Marvel Rivals | Official Announcement 6v6 Overwatch-Style Shooter.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Information is from the guy who leaked Marvel 194 and Sonic x Shadow:

Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra made its debut in the Unreal State last week.Skydance New Media surprised fans with incredible graphics and a solid narrative that merges Captain America and Black Panther in this game. This title will have four different characters to control.

However, NetEase is also developing a new AAA first-person shooter game called Marvel Rivals. This studio, which is popular for making MMO titles, is also part of the Tencent conglomerate. Rumors are saying that Marvel Rivals will be announced this year for consoles, mobile devices, and PCs.

The videogames insider, Kurakasis, posted more information on X about Marvel Rivals, talking about how the game will be announced this year. There are no other details about the story of the game or if it is going to be a live-service title. This is a very certain possibility, especially with NetEase being in charge of the project.

Marvel Rivals is a first-person shooter with an AAA budget that will be announced this year. This rumor was picked up on LinkedIn about a job position at a studio in China. The post on job-oriented social media talked about the work being in Guangzhou, China; the offices of NetEase are in that place.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Netease being involved in this makes it a game that I wouldn't touch with a 10 pole

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think new big F2P MP games being in console, mobile and PC like Fortnite, CoD Warzone, PUBG, Gensin Impact, Apex Legends, Roblox or Rocket League will be the stantard in a few years, maybe 5. In the same way that now is an standard to be PC+console or mobile+PC.

Btw, Netease is not part of the Tencent conglomerate. It's an unrelated, separate Chinese company. One of their main local competitors. Tencent may have connections to their government, intelligence agencies or even their military (like Microsoft in USA), but doesn't mean the other big tech/gaming companies of the country are part or it.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
I think new big F2P MP games being in console, mobile and PC like Fortnite, CoD Warzone, PUBG, Gensin Impact, Apex Legends, Roblox or Rocket League will be the stantard in a few years, maybe 5. In the same way that now is an standard to be PC+console or mobile+PC.

Btw, Netease is not part of the Tencent conglomerate. It's an unrelated, separate Chinese company. One of their main local competitors. Tencent may have connections to their government, intelligence agencies or even their military (like Microsoft in USA), but doesn't mean the other big tech/gaming companies of the country are part or it.
Dude every big conglomerate in china has a family member who is a member of the ccp politburo, how do you think the conglomerate came to be in place. The whole country is the most glorious advertisement for crony capitalism with rampant corruption from grassroots to the highest level. For the first time I think America should take a page out of the Indians and just ban chinese corporations outright from operating state side.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
First person marvel… lmao

Capeshit in gaming is honestly the biggest piles of garbage there is. The more flops the better. Keep that trash on Disney plus pls

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Random question, but leading-on from Sony regional purchasing NetEase music arm, can't Sony buy NetEase and break into China a little easier/integrate NE's publishing etc? Why work with proxy's?

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Random question, but leading-on from Sony regional purchasing NetEase music arm, can't Sony buy NetEase and break into China a little easier/integrate NE's publishing etc? Why work with proxy's?

I was under the impression that any forthcoming mobile initiative would be thru Netease etc… Especially after their drama with Activision … but who knows.

Fun fact is that Marathon was funded with Netease money to Bungie (unconfirmed rumor). So they’re entangled with that project as well.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
All those super-heroes shooting guns, so inventive.
Well, I know not really my cup of tea either, but Sony are already in the superhero space and trying to break into China with their Hero Project.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Netease is a huge company, one of the biggest tech Chinese companies. Big tech companies are strategical and key for national interests, so normally governments protect them from being acquired by foreigners. So pretty likely, even if in theory Sony could buy it, the government could block it.

In the same way that USA would protect a foreign acquisition of Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon or Meta. Or in case of Japan the foreign acquisition of companies like Sony.

And well, to buy the whole Netease would be insanely expensive. It has a market cap of $69B, buying it with a premium of 40%, the average in recent big tech acquisitions, would mean a $97B acquisition. Not realistic for Sony.

