Microsoft Called Baldur’s Gate 3 a “Second-Run Stadia PC RPG”

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
the game barely made it to the Game Pass, but Microsoft apparently didn’t want it.

According to these leaked documents, Microsoft called Baldur’s Gate 3 a “second-run Stadia PC RPG,” and while in a literal sense, they weren’t wrong, the irony here is how things eventually turned out, especially with the popularity of Baldur’s Gate 3 and it’s absence on Xbox.

Larian guy defended MS

the-count-the-count-sesame-street.gif

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, to be fair nobody expected that BG3 was going to be that successful.

24 Jun 2022

Even if it wasn't, that doesn't give MS any excuse to insult other developers in the industry. It makes them look petty, small, pathetic, childish, and unprofessional. And considering they tied it to Google & Stadia, spiteful.

It's also not like Microsoft's 1P have been knocking it out of the park when it comes to big, transformative 1P experiences the past few years either, so they have no room to critique or belittle. Like, at all.

EDIT: Appears that BG3 was tied to Stadia in some form in terms of platform release? That changes a few things...but the belittling nature of Microsoft's statement towards the game is still very much present.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If nobody means these that never played Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2 then I have to agree.

Anybody that knows what Bladur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 did in the past knows Baldur's Gate 3 was already predestined to be one of the biggest games release of that decade.

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are even today considered masterpieces that influenced the whole industry.

OP
OP
Fenton

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
Even if it wasn't, that doesn't give MS any excuse to insult other developers in the industry. It makes them look petty, small, pathetic, childish, and unprofessional. And considering they tied it to Google & Stadia, spiteful.

It's also not like Microsoft's 1P have been knocking it out of the park when it comes to big, transformative 1P experiences the past few years either, so they have no room to critique or belittle. Like, at all.

EDIT: Appears that BG3 was tied to Stadia in some form in terms of platform release? That changes a few things...but the belittling nature of Microsoft's statement towards the game is still very much present.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Wow.

He has that MS Lifer Kool-Aid going in by IV at this point.
That is hilarious.
The people above Phil realisemust he’s a flip flopping fool, or they are all just equally as bad as him.

Guy plays like he doesnt care about console wars too….

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
If nobody means these that never played Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2 then I have to agree.

Anybody that knows what Bladur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 did in the past knows Baldur's Gate 3 was already predestined to be one of the biggest games release of that decade.

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 are even today considered masterpieces that influenced the whole industry.

Couldn't agree more - as someone who played BOTH this year for the first time (and loved both despite the aging tech) - It was obvious what the impact would be.

edit: I don't know how I misssed these at the time they were launched. silly me!

Reactions: ethomaz