Jason Blundell back at SIE/Playstation? |UP| New studio under Sony?

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
So he left Deviation but ended up on PlayStation anyway? Interesting finding, it suggest there is some other shooter being worked on at PlayStation.
Other PlayStation studios working on shooters are firewalk/Firesprite. He could be at either one of those or this is a new team being built internally. If it’s not a new ip gimme a bloody killzone reboot.

Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Maybe sony didn’t like the direction tehy were going in or how they were being managed and decided to break off from them with others from deviation that wasn’t satisfied with how it was being run.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Other PlayStation studios working on shooters are firewalk/Firesprite. He could be at either one of those or this is a new team being built internally. If it’s not a new ip gimme a bloody killzone reboot.

I’m not sure, Firewalk is in Washington and Firesprite is in Liverpool

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I’m not sure, Firewalk is in Washington and Firesprite is in Liverpool
And he (at least the former Deviation CM, who is working for him) is working presentially in LA.

In L.A. Sony has ND and SSM. But the former CM doesn't mention ND or SSM, mentions SIE. So it can be a new, unannounced studio maybe built with former Deviation staff.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
And he (at least the former Deviation CM, who is working for him) is working presentially in LA.

In L.A. Sony has ND and SSM. But the former CM doesn't mention ND or SSM, mentions SIE. So it can be a new, unannounced studio maybe built with former Deviation staff.

Building a studio in LA sounds like such a bad idea

Reactions: Bryank75

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think it possible Sony still wanted to work with the team at Deviation but for whatever reason didnt want to buy them and/or was no longer interested in what they were making. Maybe the Deviation game was a little more cartoony or whimsical and the ABK deal changed what Sony wanted/needed from them and rather than continue wasting time letting them finish whatever they were working on and they cut funding from the project and brought them in house to work on a COD clone?

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Honestly I want them to make a CoD knockoff. These guys are the only people in the industry that can do it

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Would be great if this was a new studio and PS was able to salvage good ppl from the Deviation team.

Reactions: Hezekiah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They need a military sim shooter..

Something better than cod. As you see with cod, the minute it goes futuristic or space focused it loses players.

People want to believe they are out doing the real thing with none of the risks. Apart from shit talking.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Sony Jackson MS
Only problem is areas that that have trouble recruiting. One of the issues xenimax had with redfall was the higher if pool was pretty thin and they had trouble recruiting locally or getting ppl to move to Austin because of the political situation in Texas. Most of the U.S is pretty much a no go zone for the games industry which leans pretty liberal. U aren’t going to convince top talent from California or Washington state to move a very conservative state was small population centers with no local night life and is cultural homogeneous asf. Things have improved with now so many studios offering remote work but still the industry clusters around certain metropolitan areas and I think publishers prefer it because it a lots for better support amongst its teams and the possibility of being able to cross pollinate talent and tech more easily.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Sony Jackson MS
Only problem is areas that that have trouble recruiting. One of the issues xenimax had with redfall was the higher if pool was pretty thin and they had trouble recruiting locally or getting ppl to move to Austin because of the political situation in Texas. Most of the U.S is pretty much a no go zone for the games industry which leans pretty liberal. U aren’t going to convince top talent from California or Washington state to move a very conservative state was small population centers with no local night life and is cultural homogeneous asf. Things have improved with now so many studios offering remote work but still the industry clusters around certain metropolitan areas and I think publishers prefer it because it a lots for better support amongst its teams and the possibility of being able to cross pollinate talent and tech more easily.

Reactions: CloudStrife

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yup, sounds likely.

At least for my country this map is very outdated and incomplete. Here there are 400-500 studios and the map only has like 50 of them tracked.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns