Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater | Preview Thread | Confirmed 4K30FPS/1080P30FPS+

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
HsrMd6z.png

IGN

Provided the entire game follows suit with this demo, I think your feelings on Delta are going to depend on just how faithful you want this remake to be. If you’re a purist, then you’re in luck: the new MGS team at Konami clearly sees the original Snake Eater as something of a religious text. But it means Delta’s creative vision is held prisoner by the early 2000s. Even the cutscenes feature the same fade-to-black loading between scenes as the original – something surely cinephile Kojima would have exorcised if only he’d had access to SSDs back in the day.

Beyond the updated graphics and controls, there’s nothing surprising, refreshing, or dare I say exciting about MGS Delta, at least in this demo. The only significant change we did find was that shooting Ocelot did not trigger the time paradox game over screen. It’s not clear if this omission is simply because the demo is not pulled from the final version of the game, but such a famous Kojima-ism being missing from the first press showing of Delta did raise a concerned eyebrow. Hopefully it makes it into the full release.

Vg247

If Konami wants to reach entirely new audiences, it’s definitely going in the right direction by rejuvenating Snake Eater while preserving exactly what made it so enjoyable to audiences in the first place. Starting from the story's genesis, rather than the first game in the series... it might just be a brilliant move, it turns out.

Ultimately, Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is in solid shape so far. I'm eager to see more. If the rest of the game proves as faithful and as quality as the short mission that I got to play, Konami may be on to hit a home run for fans of the espionage action series, and newcomers to Metal Gear Solid alike.

VGC

“It’s exactly what you’d want it to be.”

Those were the thoughts, shared in unison between VGC and Giant Bomb’s Dan Ryckert after we locked eyes following 90 minutes with Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater.

The remake, which brings Hideo Kojima‘s seminal PS2 stealth title into 2024, aims to not only remake a classic but also revitalize a franchise that’s faced choppy water since its creator departed under murky circumstances.

Push Square

Far and away the biggest is an entirely new control scheme. For our preview session, these inputs were the only ones to hand, but you are able to select the original controls before starting a playthrough if you wish in the full version. A series famed for mapping item and weapon selection to the L2 and R2 buttons, the updated controller settings instead placed the menu scrollers on the left and right buttons on the D-Pad. You then scroll through items via the right thumbstick and let go of the directional input when you've found the correct piece of equipment. The Codec screen can now be instantly accessed by pressing up on the D-Pad, while an entirely new feature lets you select from a list of pre-set camouflage loadouts by pressing down.

Tech Radar

As the first title in the franchise since Metal Gear Survive back in 2018, Konami is facing a lot of pressure from fans to deliver. Taking a break from my play session, I spoke to producer Noriaki Okamura about the process behind modernizing one of the most acclaimed games of all time.

Foremost, I wanted to discover why the team decided that now is the best time for a remake rather than a new entry. “There’s lots of younger fans that do not know the series and we found that quite shocking,” Okamura explains via a translator. “Younger fans not only had not played the games but had not even heard of the series. We knew that if we didn’t do something, the Metal Gear Solid series would just vanish out of existence.”

“Delta is the game that we really want to have draw in new fans and be the reason why people want to either get into Metal Gear Solid for the first time or get back into the series,” he continues. As for why they chose to remake the third Metal Gear Solid game, “This is the very first in terms of storyline [...] if I was asked by a friend or anyone, a younger fan perhaps, which game they should start from, I would recommend Metal Gear Solid 3.”

PCGamer

The look of Delta blows me away because, honestly, I didn't know if Konami still had it in them. But the jungle environments here are visually some of the best I've ever seen, no matter the map layout underpinning them, with the air so moist at points you can almost feel it on your skin. At one point you see Snake wading through swampwater with the crocodile cap on, before a drone's searchlights swoop over the surface, the sun blazing over distant hills as the surface ripples, and in some way captures what Snake Eater always looked like in my imagination.

Polygon

The answer, implicitly, is that fans want what Kojima and his team made. And on that question alone, I think that Delta is a fine way to give it to them. It’s very close to the original, down to the voice lines being reused, and where things have changed, the modernization feels tactful. Its designers’ goal is to give returning players nostalgia and to faithfully allow new players a similar-feeling entry into the series, and it will likely succeed. Including options like the classic controls is also valuable, and this project seems more likely to bring new fans into the series than the Master Collection. Having both available is broadly a best-of-both-worlds situation when it comes to game preservation.

PCGamesN

MGS 3 remake is a fun nostalgia trip with impressive visuals and stealth gameplay that still holds up to this day. But, on reflection, I wish there was even a small splash of innovation present – something that would truly surprise me. Maybe the remake strays from the original path further in, but from what I’ve seen and heard, I doubt it.

I’m interested to see how these two remakes of iconic Konami games are received – one that prides itself on fervent faithfulness, and another that massively respects the source material while also riffing on what made it great. All you need to know for now about Metal Gear Solid Delta is that it’ll be the new best way to enjoy one of the greatest action games of all time. Just don’t expect any big surprises.

PlayStation Blog - hands-on report

Although the demo finished all too quickly at the fabled Boss bridge scene, it was enough to ensure to me that Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is going to do justice to its original and the lofty expectations placed on it. You’ll be able to experience it for yourself on PS5, with a release date to be revealed later this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: YeezyDude

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This is expected.
Since PS4 Pro, is kinda a been a thing. Not many setting options before that for consoles

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Give it to me NOW! Glad it's living up to the original. A lot of the times these remakes, especially MGS ones, end up not capturing the atmosphere of the original. Glad this one is panning out.

Reactions: Entropi

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I was curious how they gonna handle the Kojima name but good to hear it's credited as the OG.
Sounds all good, good to see Konami back.

Assuming they didn't screw up the writing and aesthetics to appeal to modern audiences.
Will see if they kept the poster girls, expect that to trigger folks each way.

Very exciting, any date or idea of the general launch for this?
Billbill-kun said its (early) 2025. There was some GameStop stuff about early November.
We probably get the date at TGS.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75 and Johnic

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I was curious how they gonna handle the Kojima name but good to hear it's credited as the OG.
Sounds all good, good to see Konami back.
Same as before. Full credit where due, nothing on the box art because he's no longer part of the company. Thanks for the release date leak. Had no idea. I'm good with early next year.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Looks like a great test subject for the PS5 Pro.

Assuming they didn't screw up the writing and aesthetics to appeal to modern audiences.

Snake is now a being of mystery. His pronouns are: Solid/Liquid
Raiden identifies as a women

Volk was always suspected of being gay anyway. So expect a full DLC about his romantic life :p

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I was going to say they should strive for more than just remaking the original, but then I remembered the twin snakes. I’m glad it is faithful to the source material.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I was going to say they should strive for more than just remaking the original, but then I remembered the twin snakes. I’m glad it is faithful to the source material.
Twin Snakes killed the vibe for me. MGS 1 was a masterpiece at the time (still is for me )

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
I was hopeful … and the hands on got me back on the hype train … bring it on Konami! Perfect timing post PS5 Pro launch!

Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Not liking this 30fps nonsense. Sigh… huge fail. I guess I’m out till pro console release.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Any current generation console should reach 60 fps on those "jungle" hallways. Also are we getting loading screens on those tiny ass maps?

Wish this game was given the REMake treatment. Respect the original formula but add something more. The PS2 game design will be a massive contrast vs the state of the art visuals.