[IGN] MLB The Show 23 Review - 9/10

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

https://www.ign.com/articles/mlb-the-show-23-review

It’s a tale as old as sports: an established star has an off year, and people begin to wonder if this is the beginning of their long slide into mediocrity. Then, they come roaring back with a season for the ages, putting all doubts to rest as to who sits at the pinnacle of the sport. After having somewhat of a down year of its own in 2022, MLB The Show 23 has returned to claim its crown as the undisputed king of simulation baseball with a long list of upgrades, gameplay shakeups, and an incredible new mode that redefines what the sports genre is capable of.

The most signifiant addition to MLB The Show 23 is the Negro Leagues mode, a dedicated single-player story focused on the legends of a league that ran parallel to the MLB from 1920 to 1948. Eight different players are highlighted, from the Legendary Satchel Paige to the groundbreaking Jackie Robinson. Each is lovingly introduced by Negro Leagues Baseball Museum President Bob Kendrick, with missions that recreate exciting moments from their careers. One mission begins with a story about Rube Foster's devastating “fadeaway," a pitch better known today as a screwball, only to drop me into a game where I needed to notch two strike outs using just that pitch. As I worked through the batters, the returning two-man announcer team of Boog Sciambi and Chris Singleton provided interesting insights about Foster and his success with the fadeaway.

The Negro Leagues storyline focuses on the triumphs of the players, but that doesn’t mean it shies away from the prejudice of the era and the reasons the Leagues existed to begin with. It formed long before the Civil Rights movement and did a lot to bridge a massive racial divide, bringing in audiences and filling the stands with people of all colors even as the players featured in these stories faced racism and segregation. It’s an important account that transcends baseball, and a credit to the developer for its inclusion. Even as a lifelong lover of both baseball and history, most of what I saw and heard was new to me. The stories are entertaining, powerful, and often end with me in periods of quiet reflection

New Facets on the Diamond​

Diamond Dynasty, which combines baseball card collection with a slew of single-player and online multiplayer modes, has undergone a number of smart changes. The basic idea is the same: you complete challenges or spend Stubs to unlock cards, which can then be used to assemble a team. The cards range from today’s players to stars from the World Baseball Classic, legends of baseball’s past, to the featured players from the Negro Leagues. It’s great for scratching that live service itch for those that enjoy the grind in a way that feels compelling, but not coercive.

Rounding out the roster​

The Show has a deep roster of modes after nearly two decades of iteration, and it seems like all of them have received at least some updates for the better. Road to the Show, which puts you in the career of a created player working your way up to the big leagues, has added an easy-to-use face scanning feature and a long needed overhaul to its user interface. Cool new cutscenes have been added, including a brand new introduction sequence, and slowly building your attributes up remains as compelling as ever. Information about how the individual plays you make affect your progression is given in greater detail, too, and the challenges offered at crucial moments in games remain exceptionally rewarding to complete.

Another year of development on the current generation of consoles continues to pay graphical dividends as well. Gorgeous and lifelike recreations of stadiums, now including exteriors, make it easy to get lost in the spectacle. Team-specific VFX packages introduce games with a more personal touch, and a new batch of animations, like the Mariners signature victory dance, push it all closer and closer to matching what you see on tv.

Verdict​

After a somewhat disappointing 2022, it’s amazing how far forward Sony San Diego has pushed MLB The Show 23. It seems like every element has received attention, whether its the improved scouting in the Franchise mode, updates to match the current MLB rulebook, or a vastly more helpful practice mode. This remains a gorgeous showcase for baseball, with some of the most lifelike sights and sounds to behold in a sports game. It remains to be seen if Sets and Seasons in Diamond Dynasty will frustrate in the long run, but the crowning achievement this year is the Negro Leagues mode. This playable piece of baseball history is a triumph, presented with care, grace, and attention to detail. It’s courageous and bold, like the pioneers it highlights, and it’s astonishing to experience something so affecting from a baseball game. If for nothing else, that alone makes MLB The Show 23 a must-play.

IMG_2512.jpeg

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sony really should have fought harder to keep it exclusive. Call MLB's bluff, redirect the team to something else for a few years and let fans make do with Out of The Park or whatever its called.

edit: Actually, I felt like Sony always undersold the Show. Never giving it a spot on stage at E3 despite it being the only credible baseball game for nearly a decade, presumably not doing much to advertise it (I never got ads for it, anyway.)

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
What Sony San Diego should be doing is expanding into a sporting powerhouse covering the sports that EA and 2K aren't

The obvious one is Cricket, which is the second most popular sport in the world and can't get a good game. Lots of parallels to baseball too

Then there is rugby, tennis, boxing which have struggled to get any decent games. Imagine they just go with "the Show" branding for all of it "Cricket The Show 24"

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony really should have fought harder to keep it exclusive. Call MLB's bluff, redirect the team to something else for a few years and let fans make do with Out of The Park or whatever its called.

edit: Actually, I felt like Sony always undersold the Show. Never giving it a spot on stage at E3 despite it being the only credible baseball game for nearly a decade, presumably not doing much to advertise it (I never got ads for it, anyway.)
I think it's more that people hate seeing sports games at press conferences

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Not much SONY can do when it comes to MLB license, its up to MLB in how they want to distribute their license.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
And everybody hated EA conferences

I don't think 2K have been to E3 as far back as I can remember
GTA doesn't show up, but I've seen other 2K stuff at console companies pressers before.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not much SONY can do when it comes to MLB license, its up to MLB in how they want to distribute their license.
They can add it to PS+ so at least they wouldn't look so bad. If the deal is to forever become a Gamepass day one game they should just stop making it.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

That's because most people in the planet don't care about Baseball.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony needs more annual franchises like MLB if they want to compete with COD. That's why an EA or Take Two acquisition would make sense. MLB is too US centric.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony needs more annual franchises like MLB if they want to compete with COD. That's why an EA or Take Two acquisition would make sense. MLB is too US centric.
Cricket would do 10x the sales if they could get it into the Indian market

I don't know if Indians even buy games though

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

I remember reading something about the Indian console market not being that big. Fifa is the real worldwide seller, and if the ABK acquisition goes through Sony better be pulling up to EA with the moneyload.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That's because most people in the planet don't care about Baseball.
Most people on the planet, even those interested in Playstation, don't care about any given title. Even the biggest games don't have over 50 percent market penetration. Hell, NA and Japan, two of game consoles' three major markets, do care about it. Its just the least important of the three that doesn't. So yeah, baseball sells and having the only good "realistic styled" (sorry, Powapuro fans) game should have been a huge sell for Playstation.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

The first console game targetted and made specifically for India was a cricket game on the, IIRC, 360. They did not make a second one.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Are the features it lost when moved to multiplatform back?
Because for PS users it was a scam to pay more for less.

Edit - I just looked meta… 79 with 15 reviews… doesn’t seems to have much improved since it changed to multiplatform 🤷‍♂️

It used to be around 85 meta before.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zzero