Mad man creates a working GameCube out of LEGO

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com

Buying a classic game console like a Gamecube online is always a bit of a gamble. Even if it arrives in perfect working order, there’s a chance the rest of the console could look like it was handled by a rage-filled toddler. Restoring retro hardware is a time-consuming process, but as YouTuber Peter Knetter demonstrates, you can always take a shortcut and just rebuild a console’s externals using Lego.

It was just last week that another YouTube channel dedicated to retro gaming hardware demonstrated the versatility and usefulness of Lego as a hardware restoration tool by rebuilding a Game Boy Advance SP’s housing from Lego bricks. The build even preserved the GBA SP’s folding hinge, but with the final product covered in protruding Lego studs, it didn’t look terribly comfortable to hold for longer gaming sessions.

What didn’t turn out as well was Knetter’s attempt to recreate the GameCube’s excellent gamepads from plastic bricks. Although they set out to build a completely self-contained matching controller with all of the electronics stuffed inside it, what they ended up with was an original GameCube controller with a Lego facelift on the front, including buttons, joysticks, and a d-pad all made from Lego pieces. It works, but as with the Lego GBA SP, it looks incredibly uncomfortable to hold, and seems ready to fall apart under the slightest of stress. Unlike the nearly indestructible NES gamepads, this controller definitely won’t survive a rage-induced toss across the room.

D

Deleted member 417

LEGO the name is LEGO, the plural of LEGO is LEGO Why can the American's not understand something so simple...

Cool article though.

• they're_right_you_know
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero and arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That's amazing, one of my favorite consoles ever...definitely my favorite Nintendo console and my life-long love of Lego combined!

I love it that we have ingenuity like this out there. Hopefully Nintendo will not sue... haha

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Stand Up Seinfeld GIF by LEGO

Reactions: AniWeeb

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I want a series of sets of classic consoles like PS1, PS2, GameCube, with some kind of diorama containing a few scenes of their corresponding classics when opening them.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
LEGO the name is LEGO, the plural of LEGO is LEGO Why can the American's not understand something so simple...

Cool article though.
Sorry Lego Company fanboy, the term legos is basically genericized in common usage and we'll be damned if we don't pluralize it in standard English fashion.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Deleted member 417