I Need Help Understanding Motherboards

Fahdi

8 Jul 2022
Lahore, Pakistan
I'm still a newbie looking to make my first PC next year. Although, I love GeForce Now, I realized its really limiting in terms of choice of gaming on the service.

So for the life of me, I have everything down for CPU's, GPU's, RAM, Storage, Coolants, Cases and PSU's but I can't figure out which motherboard or mobo to even remotely look at to build my dream PC with the 4K cards from Nvidia if I am able to snag one.

Apparently there are differences in CPU sockets for Intel and AMD. Stuff that's needed to futureproof etc. Anyone wanna help with an ELI 5? The nerds online go way in-depth so I need a simple summary and what's the easiest way of understanding the body of a PC.

Any suggestions to buy a great Mobo are also open.

Thank you.

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
well 5800x3d is a great choice
for mobo the b550 is decent enough , it features gen4 pcie and nvme slots.
x570 has more gen4 slots but i dont think you would need those

Reactions: Fahdi

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm not sure if I'll have the time to help out, but usually on these types of threads It's important to state:

Your budget
The country you're in
What you want to play

Then someone can come up with recommendations for a full build.

Reactions: Fahdi

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm still a newbie looking to make my first PC next year. Although, I love GeForce Now, I realized its really limiting in terms of choice of gaming on the service.

So for the life of me, I have everything down for CPU's, GPU's, RAM, Storage, Coolants, Cases and PSU's but I can't figure out which motherboard or mobo to even remotely look at to build my dream PC with the 4K cards from Nvidia if I am able to snag one.

Apparently there are differences in CPU sockets for Intel and AMD. Stuff that's needed to futureproof etc. Anyone wanna help with an ELI 5? The nerds online go way in-depth so I need a simple summary and what's the easiest way of understanding the body of a PC.

Any suggestions to buy a great Mobo are also open.

Thank you.
go to pcpartspicker.com pick your CPU and it will list the compatible boards from different providers.

Also, as was mentioned before, if you go AMD a B550 board from the big players (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) with a size that fits the case you want to have.

OP
OP
Fahdi

Fahdi

8 Jul 2022
Lahore, Pakistan
I'm not sure if I'll have the time to help out, but usually on these types of threads It's important to state:

Your budget
The country you're in
What you want to play

Then someone can come up with recommendations for a full build.

Almost forgot about this thread.

Budget is $5K
USA
4K Graphics whore at 120 FPS gaming.

I am mostly an Nvidia fan so waiting for the 4080 to drop because I like their DSR, Reflex and DLSS implementations more than just FSR.

To everyone else: I've tried PC parts picker but I don't understand what makes one Mobo better than the other.