Is the reason Sony went with the name Vita is because they didn't want PSP 2 to sound worse to 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
So I've been thinking about this since 2016 when we got IGN's unfiltered interview from former Xbox chief Robbie Bach and that is they didn't want to call the Xbox 360 the Xbox 2 and have it seem worse to PS3 just by name and they thought of originally calling it just Xbox 3 before they finally came up with 360.

Well Sony is the king of having the naming science of your successor system by calling the next one the same thing but adding +1 to the number on the end!
PS1 (Which use to just be called PlayStation or PSX until around the PS One slimmer system came out from what I remember!)
PS2
PS3
PS4/PS4 Pro
PS5
---------------------------------------
PSVR
PSVR 2
---------------------------------------
then finally we get
PSP and it's follow up PS VITA!

and the only reason I can thing of why Sony handhelds broke this cycle is because they didn't want PSP 2 to sound worse to 3DS when parents are looking for a new handheld for their kids. (which is probably still a big market for the PSP even though I remember most teens and adults were drawn to the PSP.)
Do you believe this theory or could it be something else? I think I heard Samsung and other smart phone makers will straight up skip numbers in their next smart phone so it doesn't sound worse than the new iphone or other competitor phones!
Also how cool would it be if we got the Switch 2 in March - June of 2023 and Sony decided to make a new handheld called PSP 3 in 2024 to get revenge for the vita an retroactively call the vita the PSP 2 like how the original PlayStation got the Name PlayStation 1 later in its life close to when the PS2 was coming out!
I doubt this will happen because Sony probably doesn't want to spread it's studios too thin with PS5, PSVR 2, and a new handheld but imagine if they just treated the PSP 3 as a portable PS4 that could play PS1 classics, PS2 classics, Digital PSP games, Digital Vita Games, Digital PS4 games and stream PS3 and PS5 games that would be pretty neat.

• brain
Reactions: ParaSeoul
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Which is kind of ironic as Sony never really gave it one...
to be fair Sony didn't have much they could do about it. I don't know how much you remember about 2011-2012 Sony but they were super close to going out of business.
this is from November 2012: https://www.ft.com/content/6190edbe-348a-11e2-8986-00144feabdc0#ixzz2CwmKgQHz
and Sony was actually super supportive of the Vita at first
it launched with:
Escape Plan (PSN Only)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
wipEout 2048

and in march 2012 we got:
MLB 12 The Show
Reality Fighters
Unit 13
and in June 12th, 2012:
Gravity Rush

unfortunately Sony at that time couldn't afford a flop due to being so much in debt
and thanks to unit 13 not selling they had to close zipper interactive
wipeout 2048's sales forced them to close studio liverpool (Psygnosis)
and Bigbig studios got closed down before the North American release of little deviants but I'm sure the Japanese sales of the game made them do it
so they lost 3 studios that heavily supported the PSP that was no longer there for the vita and I imagine after sales of Uncharted golden abyss Sony bend was never going to be put on making big budget vita games after that!

had they not lost so much money during the PS3 era due to decisions they made with the cell processor and how much it they sold it at a lost at first and how much market share they lost to the wii and 360 I guarantee you Sony would of supported the vita much like every other system they made.

Status
Not open for further replies.