Jason Schreier: heads rolling at Sony for the cancellation of The Last of Us Online after 4 years in development

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Some of these reports feel like last year’s stories with the details just coming out now. Sony has already restructured a great deal as a result

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
why Cuckman isn't fired then? or head rolled just some unimportant personel?
4 years is wild. just spend 1 more and finish the game. it can't be worse than cancelation.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sounds a bit far fetched.

ND chose to close down it

ND didn't have hundreds working on it for years. It was a small team working on the MP game, then it grew.

If he’s a “journalist” maybe he should get some more info, like how long was the game being developed for and how big was the team from start to finish.

He just prefers to shitstir and have these kind of discussions instead of actual video gaming journalism

Reactions: Gamerguy84

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
4 years is wild. just spend 1 more and finish the game. it can't be worse than cancelation.

Because its only been 4 years since they released there GOTY winning game. After there last game of the year winner Uncharted 4. Which was followed on from TLOU, which was also a GOTY.
Sony would be retarded to fire someone who develops such highly rated games lol.

Bend and Santa Monica took longer making there New games GOW 2018 and Days Gone.

And Im sure Sony knows how far there other games are in development. Neil wasnt working on Factions 2. It was separated while he was working on TLOU2.
They fucked up but I blame Sony for not giving them enough to be able to do both multiple SP games and a MP game.

Games get cancelled all the time, doesnt mean there gonna fire one of there best developers

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
As I said many times, Naughty Dog was built to deliver narrative, linear games.

Like an athlete built for a sprint.

If you put a sprinter into a marathon or a hurdles event, they are not in their element.

I know they hired some GAAS people but it was still a machine built for single player games.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

If you put a sprinter into a marathon or a hurdles event, they are not in their element.

I know they hired some GAAS people but it was still a machine built for single player games.

But ND made great MP modes. They have a great talent for it. And the online game was meant to have narrative story driven gameplay, it was basically there gameplay into an online world. Where you could also PVP with people or PVE/Coop.

As a TLOU fan, being able to play in that world, have different stories and if I want, deal with some human factions. That would be cool

Rockstar and Epic also werent made for online gaming but they done it well. Well Epic not so much but they didnt exactly create plan Fortnite for how it is, they adapted and it grew

They just needed 2 studios working on SP games like usual, and expanded to have a MP game. Factions was amazing, Id rather they make MP games based on great IPs they own

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Danja

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Remember when I said 4 years and 200m down the toilet and some people here said I was exaggerating? 😂 and that it was a small team, wasn’t in development that long, and didn’t cost nearly as much? 😂🤡🤡🤡

I like Neil as a writer but he needs to step down as President immediately. Being a good creative doesn’t make you a good leader. ND is a complete disaster under his leadership, he needs to step down NOW!!!!

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

So you guys never played Uncharted 2 and the phenomenal and well supported Uncharted 3 Multiplayer that got over 2+ years of support and was technically one the first major GaaS Multiplayer games from Sony... So much so that Sony spun off the Multiplayer into its own thing that could be download without the main game in the PS3 store.

Factions is great and Uncharted 4 multiplayer is still being played 8 years later and I still play it often.

What happened was simply! Naughty should have never started from their own Multiplayer formula. Whomever had them ditch the original Factions 2 Multiplayer that was already up and running in 2020 was at fault.

Reactions: voke

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
But ND made great MP modes. They have a great talent for it. And the online game was meant to have narrative story driven gameplay, it was basically there gameplay into an online world. Where you could also PVP with people or PVE/Coop.

As a TLOU fan, being able to play in that world, have different stories and if I want, deal with some human factions. That would be cool

Rockstar and Epic also werent made for online gaming but they done it well. Well Epic not so much but they didnt exactly create plan Fortnite for how it is, they adapted and it grew

They just needed 2 studios working on SP games like usual, and expanded to have a MP game. Factions was amazing, Id rather they make MP games based on great IPs they own
They a lost of Multiplayer talent during 2014 when Amy and Justin Richmond left and quite a few key staff eventually left after.... By Uncharted 4 they barely had enough for that department but they still made that Multiplayer, tho obviously scaled back and by the time TLOU 2 came around they had lost even more multiplayer talent.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Why would Druckmann be fired? It wasn't his game as a designer or directory and he was made CEO well into its development

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Remember when I said 4 years and 200m down the toilet and some people here said I was exaggerating? 😂 and that it was a small team, wasn’t in development that long, and didn’t cost nearly as much? 😂🤡🤡🤡

I like Neil as a writer but he needs to step down as President immediately. Being a good creative doesn’t make you a good leader. ND is a complete disaster under his leadership, he needs to step down NOW!!!!

He wasn't on the project at all, had nothing to do with it apparently.

So you guys never played Uncharted 2 and the phenomenal and well supported Uncharted 3 Multiplayer that got over 2+ years of support and was technically one the first major GaaS Multiplayer games from Sony... So much so that Sony spun off the Multiplayer into its own thing that could be download without the main game in the PS3 store.

Factions is great and Uncharted 4 multiplayer is still being played 8 years later and I still play it often.

What happened was simply! Naughty should have never started from their own Multiplayer formula. Whomever had them ditch the original Factions 2 Multiplayer that was already up and running in 2020 was at fault.

I see people talking about what kind of blame and who was responsible, let's look at the facts.

The new pitch and direction for the Factions team was announced on September 26th 2019.

Screenshot_2019-09-26-Naughty-Dog-on-Twitter-An-update-regarding-multiplayer-https-t-co-CUd98LgJGC-Twitter-720x1044.png

It will be difficult to know when this new pitch for Factions was accepted, but that at the very least a month before.

Looking at this, who was the Studio Lead at the time this decision was made?

Evan Wells was the sole President at the this decision was made(Naughty Dog previously was run by Co-presidents, but Christophe Balestra retired in April 2017.
Neil Druckman was promoted to Vice President(not Co-president) in 2018.
Neil Druckmann was promoted to Co-president in December 2020, more than a year before the decision for the Factions standalone project.

One could say he was partially responsible, because he could've curtailed his multiplayer's lead effort because he was the Creative Director of TLoU Part II and forced them to ship the original vision, but perhaps it wouldn't of been ready anyway.

Evan Wells retired in at the end of 2023 after the longest stint as Naughty Dog Co-President(started in 2004).
He was the highest decision maker for all things Naughty Dog when it comes to the PS5 generation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Now hurry up and finish the last of us 3 before you move to your next project