Lost Soul Aside dev: Sony provides pm advise, middleware, QA, and sound support, plus consulting from PlayStation Studios, all for free

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
"Sony Interactive Entertainment offers project management advice and opportunities for market exposure and brand promotion, which are very important to us. Sony Interactive Entertainment also provides middleware, QA, and sound support, plus consulting from PlayStation Studios, all for free. I deeply appreciate it."

Source

2spooky5me

12 May 2024
According to Doc Buford, Chris Grannell, Jonathan Cooper and David Jaffe, these freebies are not enough! PS needs to foot the bill 100% AND make everything multi platform!

• haha
Reactions: Jim Ryan

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
This is the AI Limit dev it seems. That said Lost Soul Aside dev is Yang Bing and this dev is Yang Bin lol Sony really does a great job at fostering these partnerships and relationships. It's one of the best things they've been doing in reaching out to new markets.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
TBH Im tired of seeing Sony help a studio become relevant and then either Sony not doing anything with them afterwards or the studio wanting to go 3rd party or sold to someone else.
I love games like Stellar Blade, but make something more of it afterwards. For example will Amber labs who made Kena, make another exclusive or go multiplatform day 1?

Sony is good at making an initial relationship, then just lets it turns to nothing.
Apart from Kojima I cant think of anything that has lasted long. They had to buy Insomniac after they went and worked with MS on an exclusive.

Studios and Publishers like FromSoft, Quantic Dreams, Sega, Ninja Theory, Double fine and others are no longer making exclusives for PS.
Unless Sony buys Arrowhead and Shift up, there next games wont be exclusive to Playstation. I mean they probably have a contract for a Helldivers 3 but maybe not.

If Lost Souls Aside is good, there next game will be multiplatform, just like the others

So yeah, Sony is great at reaching these new areas and studios, but for what in the end… They are just gonna go multiplatform in there next game thanks to Sony helping them become successful. They need to buy them, the times of partnering up with a studio for decades has gone, buy them or lose them. Sony isnt buying a publisher, but they need to buy a handful of studios at least

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
TBH Im tired of seeing Sony help a studio become relevant and then either Sony not doing anything with them afterwards or the studio wanting to go 3rd party or sold to someone else.
I love games like Stellar Blade, but make something more of it afterwards. For example will Amber labs who made Kena, make another exclusive or go multiplatform day 1?

Sony is good at making an initial relationship, then just lets it turns to nothing.
Studios and Publishers like FromSoft, Quantic Dreams, Sega, Ninja Theory, Double fine and others are no longer making exclusives for PS.
How do you know that Sony won't do anything with them?

If both parties consider it's worth it and their strategies align they'll keep working together again in the future or could even end on an acquisition.

As an example, Sony has a minority of FromSoft, Kadokawa and signed a deal with them, so I think it's pretty much confirmed that they'll work together again. Both FromSoft and Kadokawa have dozens of PS exclusives since back to the early PS1 days.

Regarding Double Fine, did they ever did something for Sony other than one of the minigames of The Playroom?

Unless Sony buys Arrowhead and Shift up, there next games wont be exclusive to Playstation.
I mean they probably have a contract for a Helldivers 3 but maybe not.
As I remember all console Arrowhead games are PS console exclusive. I don't see them going multi. I think it's more likely that they may end being acquired at some point.

Shift Up said they are evaluating the Stellar Blade PC port and sequel, and that are working on another mobile+PC game (codenamed "project witches").

If Lost Souls Aside is good, there next game will be multiplatform, just like the others
Did they announced it?

So yeah, Sony is great at reaching these new areas and studios, but for what in the end… They are just gonna go multiplatform in there next game thanks to Sony helping them become successful. They need to buy them, the times of partnering up with a studio for decades has gone, buy them or lose them. Sony isnt buying a publisher, but they need to buy a handful of studios at least
Sony did acquire several of the 2nd party studios they did work with, like ND, Eidetic (part of what ended being Bend), Sucker Punch, San Diego Studio (Sony acquired Red Zone and merged it with 989), Guerrilla, Insomniac, Media Molecule, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Bungie, Firewalk, Haven etc...

Some other ones didn't/don't want to be acquired (like Kojipro). And maybe Sony didn't have a good experience with other ones or their games didn't perform good enough.

But make sure Sony will continue acquiring studios when they consider it's the time and when they find the proper opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Apart from Kojima I cant think of anything that has lasted long. They had to buy Insomniac after they went and worked with MS on an exclusive.

