Larian Studios uses its stage time at the DICE Awards to speak out against a brutal industry & layoffs. |UP| Speak about industry greed at GDC.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1708094012257.png

Its developers, however, devoted much of their speech time to the state of the games industry—which, if you've been paying any sort of attention, has been dire for devs. 2023 was a horrible year for games industry layoffs—and if patterns continue, 2024 could be even worse, with over 16,000 developers losing their jobs since January of last year.

"We're very lucky," says Michael Douse, the director of publishing for the studio. "We've had a lot of stage time—others are not so lucky. This is a really human industry, and we're really bad sometimes at showing developers what they're worth … it's kinda the elephant in the room, especially surrounded by all this opulence

"Many, many people were let go at the start of this year. I want you to know that you are all talented, and that you matter, and that you are the future of this industry. Don't let that flame be extinguished by our collective mistakes … we will persevere as an industry."

Larian Studios' head of production David Walgrave also took to the microphone to share a few words. "We ask you to pay one price only for the game, and that's it—you can own it for the rest of your life. We don't have shareholders, but we also don't think about them. There's an expression in Dutch—'honesty lasts longest', or something."

That reads to me like a dig at Embracer Group's recent comments. In a gaudy bit of saying the quiet part out loud, Embracer remarked that its "overruling principle is to always maximize shareholder value in any given situation" in a financial report. This was in the wake of laying off 1,400 employees over six months in 2023. A failure to read the room, even if it's patently true.

"We don't make decisions where we think 'this could make us the most money'," Walgrave continues. "In the long run, building a community, building a playerbase, building games that are actually fun is going to make you the most money, that's it."

Larian Studios does technically have a single shareholder in Tencent—which owns around 30% of the company. However, an important piece of context is that Tencent appears to own what's called a "preference" share, meaning that Tencent doesn't have voting rights when it comes to Larian's decision making. The rest of the company belongs to CEO and Founder Swen Vincke and his wife.

I'm noting this more for clarifications' sake, rather than to disagree with anything Walgrave said—when we think of the influence shareholders typically have on large gaming companies and publishers, Larian Studios is under no obligation to kiss the ring.

Updated 3/21 GDC Industry Greed and Layoffs

Greed has been fucking this whole thing up for so long, since I started," Vincke said, while collecting the GDCA Best Narrative award for Baldur's Gate 3. "I've been fighting publishers my entire life and I keep on seeing the same, same, same mistakes over, and over and over.

"It's always the quarterly profits," he continued, "the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say 'shit I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken...

"You don't have to," Vincke went on. "You can make reserves. Just slow down a bit. Slow down on the greed. Be resilient, take care of the people, don't lose the institutional knowledge that's been built up in the people you lose every single time, so you have to go through the same cycle over and over and over. It really pisses me off."
Source - Eurogamer

Last edited:
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
What an amazing privilege to not have to cater to greedy money goblins who view people as liabilities on a spreadsheet.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It must be a privilege to not have to cater to greedy money goblins who view people as liabilities on a spreadsheet.
We don't make decisions where we think 'this could make us the most money'," Walgrave continues. "In the long run, building a community, building a playerbase, building games that are actually fun is going to make you the most money, that's it."

Loving this right here. Some devs are real about their passion. Yes you need to make a profit to keep the lights on and pay your staff but it shouldn't be the be all, end all.

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That evil greedy Embracer Group. How dare it "answer to shareholders" when it has an unsustainable level of debt and is desperately seeking additional finances.

Last edited:

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
swen-vincke-ceo-larian-studios.png

"Greed has been fucking this whole thing up for so long, since I started," Vincke said, while collecting the GDCA Best Narrative award for Baldur's Gate 3. "I've been fighting publishers my entire life and I keep on seeing the same, same, same mistakes over, and over and over.

"It's always the quarterly profits," he continued, "the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say 'shit I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken...

"You don't have to," Vincke went on. "You can make reserves. Just slow down a bit. Slow down on the greed. Be resilient, take care of the people, don't lose the institutional knowledge that's been built up in the people you lose every single time, so you have to go through the same cycle over and over and over. It really pisses me off."
Source - Eurogamer

Last edited by a moderator:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
True but it doesn't mean there are not a lot of useless people there to advise on topics that don't add any entertainment value.

Too many social media people... too many producers etc.

peter42O

Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
He's not wrong but I don't see any problem with cutting the fat. My problem is letting people who are veterans who know what they're doing due to years/decades of experience and being replaced by newbies/rookies.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
He's not wrong but I don't see any problem with cutting the fat. My problem is letting people who are veterans who know what they're doing due to years/decades of experience and being replaced by newbies/rookies.
That "fat" worked for years, but when it came to more profits, it is suddenly "fat".

Obviously they are doing that for profits and shareholders, not because they are suffering.

Reactions: peter42O

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
The press blowies are going to his head. There absolutely are companies (particularly the smaller ones) that did this to save their own skin. Heck, there's a select few that outright closed down.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's pretty convenient that just when IA started to really take of they now decided they have a lot of fat to cut off.

I don't really care as long as the top tier studio are still able to prosper, so far so good.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Statements like these always come back to bite you in your ass. Larian better hope they never have layoffs because the internet never forgets. The best thing to do is just shut up and just make games but I guess the success of BG3 went to the head