Jez Corden: Microsoft and Activision have formed a new team within Blizzard to work on smaller 'AA' games based on existing IP

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
AYU4q594LJ0-HD.jpg

From Windows Central: Microsoft and Activision have formed a new team within Blizzard to work on smaller 'AA' games based on existing IP | Windows Central

Our sources indicate that Microsoft and Activision have approved the creation of a new team within its Blizzard subsidiary, comprised mostly with employees from King. Blizzard is known for beloved franchises like Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch, and Microsoft is keen to curate and serve these franchises more prolifically than Activision itself did previously. Military sci-fi strategy series StarCraft for example has essentially been on mothballs since StarCraft Remastered in 2017, and Xbox CEO Phil Spencer himself has name checked StarCraft during interviews about the acquisition in recent years. Still, you need teams to work on these classic franchises, and that's exactly what Microsoft is gearing up to do.

To that end, we're told Microsoft and Activision's new team within Blizzard is tasked to work on "AA" smaller games based on existing franchises within the Blizzard universes. Given King's mobile expertise, it's possible that these will be mobile games aimed to support Xbox's planned mobile gaming store for iOS and Android — although we're not entirely sure that they'll be restricted specifically to mobile. Given Microsoft's platform agnostic strategy across mobile, PC, and console, it's entirely possible that any fresh projects could run across platforms. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella recently described how it wants Xbox to focus on a three-pronged gaming approach across those endpoints, with Xbox console at its core.

• haha
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I have several former coworkers who were at King and in recent days/weeks they changed their LinkedIn description mentioning that they moved to Blizzard.

I don't have any insider info, but all these former coworkers are all experienced on mobile F2P only.

So if I had to guess, I'd bet they'll make mobile focused F2P games using Blizzard IPs, more than the usual console/PC focused titles.

Last edited:

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
Ah but of course.

I fully expect Ryan Mcaffery to tell us the reason he doesn't mind independent publisher Blizzard shutting down another studio is that Xbox has too many games to play already. On behalf of IGN, of course.
also dont forget this is the SAME DUDE WHO SAID HE COULD NOT FIND HIS NEW PS5 GAME IN THE TOP SELLING PAGES AT ALL.. Well no shit bro its not top selling so why would it be hahahah

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Was about to post this ... Why the fuck would you get rid of toys for bob if you're going to have a studio to make smaller games absolute morons over there
Toys for Bob left, as they wanted to be independent. What is odd though is they left, but then negotiated a game deal with Xbox Game Studios. I will never understand this business.

Regarding AA, I have been playing and enjoying more AA games lately than AAA games. Helldivers 2, Banishers: Ghost of Eden are the two most recent ones that I have enjoyed.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Toys for Bob left, as they wanted to be independent. What is odd though is they left, but then negotiated a game deal with Xbox Game Studios. I will never understand this business.

Regarding AA, I have been playing and enjoying more AA games lately than AAA games. Helldivers 2, Banishers: Ghost of Eden are the two most recent ones that I have enjoyed.
Toys for bob went independent because Microsoft laid off half their employees & was about to shut them down so it was either go independent or get shut down , they made a deal with Microsoft for their next game because Microsoft owns all the IPs they have worked on (crash / spyro / Skylanders / Tony hawk)