Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth dev surprised by unprecedented speed of sales and big change in sales pattern.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1710762885368.png

In a statement to 4Gamer, Like a Dragon series producer and RGG Studio director Masayoshi Yokoyama explained just how unprecedented Infinite Wealth’s performance has been so far: “We gave a press release about how (Infinite Wealth) sold over 1 million copies worldwide in one week following its release, but it’s really a speed we have never experienced before.” He adds, “Like a Dragon games sell in the long run, rather than right off the bat. This has been the case ever since the series’ early days. It has an adult player base, after all, so there’s no rush, you know? People hear about the games from their friends, they happen to come across them, and that’s how the titles grow. That’s why the way (Infinite Wealth) started off was quite surprising to me.”

Due to the nature of Yakuza games and their target audience, the Like a Dragon developers are not used to expecting explosive sales immediately upon launch, but rather a steady accumulation over time. However, it seems that Infinite Wealth has changed this pattern with its unexpectedly high launch sales. Furthermore, sales in Japan and Asia seem to have made up a big part of this momentum, as Yokoyama notes, “The game is incredibly strong in Japan. Sales in (the rest of) Asia are also quite strong, but the momentum in Japan is even greater than in the past

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Did that really happen? They just didn't release on GP. They had no marketing tied to PS, right?
Sega pulled a Square Enix (Rise of The Tomb Raider) and started only marketing the game with PlayStation Logo at the start on social media since they couldn't do it "officially" through paid ads. Initially they wouldn't even include the PS Logo when mentioning the game.

But since December I noticed everything they posted has the PlayStation logo and no mention of Xbox on social media

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
one of my all time favorite franchises so this is great news but I hate seeing these Xbox and PC clowns pretend like this has anything to do with them when >80% of sales are on PS. Sony messed up not securing these games. The Xbox deals is the reason why Yakuza/Persona now have anti consumer business practices and trashy dubbing from YongYea

Reactions: Puff

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Sega pulled a Square Enix (Rise of The Tomb Raider) and started only marketing the game with PlayStation Logo at the start on social media since they couldn't do it "officially" through paid ads. Initially they wouldn't even include the PS Logo when mentioning the game.

But since December I noticed everything they posted has the PlayStation logo and no mention of Xbox on social media
Hahahaha, took them long enough. Good to hear, anyway.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
one of my all time favorite franchises so this is great news but I hate seeing these Xbox and PC clowns pretend like this has anything to do with them when >80% of sales are on PS. Sony messed up not securing these games. The Xbox deals is the reason why Yakuza/Persona now have anti consumer business practices and trashy dubbing from YongYea
We know they know where the sales came from lol

Reactions: JAHGamer