Kojima reveals that Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was supposed to be MGS5 at first

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

On the 14th anniversary of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker’s release, Hideo Kojima took to X to provide some juicy background tidbits on the 2010 PSP title.

Although Peace Walker was the fourth Metal Gear game to be made for Sony’s PlayStation Portable (PSP), it was the first game for the handheld to be directed, designed and written by series creator Hideo Kojima. This gave it the genetics of a mainline MGS title, however, right off the bat, Kojima reveals that the international marketing department were not keen on a portable title being a numbered entry.

Post translation: It’s 14 years since PW went on sale. I was still in my mid 40s. At the time, many game companies were shifting towards developing apps for flip phones. After making MGS4, I realized that it is vital to have a proprietary engine. Games would only make a vertical leap once such an engine was completed. In the meantime, I proposed making Peace Walker in order to evolve MGS horizontally (i.e. across platforms). At first, it was called MGS5PW, but this received strong opposition from overseas marketers, so I abandoned the consecutive numbering. As it was on PSP, the target demographic was lowered to elementary, middle and high school students. I aimed for this young generation so that the MGS series could gain fans from two generations- parents and their children.

Post translation: But because it was on PSP, we couldn’t hope for it to be a worldwide hit like before (i.e. the series’ mainline console entries). Therefore, we had to keep production costs to a minimum. We couldn’t use motion capture or Hollywood composers. Consequently, we utilized the digital animation techniques from “Bande Dessinée.” The music was done by an in-house composer. “Calling to The Night” (the theme song for MGS Portable Ops) was good, so I asked Honda to do the main theme for PW too. He created a number of melodies and parts for the song, and these were combined, with the song being gradually created over time. From the start, Love’s Deterrent was the only title I had in mind. I wanted Calling to The Night’s vocalist Natasha Farrow to do the vocals, but she wasn’t in Japan. Instead, we decided upon Donna (Burke), who was the president of the (talent) office.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He said the same before launch Peace Walker that it was MGS5 except for the name.
It was posted in 2010.

And the official Kojima Productions blog teasing the game (yes it was announced with that logo).

o0800045010426547728.jpg

o0800045010426547741.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zzero

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yup. Said that at launch. In his mind, PW IS MGSV but Konami wanted the MGS5 branding for a home console title, not a handheld. Excellent little game packed with content. One of the best PSP titles.

Reactions: Box and ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yup. Said that at launch. In his mind, PW IS MGSV but Konami wanted the MGS5 branding for a home console title, not a handheld. Excellent little game packed with content. One of the best PSP titles.
It was teased it first as MGS5 in Japan and after it changed.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It was announced first as MGS5 in Japan and after it changed.
Yeah, the screenshots above just loaded in for me. It kind of makes sense not to give it a number, since it was on a smaller platform. But I remember when the marketing reveal happened. They had this countdown where after it ends you get a letter and then at the end of it all, it spelled the name of the game.

They revealed PW AND Rising at around the same time and I remember being PISSED that PW was a PSP title and Rising a console one. But then we got MGSV and some of that PW spirit lives on there, so all good. (Gameplay wise)

Reactions: ethomaz

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I would absolutely play an upgraded Peace Walker on the Fox engine or whatever it’s called. V stunk but was solid from a mechanic and physical standpoint. It actually makes V feel like a more realized PW.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I would absolutely play an upgraded Peace Walker on the Fox engine or whatever it’s called. V stunk but was solid from a mechanic and physical standpoint. It actually makes V feel like a more realized PW.
I really didn't get into a MG after 4.

• Shake
Reactions: BroodCorp
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sorry but we can't be buddies any more. If I had you on my friends list I'd delete and block you right away.

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless
LOL not my fault. Idk why I didn't keep playing them as I loved 4. I just have to go back to them. Not saying I disliked the rest I just really didn't sit down to play them.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Loved Peace Walkerz especially the Monster Hunter minigame in it with Rathalos

Reactions: ethomaz