Microsoft delists game, removes it from libraries and is refusing refunds

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The backstory is that the game One Step After Fall was released on Xbox by a small Brazilian indie studio as three different versions: one in English, one in German and another one in Spanish. Each version/language cost $5 individually and the game was seemingly a big success. Why? Because it came with a free DLC update taking each language stack's total Gamerscore value to 2,000 G and with the right guides, you could get all those tasty achievements in about 20 minutes. Needless to say, many Gamerscore hoarders gobbled up all three stacks quickly. There is also a Windows Store version and an upcoming Windows Spanish version which is seemingly now cancelled.

Over the weekend, the German and Spanish versions have been delisted which I don't really think is a big problem. Even if it technically didn't violate any rules, there is frankly no reason why a game in only the German language should be available on the US store when a translation exists - and it does. The developer was clearly taking a piss, hoping they would get away with it. The problem is that the game has seemingly been removed from many people's libraries so they can no longer play this game they paid money for. According to numerous comments on TrueAchievements people are also being refused refunds because their purchase is too old.

This is a major problem because Microsoft approved the game and all its stacks, they allowed it on its store and they took money for it from gamers. Now that game is no longer downloadable because Microsoft has removed it. So, Microsoft has taken the money and taken away the game but are refusing refunds. I just want to shine a light on this, hoping it will get more exposure and maybe make Microsoft discover that they have messed up.

Edit: it seems some are being refunded by going to live chat with support agents. The normal refund process does not work though.

Two recent articles on TA below where you can see in the comments many complaining about the removal from their libraries if anyone wants to read. Lots of useless debates about "baby games" and Gamerscore in general so I don't really recommend reading:
www.trueachievements.com

Controversial achievement stacks for easy Gamerscore title delisted from Xbox store

Controversial language stacks for easy Gamerscore title One Step After Fall have been delisted from the Xbox store following a tweet last month from ID@Xbox head Chris Charla saying that Microsoft would look into the game.
www.trueachievements.com
www.trueachievements.com

One Step After Fall Spanish PC version cancelled following Xbox store delistings

The Bergson's Games Studios has cancelled the Spanish Windows release of One Step After Fall following Microsoft delisting other versions of the game from the Xbox store.
www.trueachievements.com

Credit: User: Clive / Resetera.

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Achievements/trophies are beyond stupid, I wish I could nuke them from PlayStation and Steam.

People buying trashy games to inflate these scores is just offensive.

Well, I think Sony is taking steps to stop those low quality games from being a part of the PS library in the future...

I love getting trophies though, especially well earned ones.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Those screenshots actually look okay, but I assume the game actually sucks?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Achievements/trophies are beyond stupid, I wish I could nuke them from PlayStation and Steam.

People buying trashy games to inflate these scores is just offensive.

Trophies are fun little extra for games, thanks to them i go back and explore a lot of things i never would have tried. I do think there should be better moderation and trash games should be removed. It cheapens trophies and achievements

Reactions: arvfab and ethomaz

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Couldn't they just do like the social networks often do when they don't want to fully ban, they just limit reach. Place these games in some sort of shit list where people can hardly find them if they lookup their name verbatim.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why I’m not shocked that Brazilian’s developer releases game in English, German and Spanish but not Portuguese? 🤷‍♂️

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Trophies are fun little extra for games, thanks to them i go back and explore a lot of things i never would have tried. I do think there should be better moderation and trash games should be removed. It cheapens trophies and achievements
The moment you are playing for anything other than the joy of playing the game itself you lost your way completely.

Season pass, daily quests, log in bonuses, achievements, micro transactions, those are joy killing mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
One Step Too Far.

If you are literally taking the game away from people, at least refund them.