Legend of Zelda: TotK Live Impressions and Open Spoilers

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I guess we need a home to openly talk about this game. Forget the review thread.

This is a huge game so I expect anyone playing has a lot to talk about…

I’m still early on. Sky isles intro completed, about 20 korok seeds and a handful of the main quests progressed a bit. I just did my first visit into the underworld.

I’ve said it in the other thread but the intro sky opening was a bit weak, especially while essentially being very similar to botw’s. Returning to the same Hyrule has also been a bit hype deflating

Such a huge game tho. And much to uncover. I’m sure others are much further along. I can’t plow thru this as quickly as I did botw that’s for sure… and that’s mostly because it feels like I played it already.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Very interested in hearing as many impressions as I can on here, I trust you guys more than any reviewer and a lot of us have similar taste in games and place great value on certain aspects.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I don’t remember anything similar in botw but there’s a bit more of a Zelda feel to towns and exploration. They did a better job here with it and I can’t put my finger on it just yet.

You can drop into wells and discover caves. Decent rewards down there. But it’s usually just rare materials.

Like Likes are back and are meaty. Shooting them with bomb or fire arrows brings out their crit eye or whatever it is. Shoot another arrow at the crit to drop and stun em to rush in for melee attacks. They’re fun.

Thought I was creeping up on an enemy camp but it ended up being an enemy camp on top of a giant rock boss that raised from the grass. That was very cool and I enjoyed the battle music.

If they expanded on questing and world design most of my negative criticisms can be outweighed. I want this sequel to be more side quest heavy. I want it to be what majora’s mask was to oot.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
My impressions after playing 24 hrs with the game and I won't go into too many details as I'm going blind but it feels different than BOTW there are a lot of mechanics that seem and play differently and wish Nintendo implanted them in the first one. The weapon creation makes up for the weapons breaking in this sequel. The game feels alive in a way and does not feel like you are lonely compared to BOTW. The map does feel different and I don't understand why people are saying (Xbox and PlayStation fanboys) it looks the same. But not going to get into that. Just check Twitter. -- Anyways the story is a heck of a lot better than the BOTW. The fact that you can be creative is amazing now my final thoughts so far are the performance is horrible in some parts and the fact that you can't change the controller layout is dumb. I wish they released this game for their next-gen system. Because my only gripe is the performance and Nintendo needs to hurry the heck up and release the Switch 2 or whatever they are going to call it. The overall score is 8/10 due to a lack of good performance.

• brain
  • Informative
Reactions: Sircaw and Bryank75
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Ideally I would love to see Zelda ditch the more gimmicky hooks they started to lean more heavily on post TWW. More sword n shield than giant magnets and Lego building. The ocarina is still the best of them all… it was also sort a functional instrument and only wasted one item slot. Man I loved that thing…

Of course something like that is kinda exactly what Elden Ring is. That’s def a debate to have.

I’m gonna try not to get hung up on that tho. I’m having a good time and it’s clear this game will take a gargantuan effort even on my end to see most of.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Playing it now, of course. I went back to BotW last month in preparation and even so its overwhelming how much new stuff there is so far. Clearly going to be putting another 100 hours into this one.

I do miss bombs though...

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I want to add that DF’s tech review is a bunch of lies. They are full of shit especially in regards to the day one performance patch.

The resolution changes are jarring and all over the place. Frame drops under 30 quite frequently.

It doesn’t bother me where I would knock the game down for it but it’s surely noticeable.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think the mechanics are a bit more complex this time around, probably a good thing, though I do miss bombs and, if it doesn't come back, will miss Revali's Gale. In that way (the complex mechanics) it benefits from being a sequel. Truly additive.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
What do you mean no bombs? There’s still bomb flowers everywhere. Do you mean like classic Zelda with the bomb bags?

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I mean BotW style bombs that you can summon with a single click.

I can’t remember how it was then. You can bring ‘em up here to toss. It’s a bit cumbersome… most of the controls are.

You got to hold R like if you were to toss your weapon and then press up on d-pad while still holding r and cycle thru that item menu to pick bombs to toss them.

Most of my time has been stuggling with controls. It’s sorta worse than I remember. The lock on targeting and not being able to toggle between enemies… dude it was better in oot where they first introduced it. They blew it here with combat and controls. Too much has been sacrificed for who knows what reason.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm still on the first island. I don't like building stuff. I wish there was a blueprint you can just click and it's built. Is it coming?

I don't play Minecraft or Fortnite because I hate survival and crafting.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I can’t remember how it was then. You can bring ‘em up here to toss. It’s a bit cumbersome… most of the controls are.

You got to hold R like if you were to toss your weapon and then press up on d-pad while still holding r and cycle thru that item menu to pick bombs to toss them.

Most of my time has been stuggling with controls. It’s sorta worse than I remember. The lock on targeting and not being able to toggle between enemies… dude it was better in oot where they first introduced it. They blew it here with combat and controls. Too much has been sacrificed for who knows what reason.
In BotW they were a power, so you just hit LT to create a bomb, RT to throw it and then LT again to detonate.

Reactions: Vertigo

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
So far I don't see the justification for all the hype, it's 2017's BoTW with different powers. Extremely similar game up to this point.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Much better designed open word. Lots of cool stuff happens… for instance… just went on a monster raid with farmers carrying pitchforks. Frame rate completely tanked here btw.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Explored mount daphnes area… saw a tree trump with a hole for a hidden area clearly. Drop down and it’s pretty big. Like like down there and one of those gem frogs. Good amount of materials down there too. Keep exploring and set some vines on fire blocking a route… great pay off… fierce diety booties

Reactions: voke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Much better designed open word. Lots of cool stuff happens… for instance… just went on a monster raid with farmers carrying pitchforks. Frame rate completely tanked here btw.

Doked or portable? What Switch you have the first model or the late?

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Oh you mean my performance criticisms? Docked. I never play switch as a handheld. It’s an earlier model.