Makers of EmuDeck want to release a retro gaming console

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
If you own a SteamDeck (and like me, love it) you probably have heard of EmuDeck.

Well, they want to release a console like PC with a Steam front-end.
I imagine they will refine their UI for setting up your ROMs there, but none should be shipped with it (obviously).

Screenshot_20240907_103024_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is an indiegogo campaign to make it a reality, and tiers include a "build it yourself" option - the cheapest.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Reason why Nintendo squash any form of emulation & will likely get more aggressive. Emulation set the precedent that anyone can use your ip & create a separate version in many case a “PC version” without the license & ip holder say in it itself is already wrong. But aswell it simultaneously promotes your ip being access for free or more specific “pirated” on those platforms that weren’t intended with out the say of the ip holder.

Another reason is this. Imagine not only crafting a emulator but now a device that acts like a console & can play games from ip holder essentially for free or for a very low cost I can’t imagine this emu machine will be anything above $200 & if it can essentially play everything from PS1 to PS4 & Gameboy to Switch 1 + Xbox that just sets a whole new precedent + harming the ability of the ip holder to be competitive with its own ip.

Yet another reason why PS should not port there games to PC & let the precedent that PS games aren’t exclusive to PS or not specifically design for that hardware where someone malicious can squeeze thru cracks from a legal perspective etc either way it will be interesting & I’m always interested how Nintendo reacts because they’ve been setting up legal precedent for years to challenge emulation & know where the line stands regarding full ownership of ip.

Last edited:

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Reason why Nintendo squash any form of emulation & will likely get more aggressive. Emulation set the precedent that anyone can use your ip & create a separate version in many case a “PC version” without the license & ip holder say in it itself is already wrong. But aswell it simultaneously promotes your ip being access for free or more specific “pirated” on those platforms that weren’t intended with out the say of the ip holder.

Another reason is this. Imagine not only crafting a emulator but now a device that acts like a console & can play games from ip holder essentially for free or for a very low cost I can’t imagine this emu machine will be anything above $200 & if it can essentially play everything from PS1 to PS4 & Gameboy to Switch 1 + Xbox that just sets a whole new precedent + harming the ability of the ip holder to be competitive with its own ip.

Yet another reason why PS should not port there games to PC & let the precedent that PS games aren’t exclusive to PS or not specifically design for that hardware where someone malicious can squeeze thru cracks from a legal perspective etc either way it will be interesting & I’m always interested how Nintendo reacts because they’ve been setting up legal precedent for years to challenge emulation & know where the line stands regarding full ownership of ip.
We already have a precedent of SteamDeck, which receives all Sony's PC ports and perfectly emulates the entire library up to and including PS2, and its LCD version already cost ~300$.

Meanwhile, more powerful analogs from ASUS and Lenovo get access to the PS3 and X360 libraries (something Sony and MS can't fully offer), and SD2 will probably get this feature as well.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
These are gonna be the norm. Valve is gonna sit back and watch all these 3rd parties make machines for them including Steamdeck 2’s.

MS will copy as usual and say Playstation has to join there method or fail like they always do lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This device is a PC, and Emudeck is just a menu/frontend to launch stuff, they won't have legal issues with this.

They don't make emulators, which in most cases are also legal if don't include copyrighted stuff like bios and emulate discontinued systems and games. If done properly, there's no legal issue with emulators either.

The main issue with emulation from the Nintendo/publishers/devs side are the roms/ISOs and bios files, because normally are pirated copies and not backups of a game / bios bought by that user. And specially when these roms/ISOs are from current games that are being sold nowadays, so that is piracy affecting sales. Distributing pirated games, bios, etc of games that still are in the market is not legal and whoever does it may face legal consequences.

MS will copy as usual and say Playstation has to join there method or fail like they always do lol
Xbox and PS already are PCs running some sort of Linux/windows.

PS only would need to add the Proton layer to put PC games there like SteamOS does. But I think Sony won't want to include rival stores like Steam or MS by default.

I think that before that, MS would do it replacing the Xbox OS for an upcoming Windows version adapted and optimized to play in the tv and in PC handhelds.

Last edited: