Lies of P Dev Explains Benefits of Launching Day One With Xbox Game Pass

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

One constant benefit of the service, especially for any new IP, is an almost instant community. Someone who may skip on a game like Lies of P at retail value may find themselves drawn to it when it comes at the cost of their subscription. Game Pass is a serious benefit, one that game director Jiwon Choi described as "one of the best options for us to get the game into the hands of a large community of players" as a completely new IP in a recent interview with Game Rant.
"The Xbox team ran a wide range of marketing campaigns for Lies of P, and I cannot reveal the exact number here, but a huge number of gamers have played our game through Xbox Game Pass. I believe both parties earned a very good result from this collaboration."

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Good for them... It was my fave game of this year.

But this is all fluff talk. Let's see if their next game launches on Game Pass day one

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah that makes sense.
Lots of game studios, startups especially, from China/Korea/X that have no presence outside of their region are looking to partner up to gain greater visibility on a global scale than they could ever achieve by themselves.
Especially if they're choosing to enter PC/console market instead of mobile where they'll need to rely more on revenue generated outside of Asia.

Reactions: Luffy123

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This sounds less like a benefit of being on "gamepass" and more of a benefit of being one of the few games with an xbox marketing deal. plenty of indie games flop on gamepass daily because they don't have that luxury.

Also gamepass doesn't provide and "instant community", most of the instant hype from lies of p came from the souls community/streamers that would've happened with or without gamepass.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This sounds less like a benefit of being on "gamepass" and more of a benefit of being one of the few games with an xbox marketing deal. plenty of indie games flop on gamepass daily because they don't have that luxury.

Also gamepass doesn't provide and "instant community", most of the instant hype from lies of p came from the souls community/streamers that would've happened with or without gamepass.
Considering the bulk of sales for the game came from PlayStation users, I'd say the MS deal did approximately fuck all for the game.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Considering the bulk of sales for the game came from PlayStation users, I'd say the MS deal did approximately fuck all for the game.
Yep, I'd say the vast majority of people played this game on playstation or Steam. But there's the classic MS marketing spin for ya.

Gamepass and xbox have seen declines this year. So gamepass didn't benefit from Lies of P and neither did Lies of P benefit from gamepass.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

I think the hype came from the reveal trailer and people thinking it looked new and different. I usually don't follow Souls-likes but always kept an eye on this one.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

It's one and the same now since Xbox's marketing budget was decimated. They're only allowed to market gamepass games.

"I believe both parties earned a very good result from this collaboration."
Microsoft did not benefit. They paid money up front, they marketed the game for no return because sales did not pick up on Xbox, and they got no net user increase for GP.

This is important because the content portfolio was expanding at the time but the amount of paying subscribers and revenue per subscriber was not.

MIcrosoft: The Mierdas Touch!

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time, and I can HIGHLY recommend lies of p. I almost overlooked it myself and I'm glad I didn't. Superb game
Maybe I'll try it one day, probably not, it rubs me the wrong way as I don't like clones of other games. Just seems too creatively bankrupt to try to create a game like that.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
He can say this because other platforms made up for the shortfall in sales that happens when releasing a game on Game Pass. If it had been Xbox exclusive, the game's sales would have been cannibalized by Game Pass - just like all the other games as confirmed by MS itself.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
TLDR: MS are desperate to grow their service's subscriptions numbers so they gave us quite a bit of money and marketing exposition.

This is how people grow or maintain their subs service, so there is nothing special there.