Joseph Staten Joins Netflix Games As Creative Director on New Multiplatform AAA IP

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Oh boy… Netflix.

This is getting wild.

D

Deleted member 417

AAA multiplatform? Name the platforms Staten.

24 Jun 2022
You know things were bad at 343/Microsoft when joining Netflix Games is considered an upgrade.

Anyway, best of luck to the guy; hope he gets the freedom to create at the new spot that he clearly lacked at his previous location (only being called in to fix messes when it was too late to meaningfully fix them, i.e Crackdown 3, Halo Infinite).

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I wouldn't mind Netflix as the third 'platform', replacing Microsoft once Xbox is shut down. The only caveat is they have to build their own experiences, not remove games from other platforms. They're much better suited to a subscription service and it truly sets them apart from Nintendo and their handheld and Sony in the console space.

Reactions: Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I wouldn't mind Netflix as the third 'platform', replacing Microsoft once Xbox is shut down. The only caveat is they have to build their own experiences, not remove games from other platforms. They're much better suited to a subscription service and it truly sets them apart from Nintendo and their handheld and Sony in the console space.
Netflix refuses to allow physical releases in North America for most of the content that is exclusive to their service, so they’re almost as bad as MS.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
MS will buy MF next😂.
They dont compete with NG so no regulators will be able to stop them.
Right guys?

All kiddin aside, good luck to him.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Odds of Netflix still being in games five years from now? See: My username.

edit: Also, multiplatform? Isn't Netflix aiming to be a first party of streaming? Do they mean PC and mobile as the platforms, or are they including Deck-types as seperate from PC or, intriguingly, playing to console over Netflix apps? That last one actually has my interest piqued, surely Sony and MS would say no though?

D

Deleted member 223

giphy.gif

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Lol, we've got conspiracy theorists on N4G suggesting that MS is about to buy Netflix.
There were some reports last year that MS wants to buy Netflix and Brad Smith is on the board too.

They did the same thing with Blizzard. The CEO was at MS before the acquisition.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
There were some reports last year that MS wants to buy Netflix and Brad Smith is on the board too.

They did the same thing with Blizzard. The CEO was at MS before the acquisition.
What would they even want them for? Trying to take over movie and TV streaming? I mean, I guess. They have no real experience with movies and TV, lol.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What would they even want them for? Trying to take over movie and TV streaming? I mean, I guess. They have no real experience with movies and TV, lol.
They want to dominate everything even if it doesn't make any sense for them. They'll find an angle like they did with King.

"We don't have movie studios but Sony, a japanese company, does. Let us compete"

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They want to dominate everything even if it doesn't make any sense for them. They'll find an angle like they did with King.

"We don't have movie studios but Sony, a japanese company, does. Let us compete"
It actually makes a lot of sense. They have tons of servers, making it easier/cheaper for them to run a streaming service. That said, there's a lot of problems, too. Here's my list, ordered roughly by how important I think they are.

1) Specific on-coming economic downturns in the computing market have made Microsoft temporarily cautious on expenditures, of which Netflix would be a massive one. At 146 billion dollars in market cap, Netflix is currently valued nearly at the same level as Sony and Nintendo combined.
2) A current, post-pandemic downturn in streaming of all kinds combined with long-term questions about how/if Netflix can maintain profitability in a competitive world.
3) Regulatory push-back on the heals of Disney/Fox, MS/Activision and Discovery/Warner. As a media company and a streaming company, there's real desire to reign in consolidation in that space. The only way it could get worse would be for them to both own hospital systems too...
4) Internal forces within MS that are sick of plowing money into media services and want the company to focus on its One Big Thing(tm) which is Windows+Office.
5) Inability to agree on a price with Netflix management who, likely, want a bump in current market price while MS investors probably don't want to over-pay on last decade's big, hyped stock.
6) They could buy Paramount (Viacom, CBS, Paramount Pictures, etc) for 14.5 billion, Warner/Discovery (HBO Max) for 33.5 billion, one fourth the cost, and have similar market access or, for only 40 billion more, have Disney at 183 billion dollars and gain a huge trove of IP, the profit center cruise and parks divisions and the tv service, including ESPN. Comcast (Universal pictures, plus a huge ISP business in the US) is probably off the table due to regulatory concerns.

Long story short, Netflix is insanely over-valued right now, MS is in a cost saving mood and governments around the world would give a real stink-eye to any cloud consolidation at this point in time.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters