It's time for Microsoft to pull the plug on Xbox.

ARCANE

21 Jun 2022
Who do they have that could honestly replace Phil and do a decent job so far no one stands out who would be capable

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Man I feel bad for Todd Howard. Microsoft is gonna force Bethesda to release Starfield even hotter than usual.

All BGS releases pretty much launch at a similar state to Cyberpunk’s launch.

They’re gonna need to delay further and micirosoft needs those gamepass subs asap. So fucked.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I dont see Xbox lasting much longer in the console market tbh. No matter what Phil the used car salesman says their consoles sales are 30% down year on year, games arent selling, First party despite having more studios arent putting out more or better games, The quality of their first party games is dogshit, Gamepass is stagnating, the ABK deal just got blocked by the CMA, their own games are running and selling better on Playstation and Nintendo. Been nothing negative news for Xbox the past month and there really isnt anything good to look foward to with Xbox. They arent providing Playstation any good competition

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The notion that Xbox Series will do better against Spider-man 2 and possibly a PS5 Slim/price cut seems absurd.

The Series S gets becomes a worse proposition with each passing day due to how weak it is and even at discounted price they are not moving many units.

Things just keeping adding up against Xbox, MS won't be able to go back in time and fix the last 10 years and Sony won't just wait for MS to catch up. Give me a single advantage Xbox has right now, a single one.

D

Deleted member 417

Yea, you are in denial if you think owning a Xbox over a PS1 or a 360 over a PS3 was the superior experience for those gens.

Keep dreaming of this fabled Xbox come back. It's not going to happen any time soon and until then MS will just keep tryimg to destroy the viability of the console market.
Xbox wasn't out during the PS1, but i'll assume that was a typo, it happens. I had a Dreamcast over a Ps2 which was a superior experience, although it is subjective.

Xbox 360 launched first, cheaper and had games playable before PS3, because it launched first. The Xbox 360 was widely accepted as the better console for the first few years of the gen. Around 2008 or 2010 depending on your preference, Sony reduced the cost of the Ps3 and started releasing technically superior games. Uncharted (2?) blew Gears 3 (which had the best graphics on xbox 360 to that point) away by a land slide.

It's not a dream of an xbox come back. They can still come back, even if they choose not to or don't have the skills to do so. Atari and Sega faced the same fate.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xbox wasn't out during the PS1, but i'll assume that was a typo, it happens. I had a Dreamcast over a Ps2 which was a superior experience, although it is subjective.

Xbox 360 launched first, cheaper and had games playable before PS3, because it launched first. The Xbox 360 was widely accepted as the better console for the first few years of the gen. Around 2008 or 2010 depending on your preference, Sony reduced the cost of the Ps3 and started releasing technically superior games. Uncharted (2?) blew Gears 3 (which had the best graphics on xbox 360 to that point) away by a land slide.

It's not a dream of an xbox come back. They can still come back, even if they choose not to or don't have the skills to do so. Atari and Sega faced the same fate.
Meant to say PS2, Xbox didn't stand a chance, completely outclassed.

I had a 360, stop the cap, PS3 was a much better console over the course of that gen. The 360 had tons of problems people ignore like the fact that at first it didn't even come with HDMI, HDD, Wifi and it even had models without wireless controllers. It was a cheap console that performed better than the PS3 because the PS3 had massive problems in it's design.

It's pretty much all on Sony because the PS3 hardware was absolutely insane and backfired beautifully. Despite all that the PS3 had going against it, it still turned things around and had a much better gen overall than the 360. Sony handled it to MS during that gen and they still managed to fumble, despite also getting a massive break midgen with the success of the Kinect.

The early fat PS3 that everyone dunked on turned out to be the best console of that gen and to this day it is still the most expensive console of that gen and the one most valued by collectors because of it's retro features.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 417

Meant to say PS2, Xbox didn't stand a chance, completely outclassed.
It was up against the best selling console Sony had made, as a new entrant in the industry, under the banner of the then-univserally-hated Microsoft. The games they launched for that console were some of the best the console industry has known and were experimental to boot. Sony had Japanese RPG's while Microsoft started with the westernised ones. Morrowind was on OG xbox, as well as a throng of other, mostly unknown, yet genre defining games. It wasn't a wet blanket of a console.

it launched with 4 controller ports, an ethernet port and HDD. All of those Sony had to launch as accessories after the fact. On top of that, Sony sat on their laurels during the opening of the PS2 gen because they knew Sega had fucked it. It was the start of arrogant Sony. MS pushed them to do better, which helped the industry for all concerned.

I had a 360, stop the cap, PS3 was a much better console over the course of that gen. The 360 had tons of problems people ignore like the fact that at first it didn't even come with HDMI, Wifi and it even had models without wireless controllers. It was a cheap console that performed better than the PS3 because the PS3 had massive problems in it's design. It's pretty much all on Sony because the PS3 hardware was absolutely insane and backfired beautifully.
By the end, the PS3 was technically more capable but Sony completely botched the PS3, with the biggest victim being The Cell, which is still one of the most capable CPU's and unrivalled today. Microsoft tried to offer slimmed down version of their consoles to bring the price down as both the PS3 and 360 had multi-core CPUs, something PC users didn't have access to, at least not at a reasonable price.

Despite all that the PS3 had going against it, it still turned things around and had a much better gen overall than the 360.
As Sony dropped the ball at the start of the gen, Microsoft decided to 'hold my beer', with a flurry of needless, pointless consoles and a 3 year late rush to try and capture the motion-control casual market which had been saturated by the Wii. The push for Kinect was the death knell for Microsoft, something they were warned about and told about time and time again. They get not sympathy for fucking everything up from there. Coincidently, Phil Spencer having any say in the Xbox department killed the xbox, little else.

The early fat PS3 that everyone dunked on turned out to be the best console of that gen and to this day it is still the most expensive console of that gen and the one valued by collectors because of it's retro features.
Respect for Sony for trying to do BC by putting a console inside another one. It was certainly a solution to the BC problem. Let's not forget their messaging of "get a second job".

When the dust settled, the PS360 gen was my favourite for the business side of things. There were two threads running concurrently that consisted of; complete fuck ups and genius-level moves, with Sony and MS doing a baton race mid gen to swap over. Sony start by fucking up and MS ended by fucking up.

One could make a very strong argument that the Xbox division went to complete shit because of Spencer and his removal could take them back to when they were actually competent in the market.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It was up against the best selling console Sony had made, as a new entrant in the industry, under the banner of the then-univserally-hated Microsoft. The games they launched for that console were some of the best the console industry has known and were experimental to boot. Sony had Japanese RPG's while Microsoft started with the westernised ones. Morrowind was on OG xbox, as well as a throng of other, mostly unknown, yet genre defining games. It wasn't a wet blanket of a console.

it launched with 4 controller ports, an ethernet port and HDD. All of those Sony had to launch as accessories after the fact. On top of that, Sony sat on their laurels during the opening of the PS2 gen because they knew Sega had fucked it. It was the start of arrogant Sony. MS pushed them to do better, which helped the industry for all concerned.

By the end, the PS3 was technically more capable but Sony completely botched the PS3, with the biggest victim being The Cell, which is still one of the most capable CPU's and unrivalled today. Microsoft tried to offer slimmed down version of their consoles to bring the price down as both the PS3 and 360 had multi-core CPUs, something PC users didn't have access to, at least not at a reasonable price.

As Sony dropped the ball at the start of the gen, Microsoft decided to 'hold my beer', with a flurry of needless, pointless consoles and a 3 year late rush to try and capture the motion-control casual market which had been saturated by the Wii. The push for Kinect was the death knell for Microsoft, something they were warned about and told about time and time again. They get not sympathy for fucking everything up from there. Coincidently, Phil Spencer having any say in the Xbox department killed the xbox, little else.

Respect for Sony for trying to do BC by putting a console inside another one. It was certainly a solution to the BC problem. Let's not forget their messaging of "get a second job".

When the dust settled, the PS360 gen was my favourite for the business side of things. There were two threads running concurrently that consisted of; complete fuck ups and genius-level moves, with Sony and MS doing a baton race mid gen to swap over. Sony start by fucking up and MS ended by fucking up.

One could make a very strong argument that the Xbox division went to complete shit because of Spencer and his removal could take them back to when they were actually competent in the market.
The Cell sucked and was pretty much what fucked the PS3. Had Sony just gone with some basic design like the 360 the PS3 would've sold about as much as the PS4. Sony was never able to match prices with the 360, a few years into the gen and you had a $199 360 and even by the end of the gen the PS3 never reached those prices.

It was the perfect storm for MS and all they managed was to end up in last place and completely nuke their internal studios out of existence. Absolutely no vision.

The Kinect ended up fucking MS later on but during the 360 gen it actually considerably boosted their sales.

Miss me with the arrogant Sony talk, MS has been arrogant for decades and hasn't done shit. Sony fucked up with the PS3 hardware and that's about it, they turned things around within 3 years and set up what would become more than a decade of complete dominance. It's not like Sony planed for the PS3 to not justify it's price, the expectation was to release a premium console that would perform that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Even if Redfall was good they'd still be banking the whole year on Starfield. Thats what most companies do, smaller games in the middle and a big one at the end of the year.

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
They're burning so many bridges, the very best thing they could do imo is scrap gamepass' day 1 model, become a 3rd party publisher, build competent studio management as a publisher, and then down the line maybe consider re-launching themselves as a platform once they've got successful (and by successful i mean actually returning a profit/ selling) games - and limit Microsofts corporate interference as much as possible. No contract abuse. None of the ridiculous turnover of staff. Seek retention, profits and quality.

The chances of this happening is pretty much zero. No western corporation - especially MS - would humble themselves to that level. They'll likely just run it into complete irrelevancy/ inactivity. Damn shame. Smfh 😮‍💨😮‍💨😮‍💨

WoolleyGamer

WoolleyGamer
Content Creator
27 Jun 2022
youtube.com
I just don't know how anyone could currently buy into the Xbox ecosystem.... how can you trust there will be good games or if Xbox will even be open in a years time?

It's non-stop bad news and even as a hardcore Sony fan, I find it hard to watch anymore. It's gotten to uncomfortable levels.
Yep. Just feel sad at this point

• they're_right_you_know

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I just don't know how anyone could currently buy into the Xbox ecosystem.... how can you trust there will be good games or if Xbox will even be open in a years time?

It's non-stop bad news and even as a hardcore Sony fan, I find it hard to watch anymore. It's gotten to uncomfortable levels.
But but playstation is leaking...

• haha

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes they should pull the plug but keep in mind this is what they wanted! Microsoft WANTED to kill the Xbox console business (and Sony in the process). That was the whole point of Game Pass and streaming future.

Phil sold that future to Nutella and their fans believed every word of it. All subscriptions, all digital, no more game purchases. Pay monthly. Even the console you can buy monthly with All Access.

They attacked Sony everyday about it. Called them Blockbuster. It's backfiring but that was the plan all along. Complete dominance in gaming and no one else can compete.

Microsoft needs to leave gaming ASAP. Good riddance!

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Pretty obvious this was gonna happen.

Microsoft destroyed Rare, a Single developer.

Yet people thought buying another 20 studios and maintaining them would be a cakewalk.

This is not including ABK either.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Something to think about while we've been witnessing this xbox implosion the past few weeks/months is that sony has been radio silent. ALL of this bad news surrounding Microsoft is self inflicted. Sony has quietly been updating people on games on their blog and releasing them, but outside of doing, you know, what a games console manufacturer is supposed to do, havent said a peep really.