Is a CRT the best way to play PS2 (and PS1)?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I wish I could buy one of those 00's widescreen crt tv with component for my ps1 and PS2. Bet if I picked one up off Craigslist or Gumtree

it'd die within 6 months and I don't think there are any tv repair joints around here anymore. Also there are hardly any good ones when I do take a look, it's mostly just old people trying to dump their Phillips or Sanyo from the 90's, nothing good like the Sony Wega or Trinitron.

The other issue is size, these things take up a lot of space bur if they are the best ways to play Ps1/2 games i might have to just find a way for it to work.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I wish I could buy one of those 00's widescreen crt tv with component for my ps1 and PS2. Bet if I picked one up off Craigslist or Gumtree

it'd die within 6 months and I don't think there are any tv repair joints around here anymore. Also there are hardly any good ones when I do take a look, it's mostly just old people trying to dump their Phillips or Sanyo from the 90's, nothing good like the Sony Wega or Trinitron.

The other issue is size, these things take up a lot of space bur if they are the best ways to play Ps1/2 games i might have to just find a way for it to work.
I guess it depends how important getting the exact same look as when you use to play the games is.
Heres some options if money isnt an issue and don’t want the CRT route.

Retrotink, Framemiester and OSSC are good options.

The HDMI mod is what Im gonna try out next year for FAT PS2

Im not as particular as some people. My brother can really tell the difference so he went the CRT route for his retro gaming. Im going HDMI mods and upscalers for my big screen

Reactions: Box

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Currently For PS1 I have a modded PS1 mini I got for free. Wireless controllers, have hundreds of games and HDMI.
But will see how BC on the HDMI modded PS2 will be before I try a classic PS1 modded.

Im looking to have modded versions of my classic consoles or mini’s. All set up with Wireless controlles, HDMI and all the games. Framemiester/OSSC or Retrotink.
Snes, PS1, Megadrive and mostly done. Next is NES, PS2, Xbox OG, Gamecub, N64 and repair my Saturn with Satirator.

Reactions: Box

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yes, because you can't patches interlace or PAL horrendous 50Hz refresh rate.

I have a 18 inches 5:3 Sharp CRT, that thing have been through the WC Final in 2002, along with PS2.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Box