Larian claims it would have been 'more advantageous' to release Baldur's Gate III simultaneously on Xbox

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Michael Douse, the director of publishing at Larian Studios, responded to exclusivity comments by saying that the studio would have been better off being able to release on all platforms, but that was not possible. Additionally, he hopes "Xbox gamers will reconsider the boycott once the game hits consoles."

User: When it is released on Xbox, it will sell much less than it should, I saw in some places that this game will be boycotted because you are on the Playstation side in the console war.

Michael Douse: I respect your passion, but I'd like you to understand that the most win-win situation for us would be to launch on all platforms at the same time. There is no incentive for us to have done otherwise. Unfortunately, it wasn't possible this time. Hope they reconsider when it comes out.

Baldur's Gate III is available now on PC and arrives on PlayStation 5 on September 6th. The Xbox Series S|X version does not yet have a release date.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This would require a bit of intelligence of the people complaining. These are the same people believing whatever Philocchio says.

This would require to have more real fans and not mostly shills and employees that follow Discord instructions

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Fanboys are stupid.
Larian haven't chose any sides, they just couldn't release on xbox because of series s.
MS shouldn't have released the series s in the first place.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Having finished BG3 just a few days ago, and thinking about this, I don't think there is any way they can get it to reach parity. The only way this would be possible would be to severely downgrade the series X version. Even then, it doesn't help much because it's primarily a CPU limitation issue (see: Act 3) and the Series S has a worse CPU than the One X - they would have a better time trying to get parity with the One X. Genuinely don't know how they are going to be able to do it in an acceptable manner. What's worse is Larian will likely be attacked if the game runs poorly or looks worse than the PS5 version even though the factors for that difference are wholly outside of their control.

If you are a series X owner you really need to abandon ship because Microsoft's legacy this generation is going to be pandering to the cheap Series S fans because they outnumber you by, what is it? 3:1? 4:1?, and your console games will take a hit to enable them. Couldn't imagine being a Series X owner and having a game I want delayed due to Gamepass beggers who couldn't fork out an extra $100.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The only way this would be possible would be to severely downgrade the series X version. Even then, it doesn't help much because it's primarily a CPU limitation issue (see: Act 3) and the Series S has a worse CPU than the One X

Wrong. The Series S has a much better CPU than the One X. Its not even in the same league.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Wrong. The Series S has a much better CPU than the One X. Its not even in the same league.
My mistake then. I may have googled the wrong thing when looking it up before. So the point about One X is incorrect, but the rest of the point stands that Series X owners are going to get an inferior product in the end.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly