Legendary gets movie & tv show rights for Street Fighter

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Legendary is ready to unleash a sonic boom, with the studio acquiring the film and TV rights to the classic beat-em-up game Street Fighter. The studio will work with video game company Capcom on future projects.

List of Legendary Pictures films:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legendary_Pictures_films

List of Legendary Pictures tv shows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legendary_Television_programs

Considering Legendary isn't owned by Sony, I assume that this move means they don't plan to sell Capcom to Sony.

24 Jun 2022
What does signing a deal with Legendary for movie/tv content have in terms of implications on Sony acquiring Capcom?

Here I will give you a hint: zero. There is zero correlation. You've had some oddball takes the past week but this one is a half court blind shot type of reach.

D

Deleted member 223

I don't think we can definitely say either way.

I'm of the belief Sony doesn't need any Japanese pub under its pocket. They are strategic partners as is. The sales splits on the majority of games published by them is totally lopsided in Sony's favor.

Sony does need to jack up and put some pounds on the WRPG, Shooter front, which is where MS has gained orders of magnitude of muscle overnight. Europe still has some independent middle weights that can be poached and help alliviate the potential problem (at least with RPGs). FPS is another story.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
What's the point of bringing up Sony specifically? As if the movie rights for Street Fighter had anything to do with anyone acquiring Capcom.

Street Fighter live action movie sounds like a very stupid idea.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Next live action capcom movie to bomb. They really can't help themselves. Like jesus give animation a chance. This why i hope the mario movie makes a ton of money so it shows companies that your ip doesn't have to be live action all the time to make bank.

Reactions: Nhomnhom
24 Jun 2022
I don't think we can definitely say either way.

I'm of the belief Sony doesn't need any Japanese pub under its pocket. They are strategic partners as is. The sales splits on the majority of games published by them is totally lopsided in Sony's favor.

Sony does need to jack up and put some pounds on the WRPG, Shooter front, which is where MS has gained orders of magnitude of muscle overnight. Europe still has some independent middle weights that can be poached and help alliviate the potential problem (at least with RPGs). FPS is another story.

It's not just about sales splits. It's about Sony's ability to work with key independent 3P publishers. If companies like Microsoft buy a prominent (or several) 3P Japanese publishers, that is those companies basically buying their way to profit off the work Sony and that 3P did to build up the latter's brand off the strength of the PlayStation brand, and the two brands enjoying a positive feedback loop of growth as a result.

Sony's inability to secure key 3P partnerships in the face of an acquisition storm, especially key Japanese 3P partners in particular who've built most of their modern brand growth on PlayStation, would be seen as a critical weakness and deservedly so. What does it matter for Sony if they still get the games? They would now have to operate in a perpetual worry they could lose access to those games in the future, and stomach the fact 70% of all sales of those games on PlayStation are now going to the pockets of Microsoft, or some other Big Tech who would have total control over those IP and much less incentive to work with Sony on new opportunities of those IP than if that 3P partner remained independent.

Like imagine if Sony wanted to work with Capcom on a new Strider, or Mega man Legends. A Capcom owned by Microsoft would never be open to the proposal because in that timeline Capcom IS Microsoft, since Microsoft would own them. So Sony loses out on co-developing, co-funding, and providing their technical and creative ideas, as well as marketing muscle, with Capcom. It also increases the chance we don't get a new Strider or Megaman Legends under a Capcom-owned Microsoft. One reason being, because both IP have little to no historical cache with the Xbox audience.

Even if we were to get those games, who here can honestly say Microsoft could elevate those games to the new types of high heights we've seen Sony achieve with various 3P co- developed games over the many years? Microsoft simply do not have that track record, and you don't suddenly gain it overnight no matter how much money you have.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Also just found out something that makes @Yurinka's take look even more foolish considering he is generally on top of this stuff but, seems Sony signed on to become Legendary Picture's new distributor.

Can't post links atm, but you can Google the news. The deal is for film distribution worldwide (sans China). So knowing this, @Yurinka did you know this before and are playing dumb, or did you in fact not know this at all?

Either I don't know why you drew a correlation between the deal and an acquisition to begin with, but if the logic was that it means no acquisition since it isn't Sony Pictures, well a bit more research would show there's a strong link between Sony Pictures and Legendary Pictures anyhow.

I am not even using this to suggest heightened chances of Sony acquiring Capcom or anything. However, I'm just going by your logic and by that logic, I guess an acquisition would be happening 😉

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Also just found out something that makes @Yurinka's take look even more foolish considering he is generally on top of this stuff but, seems Sony signed on to become Legendary Picture's new distributor.

