cool, lol.
I remember during the height of the 360's popularity, dudebro culture was at its peak and you were considered weird for liking and playing Japanese games. It was an awful time and part of why I don't understand why so many people want MS and Xbox to get the chance to lead the industry again so badly.

Also, I loved Shadow the Hedgehog as a kid but looking at it now, that game was absolutely terrible. Edgy for the sake of being edgy only appeals to middle school kids.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Im Good Fresh Prince GIF by Peacock

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

I might be in the minority but I played Jak II first, I remember my friend came over and introduced me to the game. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I also loved Jak x and Ratched Deadlocked. Both were so cool

Now we have gone too far in the other direction, every game is goody and silly with cringe meta humour. Just look at the latest saints row or the silly COD Costumes.

Also, I loved Shadow the Hedgehog as a kid but looking at it now, that game was absolutely terrible. Edgy for the sake of being edgy only appeals to middle school kids.

I also loved it as a kid and years later I never understood why it got so much hate. Why is a series not allowed to go darker and edgier?

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Now we have gone too far in the other direction, every game is goody and silly with cringe meta humour. Just look at the latest saints row or the silly COD Costumes.
Can’t say I love this either. It feels like millennials or Reddit gone wild.

But I think the other direction, so to speak, would just be an environment where everyone can make what they want to make, and nothing feels forced. Cutesy platformer? Darker game, cooler protagonist? That’s fine too.