Why Is Square Taking so Long with Kingdom Hearts IV? |UP| Kingdom Hearts 4 Reportedly Launching In 2025.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It won't launch next year.

As of late 2020 they still weren't working on this game, and early 2022 they announced that it was under development. Meaning, its development very likely started in 2021.

Nowadays AAA games take around 5-9 years of development. Meaning, in the most optimistic case of SE being super efficient and developing it in the quickest range of recent big AAAs, they'd release it in 2026.

But knowing SE, it won't be the case because they aren't the faster AAA developers. I think it would be more realistic to expect instead a 2027-2030 release.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
It won't launch next year.

As of late 2020 they still weren't working on this game, and early 2022 they announced that it was under development. Meaning, its development very likely started in 2021.

Nowadays AAA games take around 5-9 years of development. Meaning, in the most optimistic case of SE being super efficient and developing it in the quickest range of recent big AAAs, they'd release it in 2026.

But knowing SE, it won't be the case because they aren't the faster AAA developers. I think it would be more realistic to expect instead a 2027-2030 release.
DQ 12 was having dev troubles ircc, maybe we really will get KH4 next year otherwise square wont have a big game next year

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
DQ 12 was having dev troubles ircc, maybe we really will get KH4 next year otherwise square wont have a big game next year
KH4 won't release next year, read what I posted above: big AAA games being released now took 5-9 years to be developed, and Square Enix aren't in the fastest devs range. Releasing it next year would mean 4 years of development, which doesn't sound realistic at all.

Regarding DQ12, I don't remember Square Enix mentioning that it has dev issues. Most likely what you say it's just a fanfic story.

In any case, KH4 is being developed at Square Enix's Creative Business Unit I, which is a totally separated team from where DQ12 is being developed, Square Enix's Creative Business Unit II. So if these pretty likely fictional DQ12 issues you mentioned would be real, they wouldn't affect the development of KH4.

Dragon Quest XII must have been under development since maybe 2017-2018, when DQ11 was released. So I think it could be released next year, just like a Nier Automata sequel, because it was released 7 years ago. These two could be their main games for next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

2025 is the new Rumour, though we have seen nothing from Square and Nomura is notorious for taking way too long