Can't post links atm, but you can Google the news. The deal is for film distribution worldwide (sans China). So knowing this, @Yurinka did you know this before and are playing dumb, or did you in fact not know this at all?

Either I don't know why you drew a correlation between the deal and an acquisition to begin with, but if the logic was that it means no acquisition since it isn't Sony Pictures, well a bit more research would show there's a strong link between Sony Pictures and Legendary Pictures anyhow.

I am not even using this to suggest heightened chances of Sony acquiring Capcom or anything. However, I'm just going by your logic and by that logic, I guess an acquisition would be happening 😉
Why is foolish?

If Capcom would be in talks to sell the company to Sony (SIE), it would make sense that both Capcom and SIE would want Sony's PlayStation Productions would help them with the movie/tv show/anime adaptations of their IPs, because it would be one of the big benefits for both in case of an acquisition. These adaptations are a priority for both SIE and Capcom, so wouldn't be something minor.

So if they were in talks to make the acquisition, it would make sense to give the rights to Sony (PlayStation Productions specifically) themselves instead of to a different company as Legendary.

Yes, a very small part of the movies and tv shows from Legendary are distributed by Sony. It can be seen in the wikipedia articles I shared. But this isn't the same than these movies being produced by PlayStation Productions (which also means in coproduction with other Sony owned studios).

And yes, Sony has a deal with Legendary to distribute future Legendary movies. But in that same announcement they mention that Legendary will also continue working with Warner, who distributed many of their movies released until now.

What's the point of bringing up Sony specifically? As if the movie rights for Street Fighter had anything to do with anyone acquiring Capcom.

Street Fighter live action movie sounds like a very stupid idea.
In games, the Street Fighter series sold around 50M copies in home videogames and has been one of the biggest game ever in the arcades. Their more recent game in the series is the best selling SKU in the series, and the next entry seems that will solve its flaws, so following recent pattern of Capcom big successes pretty likely will be even more successful. It's a very popular IP with a lot of potential.

And as of 2018, the cheesy Street Fighter Van Damme movie generated them $117M (4 times what they invested on it) and continued making money, so Capcom considers it a big success and shows that there is potential in SF movies:

image.png

Last edited:

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
I dont see sony spending cc 10 billion on Capcom. I just dont. Dont think they re open to selling or that they re worth that much. Their revenue adn profit margins re no that great. Also i always found that Capcom has had better relationships with MS or Nintendo than Sony for some reason. Found it strange. Heck they made more xbox than ps exclusives.

Also dont see them selling to MS. It means death of ips.

Still think sony s focused on west market and studios like larian, cdpr etc.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Ohhh I’m hoping that means Kong is out of monster verse. Godzilla needs to kill him off proper or the villain of the next movie do it; space Godzilla/biollante. Trust me, no one will care. Toho has control of these movies now it seems too. Let’s goooo.

• angry
Reactions: Ezekiel
24 Jun 2022
I dont see sony spending cc 10 billion on Capcom. I just dont. Dont think they re open to selling or that they re worth that much. Their revenue adn profit margins re no that great. Also i always found that Capcom has had better relationships with MS or Nintendo than Sony for some reason. Found it strange. Heck they made more xbox than ps exclusives.

Also dont see them selling to MS. It means death of ips.

Still think sony s focused on west market and studios like larian, cdpr etc.

Did you just come from a parallel universe or something? Do you look at Capcom's financial data? Most of their console sales are on PlayStation. Their marketing deals are with PlayStation. Xbox as a platform is an afterthought for them, and their relationship with Nintendo is mainly about Monster Hunter and rereleases of old arcade games at exaggerated prices.

The only time Capcom were close with Xbox was the 360 era, and that's because they were transitioning to an HD production line, and needed to start focusing more on the West. PS3 got off to a bad start that gen so that kind of forced Capcom's hand. But eventually whatever was 360exclusive, mostly came over to PS3 eventually. In fact Capcom stopped with any 360 exclusives by the time SF4 and RE5 came out, which was around when PS3 started recovering.

As for Nintendo, well Nintendo had two whole console generations where PlayStation didn't exist so of course. However, once PS1 came out Capcom threw their main support at them, not Nintendo, and that continued the following generation, too.

24 Jun 2022
Reactions: Puff

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
What I want: crazy SF2 inspired insanity

What we will get: more The Legend of Chun Li