It's the tail end of 2023 and Ray Tracing...

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
tracing is still not worth the sacrifice in frames and performance. Do you know how awesome some of the newer games could look if they hadn't gone down the ray tracing path and focused on other techniques? Am I being cynical or misguided for this thinking? ray tracing still eats up too much of the processing power and we're stuck with AI algorithms and hardware focused on it that could have easily made bigger strides in other departments. I'm not impressed with ray tracing but it seems the populace is or amd wouldn't be making all their new gpus with ai hardware for it.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
tracing is still not worth the sacrifice in frames and performance. Do you know how awesome some of the newer games could look if they hadn't gone down the ray tracing path and focused on other techniques? Am I being cynical or misguided for this thinking? ray tracing still eats up too much of the processing power and we're stuck with AI algorithms and hardware focused on it that could have easily made bigger strides in other departments. I'm not impressed with ray tracing but it seems the populace is or amd wouldn't be making all their new gpus with ai hardware for it.
Lol Tell Insomniac that. They nailed the Ray Tracing, with the graphics and the performance.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
RT global illumination looks crazy but hardware is not up to the task for detailed AAA games.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
tracing is still not worth the sacrifice in frames and performance.
Hardware is too weak. It's not the fault of ray-tracing itself.

Do you know how awesome some of the newer games could look if they hadn't gone down the ray tracing path and focused on other techniques?
There are no other techniques possible. They've tried them all. You aren't going to get any better without casting rays.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
My only problem with classical techniques is SSR specially in large open water or lakes areas. SSR just doesn't work. Cube maps are shitty

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
My only problem with classical techniques is SSR specially in large open water or lakes areas. SSR just doesn't work. Cube maps are shitty
The main things for me is the GI light probes (looks horrible on skin), the non-casting shadow light sources, and lack of using AO aggressively on ALL objects in the scene including clothing.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Hardware is too weak. It's not the fault of ray-tracing itself.
The "hardware is too weak" isn’t a valid reason.

We're not using Finite Element Method simulations for dynamical simulation of videogame physics on destruction and clothes because "the hardware is too weak". We use highly simplified physics instead. We also don't use multibody simulations based on full musculoskeletal human models for character physics, we use simplified ragdolls because "the hardware is too weak".

No one is trying to sell $2000 coprocessors for FEM reallistic physics or multybody dynamics for reallistic character movement.
Why some people find it acceptable for reallistic lighting simulations is Nvidia's greatest achievement in marketing.

Reactions: Arc

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its not RT specifically thats the problem its pushing graphics to the absolute max in a way that impacts performance in general. RT is just another tool to be used and abused.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

We're not using Finite Element Method simulations for dynamical simulation of videogame physics on destruction and clothes because "the hardware is too weak". We use highly simplified physics instead. We also don't use multibody simulations based on full musculoskeletal human models for character physics, we use simplified ragdolls because "the hardware is too weak".

No one is trying to sell $2000 coprocessors for FEM reallistic physics or multybody dynamics for reallistic character movement.
Why some people find it acceptable for reallistic lighting simulations is Nvidia's greatest achievement in marketing.
I think the problem is that reasonable approximations aren't easy to find because of how sensitive humans are to changes in lighting so if you try to use more computationally light solutions it looks wrong

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Let me be more clear then. The consoles don't have the bandwidth or compute power to render full path-traced rendering in anything realtime from 30Hz and higher. If they did, they wouldn't be struggling with normal raster rendering at native 4k/60FPS. It is what it is. They'll get there some day.. just not this generation.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
It’s just not going to be there, console-wise until next-gen. Even PS5 Pro will have to keep a regular, high-res, performant PS5 version in mind and can’t go too crazy.

Developers either need to dial down some aspects of their game to make ray-tracing possible, much like Metro did with being a last-gen game, or use it sparingly and smartly to enhance the scene, like Insomniac is.

Reactions: Frozone

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023

isn’t another reason for a lot of that besides requiring top of the line hardware is that it’s something a consumer wouldn’t notice unless they inspected the models closely?

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
isn’t another reason for a lot of that besides requiring top of the line hardware is that it’s something a consumer wouldn’t notice unless they inspected the models closely?
No. A consumer would notice the massive difference in lighting and shading. You can tell the difference between a modern CGI movie and a game right?

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
No. A consumer would notice the massive difference in lighting and shading. You can tell the difference between a modern CGI movie and a game right?

yes i can tell the difference. I’ve not much clue on what this all is though not an area I’d know much about tbh.

Yeah you know what I really earned that brain emote lmao.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Frozone

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
wASCfIP.jpg