Interview: PlateUp! Dev Talks About 'The Benefits' Of Being Included In Xbox Game Pass

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
May not age well but hey it's good to hear both sides...

Pure Xbox: On the Xbox side of things, PlateUp! is bringing its console version to Game Pass on day one. Was that an easy decision for you to make and how has the whole process been working with Microsoft?

Alastair: Definitely an easy choice. For my first game, PlateUp! has been a massive success, and I’m keen to bring it to as many players as possible. Game Pass is an obvious way to let as many people as possible experience the game. It’s been overwhelming to see the reception it’s had on PC and I hope that console players enjoy it as much as our PC players have. Bringing the game to Xbox has been a pretty smooth process overall. For my next game I’d probably do a few things differently when making the game, but thankfully there haven’t been any major hiccups!

Pure Xbox: Who approached who when it came to landing this game on Xbox Game Pass? Were Microsoft always keen, or did you present the idea to the Xbox team?

Simon: I’ve worked with the Game Pass team since it launched so have seen for myself the benefits of having a game in the service. Even before PlateUp! launched we could see we had a highly engaged community, and one which would play the game for extraordinary amounts of time during the pre-release playtests. We are really keen to get the game into the hands of as many people as possible, so Game Pass seemed the natural fit - and thankfully Microsoft agreed. They’ve been incredibly supportive during development and I can’t wait to see what players make of it on launch.

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Pure Xbox: On the Xbox side of things, PlateUp! is bringing its console version to Game Pass on day one. Was that an easy decision for you to make and how has the whole process been working with Microsoft?

Alastair: Definitely an easy choice. For my first game, PlateUp! has been a massive success, and I’m keen to bring it to as many players as possible. Game Pass is an obvious way to let as many people as possible experience the game. It’s been overwhelming to see the reception it’s had on PC and I hope that console players enjoy it as much as our PC players have. Bringing the game to Xbox has been a pretty smooth process overall. For my next game I’d probably do a few things differently when making the game, but thankfully there haven’t been any major hiccups!

Pure Xbox: Who approached who when it came to landing this game on Xbox Game Pass? Were Microsoft always keen, or did you present the idea to the Xbox team?

Simon: I’ve worked with the Game Pass team since it launched so have seen for myself the benefits of having a game in the service. Even before PlateUp! launched we could see we had a highly engaged community, and one which would play the game for extraordinary amounts of time during the pre-release playtests. We are really keen to get the game into the hands of as many people as possible, so Game Pass seemed the natural fit - and thankfully Microsoft agreed. They’ve been incredibly supportive during development and I can’t wait to see what players make of it on launch.
He got a fat cheque, end of story.

emsoc

4 Feb 2024

spongebob squarepants interview GIF

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I think all platforms should have a small indie games subscription. Seems to benefit the developers, platform and users while also being financially viable.

For AA-AAA; ehh. The financial part of it doesn't seem to make sense (until the sub costs like $40 a month).

reziel

Banned
12 Jun 2023

Simon's comment of getting the game into the hands of as many people as possible is a doubled edged sword. Gamepass may bring more exposure but in terms of sales when you compare a $19.99 game on console to a $9.99 on steam you can easily see what is going to get more sales in the end. On another note wonder how much they were actually offered.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Simon's comment of getting the game into the hands of as many people as possible is a doubled edged sword. Gamepass may bring more exposure but in terms of sales when you compare a $19.99 game on console to a $9.99 on steam you can easily see what is going to get more sales in the end. On another note wonder how much they were actually offered.
Yeah would love to hear the amount.

Reactions: reziel