Literally Bluepoint, Team Ninja and Housemarque as well. I mean look at how the HoYoverse relationship is paying off. All these partnerships pay off one way or another. Let them help these studios grow. It's only a good thing for the industry. Sony got what they wanted out of these deals and that relationship will be there in the future for more collabs.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
How do you know that Sony won't do anything with them?

I dont, but it seems like theres alot of pressure on whoever goes exclusive with PS. I dont know how Sony will hold on to there exclusives outside of there own PS Studios, especially when the studio gets more success.
If both parties consider it's worth it and their strategies align they'll keep working together again in the future or could even end on an acquisition.
Im sure its worth it, Id like something more solid, like acquisitions if they are worth it. Bluepoint and HouseMarque style

As an example, Sony has a minority of FromSoft, Kadokawa and signed a deal with them, so I think it's pretty much confirmed that they'll work together again. Both FromSoft and Kadokawa have dozens of PS exclusives since back to the early PS1 days.
I know but we’ve only had 1 VR game from Miyazaki since 2015. After the Elden Ring success and everyone pretending that exclusives are bad for business, I see them going the Sega, Capcom and now Square route saying they want to be more Multiplatform. The media are gunning for anyone who does a 3rd party exclusive with Playstation.
Regarding Double Fine, did they ever did something for Sony other than one of the minigames of The Playroom?
Yeah they didnt work with each other much. I just feel Sony/Playstation put them back on the map, with the early PS4 ports and putting him on stage. Then next they are bought by Xbox. Kinda same with Ninja Theory

As I remember all console Arrowhead games are PS console exclusive. I don't see them going multi. I think it's more likely that they may end being acquired at some point.
I hope so. They might think they will be fine by themselves now after becoming a commercial success.

Shift Up said they are evaluating the Stellar Blade PC port and sequel, and that are working on another mobile+PC game (codenamed "project witches").
Would be nice to have them on board. I really enjoyed Stellar Blade surprisingly.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I dont, but it seems like theres alot of pressure on whoever goes exclusive with PS. I dont know how Sony will hold on to there exclusives outside of there own PS Studios, especially when the studio gets more success.
Well, Sony gets many 2nd or 3rd party exclusives every year, during the Jimbo era they signed a record number for this generation.

Who knows what it's going to happen after it, with the projects coming later from these teams. Pretty likely if they are successful enough and had a good experience working together Sony will ask them to continue working together.

Some companies may be interested to continue working with them, others may have got a better offer elsewhere, or may consider that they need to move to multiplatform to make more money because games are getting to expensive and the Sony money isn't enough. Or maybe once they got enough money may decide it's better for them to self publish.

Or they may ask a certain amount of money to Sony that Sony may consider isn't worth it.

There are a lot of possibilities, and I assume each case is different.

I know but we’ve only had 1 VR game from Miyazaki since 2015. After the Elden Ring success and everyone pretending that exclusives are bad for business, I see them going the Sega, Capcom and now Square route saying they want to be more Multiplatform.
In previous generations these or other publishers did this thing of "from now on we'll rely less on exclusives and on games focused for a specific region, to instead focus more on multiplatform games with a global appeal".

Remember GTA, DMC, Final Final Fantasy, Tekken, etc. used to be exclusive and at some point became multiplatform, for the same reaon they are doing it now: games getting too expensive for the next generation, so need the money from more platforms.

Yeah they didnt work with each other much. I just feel Sony/Playstation put them back on the map, with the early PS4 ports and putting him on stage. Then next they are bought by Xbox. Kinda same with Ninja Theory
Well, Double Fine were popular because their heads previously made popular adventure games at Lucasfilm, and then because of their multiplatform games like Psychonauts and Brutal Legend.

They did some mobile only, PC only or Xbox only stuff, but I don't remember them doing any PS exclusive game.

Regarding Ninja Theory yes, Sony did put them on the map and later MS bought them. I assume that after the Hellblade 2 failure MS may shut down the studio next year, and Sony may hire some talent or sign some kind of deal with an studio of former Ninja Theory devs.

Would be nice to have them on board. I really enjoyed Stellar Blade surprisingly.
I agree. Still haven't completed it but so far I love the game.

I think they are going a great job scouting these Asian countries finding people like them or MiHoyo. I'd bet games like Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero will be pretty good too.

But let's hope they diversify more the type of game, souls and hack & slash are great but I think they have to differentiate themselves more because recently we're getting a ton of "Chouls" (Chinese Souls) games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko