Matt Damon explains how all you can stream effect types of movies made - are there gaming parallels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Short and succinct explanation of how todays streaming film delivery effects the types of movies made.

Essentially -

The risk of making the type of movie you once wanted was low because you had two opportunities for a return on investment. If it didn't make it's money in the Theater, the secondary release to the home market allowed for a second bite of the cherry boosting profit & mitigating risk.

With the Netflix model you no longer can depend on the primary/secondary market and movie investment can no longer take risks like they used to.

This resonates with the Sony AAA model - Sell the blockbuster. Put it on the "Netflix of games" post it's peak. According to Jimmy Ryan, these types of games could not be made going straight to "DVD".

Do you see Theatrical releases, or their lack-of; result in movies becoming lesser than they once were? Will games suffer the same fate?

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Idk of any streaming services like Netflix in gaming. The closest thing would be GamePass I guess but everything that’s in GamePass exists as just one option of consumption. You can still go out and buy all the games. The “theater run” for games still exists.

If I want to watch the new Manti Te’o documentary that is on Netflix, that’s the only way I can watch it. It was made solely for subscribers. If I want to play Flight Sim on my Series X I can buy it digitally, buy a physical copy, or play on GamePass.

That said, people worry about “bububuu muh games!!!” way too much when it comes to these services. The quality of television and movies is just as good as it’s ever been, even with a thousand streaming options.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
That said, people worry about “bububuu muh games!!!” way too much when it comes to these services. The quality of television and movies is just as good as it’s ever been, even with a thousand streaming options.
I don't think they worry too much, it being their hobby/passion.
Quality of television(series i guess) and movies is totally subjective, i would watch the kind of movies they made before 2000 over anything produced today.

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
No, it's an entirely different business model. The premise in the OP is wrong, imo. Jim Ryan doesn't make AAA blockbusters to make money off of them. He's making them to lure people into the Playstation ecosystem, so they will spend money on Fortnite/Fifa/CoD MTX in that ecosystem and so that Jimbo can get his 30% cut. That's the real business model of both Playstation and Xbox. Nintendo is still old-school, of course.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
No, it's an entirely different business model. The premise in the OP is wrong, imo. Jim Ryan doesn't make AAA blockbusters to make money off of them. He's making them to lure people into the Playstation ecosystem, so they will spend money on Fortnite/Fifa/CoD MTX in that ecosystem and so that Jimbo can get his 30% cut. That's the real business model of both Playstation and Xbox. Nintendo is still old-school, of course.
So contrary to Jimbo rhetoric, putting them on Sonypass would be better, or at least the same?

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
So contrary to Jimbo rhetoric, putting them on Sonypass would be better, or at least the same?
Idk about better, but it wouldn't make things worse. The vehicle for getting people on his platform would just change. He would have to make Playpass the centerpiece of his marketing efforts.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Of course. It is so evident for everyone to see.

Think of some of the best, big blockbuster movies with insane production values that came in the last few years. None of them launched on a subscription service.
  • Interstellar
  • Tenet
  • Bullet Train
  • Dune
  • Top Gun Maverick
  • Uncharted
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
  • No Time to Die
  • Batman vs Superman
Subscription services almost always get low-quality content -- whether it be movies or games.

• fire

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
It doesn't exist in the gaming industry as much as movies. buying a game costs more than a Cinema ticket or a streaming platform subscription, more than twice the price actually on average. it's not as much of a mass production industry like making movies. many gamers complain about how they need innovative ideas, that's why devlopers are trying to comply, yet when actual innovative ideas like Death Stranding happen they don't buy it.

Last edited:

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Of course. It is so evident for everyone to see.

Think of some of the best, big blockbuster movies with insane production values that came in the last few years. None of them launched on a subscription service.
  • Interstellar
  • Tenet
  • Bullet Train
  • Dune
  • Top Gun Maverick
  • Uncharted
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
  • No Time to Die
  • Batman vs Superman
Subscription services almost always get low-quality content -- whether it be movies or games.
Most of these movies are classic bombastic style-over-substance movies that are best watched in a cinema and don't work as well at home on your average TV screen (yes, even Interstellar is a dumbass movie when you break it down, I still loved watching it at an IMAX though).

• angry

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Da faq? This dosen't make sense at all.

With streaming services you NEED content to sell the "access ticket" to such content.

In other words. You are not making money with the content. You are making money with the subscription you gain when the content 'drops'. So the 'risk' is not attached to the movie itself perse.

The issue is when you don't gain subscribers 'anymore'. The metrics of sucees has to change, MAU/how many people/hours a content is being watched.

This drama around Subscription services always has been dumb.

Reactions: Katajx

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Most of these movies are classic bombastic style-over-substance movies that are best watched in a cinema and don't work as well at home on your average TV screen (yes, even Interstellar is a dumbass movie when you break it down, I still loved watching it at an IMAX though).
Man, you called Interstellar, Dune, 1917, Top Gun: Maverick "style over substance" movies. I don't even want to talk to you anymore.

You are dead to me.

how i met your mother friend GIF

• they're_right_you_know

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
If we kill streaming can we get comedies back? They used to release like multiple comedies a year in the 80's and 90's, can anyone name any big successful comedies made in like the past 5 years?

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Streaming was a consumer demand.. not some choice by the industry.

He's talking about how the DVD boom didn't last.. that's really it. It was only a brief time in film history where "buying a movie" really was that popular anyways.

And actors and many in the industry are incredibly biased against streaming.. as they historically have had contracts on the backend for ticket sales.. and nobody has replicated that in streaming well. The reality is there is an INSANE amount of films being made across a ton of genres.. like people need to branch out from Netflix or something.. it's far from the only game in town.

Film industry for decades now has been competing against a much wider variety of entertainment available to consumers.. including GAMING lol... # of ticket sales going down, so prices went up.. this all happened before streaming was a thing.

Either way trying to directly relate this to gaming is silly.. different industries, different consumer demands, different ways of making money.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
If we kill streaming can we get comedies back? They used to release like multiple comedies a year in the 80's and 90's, can anyone name any big successful comedies made in like the past 5 years?
-MCU movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.