Last Epoch director admits his optimistic launch expectations 'aged like milk' as its servers struggle under the weight of 160K players

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Last Epoch had its full 1.0 release yesterday and immediately started suffering from its success. "Within 20 minutes of launch 150,000 people had joined us," game director and founder of Eleventh Hour Games Judd Cobler wrote on Reddit yesterday. "This did mean that all of our scale testing efforts were immediately put to the test, and unfortunately a service failed in a way that we didn’t suspect, and we immediately went to work to investigate and resolve it."

Players experienced disconnects and abnormally long loading times as they transitioned between areas. Despite the developer's efforts throughout the last 24 hours, those issues persisted until a few hours ago when the servers seemingly shut down. I was able to connect to the online mode of the game shortly after, but area transitions still take up to several minutes to work.

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Last Epoch peak CCU today(so far, it might peak higher during EU times) - 228,411

To put this in perspective, the all-time peak CCU for Path of Exile is 211,637 achieved 11 months ago.
Do note that about 30% of players on PC do use the PoE launcher instead of Steam, so PoE peak is still higher in total.

But Last Epoch is a paid game(even if it's on the cheaper side) so I don't think they expected to have more players than basically any other ARPG on PC that is not Lost Ark and/or Diablo.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
But Last Epoch is a paid game(even if it's on the cheaper side) so I don't think they expected to have more players than basically any other ARPG on PC that is not Lost Ark and/or Diablo.

This excuse for online games to not expect a lot of people to actually use their product is so idiotic. Both helldivers and this having server issues is somehow okay because they didn't expect a lot of people to want to play.

How about online developers make a product that actually scales correctly when players are online. That's the least paying customers should expect.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Last Epoch peak CCU today(so far, it might peak higher during EU times) - 228,411

To put this in perspective, the all-time peak CCU for Path of Exile is 211,637 achieved 11 months ago.
Do note that about 30% of players on PC do use the PoE launcher instead of Steam, so PoE peak is still higher in total.

Good it's thriving as well.