Level-5’s CEO hopes to make erotic and violent games someday

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

In a recent joint interview with Grasshopper Manufacture’s Goichi Suda, Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino expressed some of his personal ambitions as a creator. While Level-5 are generally known for their safe and marketable games, it seems that on a personal level, Hino would like to try his hand at edgier content, including games with erotic and violent themes.

Level 5 is the studio behind widely palatable IPs such as Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven and Yo-Kai Watch, while Goichi Suda’s Grasshopper Manufacture targets a more niche audience with dark titles such as The Silver Case, Killer7 and No More Heroes. Hino and Suda have been on friendly terms for years, but they are seemingly opposites in regard to the content they create. Recently, the two CEOs were invited to a joint interview organized by Denfaminicogamer, where they both expressed unexpected sentiments.

20240501-30362-002.jpg

Grasshopper Manufacture’s “The Silver Case

When asked about the reason he decided to establish his own game company, Level-5’s Hino explains, “I didn’t want to be told what to make by superiors, I wanted to make what I want, especially the kind of RPGs I love.” Hino also expresses admiration for Suda’s bold work, commenting, “Creators who can release such edgy titles into the world are amazing.”

Hino goes on to reveal that he too is keen on creating edgier and more niche content. “If I were to put it in extreme terms, I would go as far as to say that I want to make things like erotic games and 18+ games with violence,” the creator comments while laughing. At the same time, he mentions that his current situation does not exactly allow him to do whatever he wants, as he is responsible for continuing ongoing series and developing new IPs with his collaborators.

When asked by Suda if he has any ideas “on stock” in his head, Level-5’s CEO amusingly explains, “I do, there’s an ‘abnormal world’ inside of me, but I’m trying not to go there, only making things from the righteous part of my mind instead. However, deep down, I really want to visit that abnormal world.”

Despite current circumstances and his responsibility as CEO, Hino seems optimistic that he will start his dark arc someday, as he comments, “I want to go that dark, abnormal world, and I think I will definitely end up doing so. Once I feel that Level-5 is stable, and I have the room to make what I want…I will do it (laughs).”

In response, Goichi Suda exclaims that a mature game by Hino would be revolutionary, and it really is an interesting possibility to look forward to.