Inside Ubisoft - Form Low Morale to Internal Tensions

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1706666938351.png

As industry-wide layoffs continue to plague headlines, Ubisoft, the sixth-largest video game company by employees, is at a crossroads. Internally, morale is at an all-time low and employees fear that the publisher could be next to see a major restructuring, inevitably resulting in a high number of people losing their jobs.

The lack of job security is the current feeling felt across the industry, but as Ubisoft leadership continues its never-ending ambition to pursue trends, usually resulting in wasted resources or lackluster results, it won’t be them shown the door if the company needs to reduce costs.

Since the start of 2023, over 15,000 game industry workers have lost their jobs, with over 5600 being lost in January 2024 alone. Ubisoft hasn’t escaped unscathed, as 124 layoffs hit the company in November 2023, but sources, who spoke with Insider Gaming under the condition of anonymity, believe that the writing is on the wall and that number is likely to grow.

But with one of its best pipelines of games in over a decade, why exactly are internal tensions at boiling point? Over the past several months, I’ve been speaking to a number of employees at the company to understand why.

The Wild Goose Chase​

In recent years, Ubisoft’s strategy has moved away from innovation and creativity and led the company on a wild goose chase to produce what was popular at the time. From trying to produce the next colossal free-to-play battle royale to its desire for NFTs and web3, the never-ending pursuit has left countless projects being canned, talent being wasted, and a massive amount of money being flushed down the toilet.

At one point in late 2021 to early 2022, the company had around a dozen battle royale games in development, sources said. Many of these projects ultimately failed to captivate players during playtesting and were subsequently canceled.

One such game was Ghost Recon: Frontline, which met fan pushback on its announcement due to the game not aligning with player interests. One of the top comments from its official reveal trailer reads, “The Community: we want a return to roots hardcore tactical stealthy shooter – Ubisoft: We hear you, here’s a Battle Royal game”. It was a sentiment not just reflected by YouTube comments either, as after four years of development, the game was canceled in the summer of 2022 for an undisclosed reason. Four other unannounced games were also publically canceled from mid-2022 to January 2023, in addition to Splinter Cell VR and Project Q.

Battle royale games weren’t Ubisoft’s only trend-chasing impulse though, in late 2021, the company announced Ubisoft Quartz – its attempt to take advantage of the then NFT boom. The announcement was publically slammed, and internally, employees felt embarrassed to even be associated with a company that made such a prolific out-of-touch announcement. Two years on, it seems like Ubisoft has realized that NFTs are not the money-making technology it thought it was. Still, the company continues to quietly work in the NFT/web3 sphere on projects like Champions Tactics: Grimoria Chronicles.

Looking ahead, the publisher’s desires currently lie with live service and extraction-based shooters. Insider Gaming understands that at least three major extraction-based shooters are in development at the publisher. The Division Heartland (release date TBA), Far Cry’s Project Maverick (tentative 2025 release), and a new IP set in World War 2 that is forecasted to release around 2026-2027. Whether or not all of these games will be released remains to be seen, but for those working on the projects, it’s feared that once again, the boat may have sailed by the time they are released.

Constant Delays & Management​

In recent years, there has been one thing that you can probably count on with a Ubisoft game – its inevitable delay. It’s a frustration that’s been felt publically and internally, mostly boiling down to unrealistic internal deadlines and poor management.

One of the most well-known examples of constant delays is Skull and Bones, the decade-long-in-development pirate game that has seen six public delays. The game is estimated to have cost in the region of $200 million to produce, a figure that is not expected to be made back, sources said. For the most part, delays stemmed from a plague of power-hungry managers trying to elevate their careers. The constant changes in vision created a rotten atmosphere, with some developers confused as to what they were meant to be doing on a day-to-day basis.

“Some days I would just be sat there watching YouTube videos”, said one former employee who worked on the project.

Eventually, though, the dust finally settled, and the foundations were finally laid on what Skull and Bones was going to be. Internal delays then became public delays as Ubisoft Singapore faced a series of unrealistic deadlines.

Unfortunately, Skull and Bones isn’t the only game to suffer this fate either. Poor management is a publisher-wide issue, from Beyond Good and Evil 2, which has been in development hell for nearly 15 years and is still nowhere near completion, to XDefiant, the free-to-play first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft San Francisco which has faced near-monthly internal delays because of last minute decisions to include additional features that break the current build.

More inside article..

