Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Just about to buy one, think I'm going for the WD Black or the Samsung 980.

Kid forced my hand, he keeps loading all his games and it's wasting my time with deleting and loading too much.

• haha
Reactions: toadsage44

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Nice too see the prices drop. I am really curious now, what kind of storage space solutions we will be getting with next gen machines on PS6/Next Xbox.

I usually stick with Samsungs personally. And what is the next big thing for speeds?, does anyone know what a next gen SSD would be consisting off? Or is there something completely brand new already in the PC space ?

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Nice too see the prices drop. I am really curious now, what kind of storage space solutions we will be getting with next gen machines on PS6/Next Xbox.

I usually stick with Samsungs personally. And what is the next big thing for speeds?, does anyone know what a next gen SSD would be consisting off? Or is there something completely brand new already in the PC space ?
Pci gen 5 is already here but it's expensive af. Goes up to 15,000MB/s transfers.

Reactions: Elder Legend

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Just about to buy one, think I'm going for the WD Black or the Samsung 980.

Kid forced my hand, he keeps loading all his games and it's wasting my time with deleting and loading too much.
i dont know if its the right one but

Samsung 980 PRO SSD with Heatsink 2TB PCIe Gen 4 NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive, Heat Control, Max Speed, PS5 Compatible, MZ-V8P1T0CW​

185 bucks now, that's incredible considering it's the 2 version not the one 1

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I’m hoping to hold out until I can get 4TB for $199 CAD.

I’ll probably have one in about a decade!
old man GIF

@KiryuRealty on his way to pick up with 4Tb drive

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Pci gen 5 is already here but it's expensive af. Goes up to 15,000MB/s transfers.
Do you believe that that is what next gen consoles will be using if we are looking at a new cycle beginning sometime in 2028 or 2029? I feel like by then even that will be outdated.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Do you believe that that is what next gen consoles will be using if we are looking at a new cycle beginning sometime in 2028 or 2029? I feel like by then even that will be outdated.
Depends on the pricing. Flash memory is scaling faster than DRAM in terms of price/speed/capacity but I honestly dont see applications scaling to the point of needing anything beyond what we have now at least by 2028. Hell, we don't have anything that's maxing out the ps5 right now, which we already know can peak over 22gb/s when the assets can be compressed optimally. Maybe when we start transitioning to 8k+ TVs... and I don't know when that'll happen when we're barely getting widespread adoption of 4k60hz TVs now, but even then I think consoles will try to have hardware DLSS/FSR type upscaling rather than going full native. I think next gen will be about AI acceleration of image upscaling and maybe AI frame generation/prediction because trying to go to 4k120hz or 8k30 natively would be way too costly in components.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Depends on the pricing. Flash memory is scaling faster than DRAM in terms of price/speed/capacity but I honestly dont see applications scaling to the point of needing anything beyond what we have now at least by 2028. Hell, we don't have anything that's maxing out the ps5 right now, which we already know can peak over 22gb/s when the assets can be compressed optimally. Maybe when we start transitioning to 8k+ TVs... and I don't know when that'll happen when we're barely getting widespread adoption of 4k60hz TVs now, but even then I think consoles will try to have hardware DLSS/FSR type upscaling rather than going full native. I think next gen will be about AI acceleration of image upscaling and maybe AI frame generation/prediction because trying to go to 4k120hz or 8k30 natively would be way too costly in components.
Hmm true.

Although, I'd have to say 4K60 is pretty adopted at this point though in terms of ownership of the TVs not necessarily games utilizing 4K60 everywhere. I always tend to play majority of my games in performance mode due to the frames. While there is a significant difference between 1080p and 4k, the frames are just too good. But that's a subjective/personal choice.

4K tvs are really cheap now. I have 2 4K60 monitors 24 inches and they were about $400 each and I bought them a few years ago. I do not game on my TV, because I do a lot of 4k60 raw footage capture and I prefer sitting close by a screen anyways.

As for 8K60 -

I believe there is 1 title that is running at 8K60 (Not natively, few tricks) but it's the closest thing we have right now to a 8K60 title. It's running on both the PS5 and the Series X. Neither of the consoles can natively output 8K but this game in particular does simulat 8K via sampling. Digital Foundry did a thing on with direct footage and talked about exactly what's happening behind the scenes.

To be quite frank, while the 8K60 seems to be next logical move for the next gen consoles I am not really sure what to really expect. 4K60 will 100% be the new standard, yes I can see that. But I don't know if there is a noticeable difference anymore between 4K and 8K.

I looked at an 8K TV a few years back at Best Buy and it was kind of hard to tell. Perhaps, we just have to wait and see. I prefer the frames and performance anyways. The extra pixels to me are just a bonus.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Hmm true.

Although, I'd have to say 4K60 is pretty adopted at this point though in terms of ownership of the TVs not necessarily games utilizing 4K60 everywhere. I always tend to play majority of my games in performance mode due to the frames. While there is a significant difference between 1080p and 4k, the frames are just too good. But that's a subjective/personal choice.

4K tvs are really cheap now. I have 2 4K60 monitors 24 inches and they were about $400 each and I bought them a few years ago. I do not game on my TV, because I do a lot of 4k60 raw footage capture and I prefer sitting close by a screen anyways.

As for 8K60 -

I believe there is 1 title that is running at 8K60 (Not natively, few tricks) but it's the closest thing we have right now to a 8K60 title. It's running on both the PS5 and the Series X. Neither of the consoles can natively output 8K but this game in particular does simulat 8K via sampling. Digital Foundry did a thing on with direct footage and talked about exactly what's happening behind the scenes.

To be quite frank, while the 8K60 seems to be next logical move for the next gen consoles I am not really sure what to really expect. 4K60 will 100% be the new standard, yes I can see that. But I don't know if there is a noticeable difference anymore between 4K and 8K.

I looked at an 8K TV a few years back at Best Buy and it was kind of hard to tell. Perhaps, we just have to wait and see. I prefer the frames and performance anyways. The extra pixels to me are just a bonus.
Xbox SX isn't running it at 8k, just PS5. But nice try to lie.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Hmm true.

As for 8K60 -

linky

At the end of 2022 more than half of the US still doesn't own a 4k TV, and given the upgrade cycles of TVs tend to be 7-10 years, that number will trend up slowly. It'll be even lower in the rest of the world. I think probably by 2028 we'll see some 8k TV adoption but it'll be <25% so there's no chance that console designers will target that.

Oh, also, looks like 8K TVs are banned in europe due to power usage. So yeah...

link

Last edited:
Reactions: Elder Legend

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
linky

At the end of 2022 more than half of the US still doesn't own a 4k TV, and given the upgrade cycles of TVs tend to be 7-10 years, that number will trend up slowly. It'll be even lower in the rest of the world. I think probably by 2028 we'll see some 8k TV adoption but it'll be <25% so there's no chance that console designers will target that.

Oh, also, looks like 8K TVs are banned in europe due to power usage. So yeah...

link
Oh. Interesting, didn't know that. I thought they were mostly adopted due to how cheap they're now.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Oh. Interesting, didn't know that. I thought they were mostly adopted due to how cheap they're now.
Over half of the US can't afford a $500 emergency... we're the lucky ones :/ (also full disclosure i don't have a 4k tv despite being able to afford one since I cable-cut and now I watch all my media through ps5 or pc via a 1440p144hz monitor, or on laptop)

Last edited: