Japan is done with Xbox once and for all

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

With the closure of Tango Gameworks, Xbox sends an accidental message: it is not a platform for fans of Japanese games​

Japan has always been a sticking point for Xbox. I’ve heard some people at games publishers describe the brand’s fortunes in the country as ‘cursed’. That seems a bit dramatic, but let’s roll with it. Some argue that it all started with the name.

The DirectX box - the Xbox - was always a sort of unfortunate name in the territory. An X is a ‘batsu’ - a cross used to indicate you’ve gotten an answer wrong in a test or somesuch. You’ll often see Japanese cross their forearms in an X shape at oblivious tourists doing something they shouldn’t - a non-verbal way of saying ‘don’t do that’. This is why on earlier PlayStation consoles, X and O were reversed in Japan - O for ‘OK’, and X for ‘Cancel’, the opposite of the West. In the West, X marks the spot. At the electoral ballot box, you place an X next to the person you want to represent you. In Japan, a lot of the time, X means ‘no’. The No-Box.

No matter what Xbox leadership says in its livestreams or in statements, one thing remains true: it's relationship with Japan never came first.

Source

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
In the latest Metaphor promo video with a dev interview, there was only the Xbox version. Physical Xbox version with Xbox logo and xbox button prompts during gameplay. It's like the PS version doesn't exist. This is on their own channel.

View attachment 4927

Most of the Atlus current titles on their channel only show the Xbox versions so its best to ignore their channel the launch videos normally show up on the other channels. Xbox more then likely forced a deal with them. I can't see any other reason why they would be marketing a new I.P with a dying low number platform over their biggest money helper otherwise.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Xbox for, no reason to come up with dumb ones like the name. Because having the X in it hurt MSX so much...

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
In the latest Metaphor promo video with a dev interview, there was only the Xbox version. Physical Xbox version with Xbox logo and xbox button prompts during gameplay. It's like the PS version doesn't exist. This is on their own channel.

View attachment 4927

good, let them have it. when it bomb, they will learn their lesson.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Kind of Microsoft to want to put Sonic and Sonic fans out of their misery.
Oh no I’ve actually seen Sega fans cheer on a possible acquisition as if MS acquires them all games on gamepass & they won’t be exclusive. MS would destroy Sega, Sega themselves are on a new high but they be doing some questionable things

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Shame metaphor is locked to a contract signed before the gen started. SEGA fell for MSs BS and now have to advertise a new IP from their most acclaimed developer on a flop ass console. MS thought this would be their Persona. I'd bet the deal ends with Metaphor and Sega markets with Nintendo or Sony for Persona 6.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Oh no I’ve actually seen Sega fans cheer on a possible acquisition as if MS acquires them all games on gamepass & they won’t be exclusive. MS would destroy Sega, Sega themselves are on a new high but they be doing some questionable things
Those are not Sega fans, just xbox who dont want to buy games. Games they will play very little of if you look at achievement data, like 30% even get the first story achievement