Jason Blundell back at SIE/Playstation? |UP| New studio under Sony?

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
To me Treyarch has been the best COD devs out of Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer. Potential with this.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Yeah, they said that. But then Retro, id, Bluepoint, Aspyr, Gearbox and Bioware Austin (among many, many others) are located in Texas with most being in the Austin area. Its one of those places like Montreal or Leamington that gives them generous subsidies. Seems to me more like a source with an agenda was axe grinding and the reporter was all too happy to go along with it. A boohoohoo, Austin is too rightwing for me.
Austin is left wing. Lol

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Former Deviation Games Technical Director Michael Anthony:

"Hey, I hear that a lot of previous Deviation Games employees have setup their own studio at Sony working on an undisclosed new IP."

"All the people I see working there that have signed up are top class developers and hope that you can create a top class new IP with your studio that hopefully gives you all the time you need to create a quality product and not have to deal with red tape from previous projects."

Source

Reactions: Puff

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I have questions.
1. Who is left behind?
2. If no one major then why did they leave a studio for another new studio that will house the exact same staff
3. If someone was left behind, I love to know the drama for it

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I have questions.
1. Who is left behind?
2. If no one major then why did they leave a studio for another new studio that will house the exact same staff

Majority were left behind including Dave Anthony.

Looks like Sony probably wanted to acquire Deviation Games.

Instead they poached the talent and created their own studio.

Saved a lot of money and without the baggage that Deviation came with.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I have questions.
1. Who is left behind?
We know that a while before Deviation shutted down, the studio boss left. Some time later, we knew the studio boss and some ex-Deviation staff created a new SIE studio.

That means 3 things:
  • The studio boss didn't leave for having an issue with Sony, left because having an issue with other top persons from the studio
  • If Deviation did shut down was because Sony cancelled the game or moved it to other studio, not being happy with the studio or project management
  • If SIE created a new studio with ex-Deviation employees including the studio head who left early, pretty likely means that Sony believed in the project and the team, but in that conflict was in the side of the people who left (who may even be working on that ex-Deviation game)
Now we see more ex-Deviation staff joined that new SIE studio, but not this technical director. Maybe because he was left behind because of being in the other part of that Deviation internal civil war or maybe because after leaving Deviation was hired somewhere else and is happy there.

I assume this new SIE studio is rebooting the Deviation game following the initial idea of the project that the original studio head had, now without the other studio leads who wanted to do something else that didn't work.

Do you believe it will be rival franchise to COD with military as core topic?
We saw that all the other Sony shooters (Destiny, Helldivers, Marathon, Concord, Fairgame$) have a certain futuristic / sci-fi / space fantasy theme & setting.

Looking at the pedigree of the Deviation staff I think it's fair to assume this one would be a more "realistic" boots in the ground military FPS to compete more directly against CoD, Battlefield, Rainbow Six Siege or Tarkov regarding theme & setting, and also to further differentiate itself from the other Sony shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dick Jones

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Former technical director Deviation Games shared by @Cyberia

AbaD7Wd.jpeg

He talked before of what happened with Deviation

HhYbZDi.jpeg

Source

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is a thread with this topic already existing.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Seems like it could be a good long term investment for PS6. With that said I think Sony response to the abk acquisition has been pretty good. I’d throw in arrowhead and hopefully an investment in Square enix and i feel like they’d be “Nintendo proof.”

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Imagine the end product totally eclipses the 70 billion COD acquisition when released!

That would be a slap in the face for Microsoft

• fire
Reactions: anonpuffs