Jonathan Blow: Braid Anniversary Edition sold like dog shit

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
It's 20 euros, no cross-buy. For a 16 years old game.

You don't get to cry about it, Blow.

Edit: and I bought it. So I'm among those who actually helped.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I didn't like the original one, so never had the intention to get this edition. Way overhyped by the Xbros back then when it was exclusive.

Reactions: voke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Expected.

Very old game that most played and doesn’t hold more in today standards… at $20? It is crazy to expect it sell good.

Plus the creator fucked the marketing with dumb claims.

BTW wasting 4 years in a unneeded remaster instead to work in a new game is crazy imo… even more when you think he just wanted money with that release and nothing more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I played the original but I wouldn't have bought the anniversary edition under any circumstances. I also bought The Witness at launch.

I like this man's games but he needs to make new ones. No business sense.

Reactions: ethomaz

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
It's 20 euros, no cross-buy. For a 16 years old game.

You don't get to cry about it, Blow.

Edit: and I bought it. So I'm among those who actually helped.
I don't think he is blaming you for it. He is blaming me and the rest that didn't even heard it came out.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don't think he is blaming you for it. He is blaming me and the rest that didn't even heard it came out.
He should blame himself to waste 4 years in more of the same instead a new game that could give him money.

Just do understand... he is asking $20 for the exactly same game with a new documentary added.
People should not be that greed.

Reactions: Cool hand luke

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
That's too bad...
Braid was hype AF back in the day; I don't know if today's audience would really be into it. I bought it, but have not played it yet.

I know Jonathan Blow gets bad rap (and sometimes, very warranted), but his videos on game development are pretty chill & enlightening.
He does have a YT channel btw.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Not sure what his expectations were..

It's a 2D indie game launched 16 years ago that got a remaster to look like.. another 2D indie game that looks like it could have released 16 years ago.

Also, it took them 8 years between releasing The Witness and a Braid remaster..?
It doesn't exactly look like an entire new game either.

I could see them feeling frustrated had this been a massive revamp, but all they did was compile the game for new platforms and redraw the textures (most of which could probably be done very quickly through stable diffusion). It honestly looks like something that would take a 1 year work out of a single person team, not 8 years of a 5 people team.

Unless I'm missing something, the whole situation seems weird.

Reactions: Entropi

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

It's a 2D indie game launched 16 years ago that got a remaster to look like.. another 2D indie game that looks like it could have released 16 years ago.

Also, it took them 8 years between releasing The Witness and a Braid remaster..?

I could see them feeling frustrated had this been a massive revamp, but all they did was compile the game for new platforms and redraw the textures (most of which could probably be done very quickly through stable diffusion). It honestly looks like something that would take a 1 year work out of a single person team, not 8 years of a 5 people team.

looks like the game just sharper with few extra details.

Reactions: Entropi

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I think wanted easy money and so the ideia of that remaster happened.
Now he is mad about it not selling well.

I mean Braid was one of the few good indies in a age that indies were still a baby business.
Today things changed... and in Indie market there are so many developers, so many platforms better and cheaper than Braid that it is hard to sell a 16 years old game at $20.

Plus the 4 years he took to make this remaster (at least that is what he tell) shows you how he is not focused in develop games anymore... he really want money at low effort.