Last edited:

Arc

5 Sep 2023
I’m not some financial expert or professional.

All I can offer is that Ubisoft seems lost between annualized franchises and desperate attempts to chase the success of others, all at bigger and bigger budgets, making failures a dangerous prospect.

My suggestion is that Ubisoft get back to making lower budget (maybe not as low as the latest PoP although that’s a good example of varying things), more passionate stuff. They were always a good developer, and while some time has passed, I believe that to still be true.

Give the fans what they want. Also let the devs make stuff they feel is awesome. Let there be some natural excitement or guiding light at Ubisoft again. I’m sure nothing will stop the AC train, and that’s fine too. But I think Ubisoft should diversify out underneath that, light a fire under their devs, and find the next mega franchises, when ideas hit it big.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I’m not some financial expert or professional.

All I can offer is that Ubisoft seems lost between annualized franchises and desperate attempts to chase the success of others, all at bigger and bigger budgets, making failures a dangerous prospect.

My suggestion is that Ubisoft get back to making lower budget (maybe not as low as the latest PoP although that’s a good example of varying things), more passionate stuff. They were always a good developer, and while some time has passed, I believe that to still be true.

Give the fans what they want. Also let the devs make stuff they feel is awesome. Let there be some natural excitement or guiding light at Ubisoft again. I’m sure nothing will stop the AC train, and that’s fine too. But I think Ubisoft should diversify out underneath that, light a fire under their devs, and find the next mega franchises, when ideas hit it big.
Saturation is a big thing with them although the new Assn Creeds Seem to be lower budgeted games announced, also Prince of Persia is too.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
2008 is when I realized that Ubisoft sucked in an irredeemable way, they just have an extremely poor approach at making games. I'm surprised it took this long for people to come to terms with it. Their open world games are the worst offenders.
I held on longer but I have t bought an u I game since 2018. They are just such mid generic trash these days. They need to stop with the licensed games, make new single player ip, back off if AC because I am just so tired of that sht, same with far cry., stop with the random low quality gaas bullsht. The guillemot family needs to go they are just really toxic and don’t belonging in gaming.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Oh yeah, whatever happened to XDefiant. Shouldn't it have been out months ago?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
2008 is when I realized that Ubisoft sucked in an irredeemable way, they just have an extremely poor approach at making games. I'm surprised it took this long for people to come to terms with it. Their open world games are the worst offenders.

They used to be so good in the ps2 days before the Rabbids gamess took over.

Rayman 2 & 3
Beyond Good & Evil
Splinter Cell
Prince of Persia
Brothers in Arms
Shaun white's snowboarding
Rainbow Six

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They used to be so good in the ps2 days before the Rabbids gamess took over.

Rayman 2 & 3
Beyond Good & Evil
Splinter Cell
Prince of Persia
Brothers in Arms
Shaun white's snowboarding
Rainbow Six
Then they went the COD saturation route.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I like how Tom posed this on twitter as question to devs pretty much saying “any 343 and Ubisoft devs (have any gossip for me.)” A week later…. Here’s the hit piece.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Shame Ubisoft never got its Apex legends or Fifa. Otherwise they are better game developers than EA. EA just riding on those games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Shame Ubisoft never got its Apex legends or Fifa. Otherwise they are better game developers than EA. EA just riding on those games

Rainbow Six is arguably the most successful “traditional” pvp shooter on the market. Can’t say they don’t have anything. It’s been a top 10 game on consoles for nearly a decade.

But seeing how they incubated like 20 BRs… yikes. You can see where they piss away resources.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Rainbow Six is arguably the most successful “traditional” pvp shooter on the market. Can’t say they don’t have anything. It’s been a top 10 game on consoles for nearly a decade.

But seeing how they incubated like 20 BRs… yikes. You can see where they piss away resources.
Does it make that Fifa or Apex money though? I dont even know?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Does it make that Fifa or Apex money though? I dont even know?

It’s not f2p and charges premium for dlc etc. I doubt it does anywhere close to apex money. But it’s definitely a big winner for them.

They have mass market products but it’s kinda only Rainbow Six and Asscreed if you ask me.

They need something kid friendly in this area for megabucks.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It’s not f2p and charges premium for dlc etc. I doubt it does anywhere close to apex money. But it’s definitely a big winner for them.

They have mass market products but it’s kinda only Rainbow Six and Asscreed if you ask me.

They need something kid friendly in this area for megabucks.
Be nice to see them have some more success
Id love to see another 3D Rayman personally.
What happened to Beyond good and Evil 2?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Yeah Rainbow Six has been popular through the years.