I said that Steam doesn't have State of Plays or Showcases: I was wrong

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I had never heard of Next Fests, but then I quickly found out why. No one cares about them.

Sony and to some degree Microsoft and Nintendo come under scrutiny for their shows, but no one cares about Steam Next Fests. No one live streams them, no one has any anticipation for them.

Only one trailer from a Steam Next Feast has ever broken 1 million.

The amount of shit Sony gets for not doing something with Bloodborne a game they didn't even develop, you would think there would be pitchforks out for Half Life 3... but no one actually cares... Everyone is too busy hating on Sony (and to a lesser degree Microsoft and Nintendo) whether they want to play certain games or not.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I had never heard of Next Fests, but then I quickly found out why. No one cares about them.

Sony and to some degree Microsoft and Nintendo come under scrutiny for their shows, but no one cares about Steam Next Fests. No one live streams them, no one has any anticipation for them.

Only one trailer from a Steam Next Feast has ever broken 1 million.

The amount of shit Sony gets for not doing something with Bloodborne a game they didn't even develop, you would think there would be pitchforks out for Half Life 3... but no one actually cares... Everyone is too busy hating on Sony (and to a lesser degree Microsoft and Nintendo) whether they want to play certain games or not.

That's false: Bloodborne was co-developed between From Software and Japan Studio.

You know....the Japan Studio that was founded by SIE (Sony) decades ago? And that SIE (Sony) shut down near the start of this gen (shifting remaining members to Team Asobi)? Yeah....

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That's false: Bloodborne was co-developed between From Software and Japan Studio.

You know....the Japan Studio that was founded by SIE (Sony) decades ago? And that SIE (Sony) shut down near the start of this gen (shifting remaining members to Team Asobi)? Yeah....

Keep pushing this easily disproven narrative.

You can look in the credits.

Japan Studio helped produce the game, but to say they co-developed it is extremely misleading.

Again, you're not good at this.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

And it's a Sony 1st party IP, they could give the task to Bluepoint, like they did with Demon's Soul, another 1st party title developed by From.

Exicide

Veteran
2 Feb 2024

Japan Studio helped produce the game, but to say they co-developed it is extremely misleading.

I mean they went to FromSoftware (more specifically, Miyazaki) with the idea, he had been wanting to make a gothic horror game so he agreed, but on the condition he got to use the next gen hardware, they let him. The man in this video at 0:13 is Masaaki Yamagiwa, he was a producer at Japan Studio at this time, and he is speaking about everything they wanted the game to be like towards the half-way marker, and even commenting about how they wanted to do combat, so yes, Japan Studio did in fact co-develop Bloodborne, they are listed as Sony Computer Entertainment in the credits though at around 2:52, not Japan Studio.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I mean they went to FromSoftware (more specifically, Miyazaki) with the idea, he had been wanting to make a gothic horror game so he agreed, but on the condition he got to use the next gen hardware, they let him. The man in this video at 0:13 is Masaaki Yamagiwa, he was a producer at Japan Studio at this time, and he is speaking about everything they wanted the game to be like towards the half-way marker, and even commenting about how they wanted to do combat, so yes, Japan Studio did in fact co-develop Bloodborne, they are listed as Sony Computer Entertainment in the credits though at around 2:52, not Japan Studio.

Re-read what I said.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Are these videos? I thought steam next fest was just a promotion they did every once in a while on one of the store pages

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Since the early/mid '90s until today, Japan Studio basically has two parts. One that develops internal games (now called Team Asobi, its name changed multiple times). And the other publishes and supports 2nd party games (now called XDEV Japan or XDEV Japanese team, its name changed multiple times), being Bloodborne one of them.

The role of Japan Studio in Bloodborne, like in all the other 2nd party games they did and keep doing, is managing this external lead gamedev studio (in this case FromSoft) to make sure they deliver what they have to deliver on time, on budget, with the desired quality, and making sure they have all the internal and external resources/support teams/outsourcing teams (also managed from that XDEV team) they may need or helping them with some obstacle they may face. Basically, the game production role of the publisher's side.

Meaning that Japan Studio/XDEV team normally also manages the localization, voice acting, art outsourcing, additional programming, testing, marketing etc., a list that may vary a bit depending on each project and team, and their preferences.

They weren't shut down, they kept doing that 2nd party publishing/support thing in recent games like Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin. Same goes with their internal development team, they are still there and recently releasing Astro Bot. They continue doing the same job and in the same building. They simply got rebranded and split, as several times were previously rebranded and split or put together. Even if they kept doing these two things and always in the same building.

They are a great visibility opportunity for indie devs, many get there most of their wishlist/demo plays before launch, or a game sale/preorder bump when already released.

As I remember Valve doesn't gatekeep it other than limiting the amount of Next Fests your game can appear (cant't remember now, I think it was 2 or 3, or maybe 2 or 3 in a row). So any indie -passing the obvious minimal cut- dev can be there.

To be featured in a State of Play or Nintendo stream is way more complicated because there's a very limited amount of game slots per year.

For the player side, this results on way more games being highlighted, so there are more chances of getting one there of your favorite niches. And well, online in the console events many of the featured games have demos.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

Production is a part of co-development. Providing technical support (which is part of what Japan Studio did) is part of co-development.

Maybe if you read deeper into Japan Studio's involvement vs. reading a title credit and stopping there, you'd know a bit more.

Sony owns the Bloodborne IP what even is this conversation

Mibu is one of those posters who will do ANYTHING to absolve SIE of any blame for any decision that can even be slightly viewed as a negative. Ever.

Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Production is a part of co-development. Providing technical support (which is part of what Japan Studio did) is part of co-development.

Maybe if you read deeper into Japan Studio's involvement vs. reading a title credit and stopping there, you'd know a bit more.

There is nothing that Japan Studios did for Bloodborne that can't be done by xdev or by FromSoftware themselves in the future.

You don't want to look at the credits, because it exposes the fact that you're wrong.

Mibu is one of those posters who will do ANYTHING to absolve SIE of any blame for any decision that can even be slightly viewed as a negative. Ever.

I'm critical of SIE when it's appropriate to criticize them and I criticize them often.

I do think they should announce something re: Bloodborne. I think it's a no brainer and that they should have announced it after the success of Elden Ring.

More importantly, I think they should have bought FromSoftware and they've had many opportunities to do so.

Dorukhan842

5 Aug 2023
Next Fests are just a week-long event where demos for upcoming games from mostly indie developers are available to download and play... There is no presentation or anything of the sort. There is nothing to stream, other than people trying out the demos which plenty of people and channels do. OP is steeped in ignorance.

All Might

Banned
10 Jul 2024

And even if it was just production... production is part of development.

You're not good at this.

Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

And even if it was just production... production is part of development.

You're not good at this.

Co-development implies that they were instrumental in the design and programming of this game. They weren't. Nor are they crucial to remaking it or creating a sequel. Hence why saying co-development is misleading.

IT is part of development and no one is going to say the IT team were co-developers on this.

Just stop.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
Steam living rent-free in OPs head.

Btw, next fest is a week-long promotion of upcoming indie games where the main objective is to release demos for indie games.

OP not only has Steam living rent-free in the head, but also doesn't know what next fest is.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

All Might

Banned
10 Jul 2024
Co-development implies that they were instrumental in the design and programming of this game. They weren't. Nor are they crucial to remaking it or creating a sequel. Hence why saying co-development is misleading.

IT is part of development and no one is going to say the IT team were co-developers on this.

Just stop.
I don't give a shit about what you think. Production is part of game development, the same way beta testing is.