In any case, if you're interested in their gaming branch Sony for Sony's future gaming expansion in Asia via mobile+PC, they already have a partnership deal with them for gaming. Same as with Tencent, MiHoyo, NCSoft, Cygames+Kadokawa, Akatsuki+Koei Tecmo etc.

Other than this, as a protective measure the Chinese government forces foreign companies to operate there via local companies or subsidiaries to double check they don't fuck them and apply local regulations.

Dude every big conglomerate in china has a family member who is a member of the ccp politburo, how do you think the conglomerate came to be in place. The whole country is the most glorious advertisement for crony capitalism with rampant corruption from grassroots to the highest level. For the first time I think America should take a page out of the Indians and just ban chinese corporations outright from operating state side.
In China the CCP is the equivalent to our political class: every big company has a family member somewhat related to politicians either at a national, regional, provincial or city level.

In our case, all main political parties are funded by the economical elites and defend their interests. Independently if the party A or B wins on our countries, doesn't matter because the main politics will always follow the agenda set by these economical elites.

Sme in China, with the difference that they vote individuals instead of parties, and their political class is ruled by their government instead of the western economical elite.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1711492262198.png

While the hero shooter may be on somewhat shaky ground in terms of new entries these days, what if the heroes were…really, really well known? That appears to be the idea behind a reportedly in-development Marvel game that will allegedly be a 6v6 Overwatch-style hero shooter, albeit in third-person, not first person.

I’ve seen a few different bits of sourcing on this now, the latest from TheStreamr, and yes, I am convinced the game is likely real. It’s from NetEase, which has a contract to develop Marvel games, but this is supposed to be on a larger, AAA scale than its past mobile entries, Marvel Super War and Marvel Duel. One report says it will be on PC, another says console and mobile as well.
Known Avengers/Suicide Squad leaker Miller also confirmed the existence of the game, which is supposed to be stylized in the vein of Valorant more than Overwatch designs. Miller says he likes the Storm design, seemingly confirming that character, and an additional Streamr article says Magneto is another character, and he will be voiced by James Arnold Taylor, Obi-Wan in the Clone Wars animated series. Reportedly Magneto will have “environmental destruction” powers.

The details remain a bit murky with a few conflicting reports, but the topline, a competitive Marvel hero shooter, is enough to go off of, though I imagine more than a few players will be skeptical of NetEase’s involvement here, as the company is widely known for microtransaction-heavy mobile games. And hero shooters from Overwatch to Valorant to Apex Legends are obviously laden with microtransactions at baseline. The Marvel game will have skins, at the very least, to be sure.
So, who is on the list? Here’s the rundown, which is obviously subject to change, and it’s not clear how many the game would launch with, and which ones would be added later. As you can see, we are spanning both the Avengers and the X-Men at the very least here.
  • Doctor Strange
  • Scarlet Witch
  • Iron Man
  • Luna Snow
  • Punisher
  • Rocket
  • Groot
  • Loki
  • Spider-Man
  • Hulk
  • Magik
  • Magneto
  • Mantis
  • Storm
  • Peni Parker
  • Black Panther
  • Star Lord
  • Namor
  • Thor
A few interesting inclusions in there would be Luna Snow, a Korean hero which first showed up in Marvel Future Fight, and has since appeared in the comics. And you may recognize Peni Parker from the Spider-Verse movie series, an Evangelion-inspired version of Spider-Man from an alternate universe. Other picks are a little surprising, Magik and Mantis seem a bit lower profile than the others, but it’s a good list. Valorant only launched with 12 agents and this is 19. Overwatch, however, had 21. So who knows, maybe it’s all of them.

It is pretty easy to be skeptical about this given how poorly most non-Spider-Man superhero games have performed as of late, and how burned out many players are on hero shooters, but we’ll see. There is supposed to be an announcement for the game coming this year, and we’ll learn more then. I’ve asked NetEase for comment and will update if I hear back.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022

I want to laugh. I will exit this topic after the following.

Guaranteed megaflop, lowest common denominator, braindead marvel trash.

Not sorry.

Reactions: Nhomnhom