Microsoft Devs getting salty about Baldur’s Gate 3 “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

What sparked the Baldur’s Gate 3 debate?​

This all started with a Twitter thread by Strange Scaffold* head Xalavier Nelson Jr. (*the studio is best known for Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator and the upcoming Max Payne-like shooter El Paso, Elsewhere).

He cited several things that separate Baldur’s Gate 3 from most RPGs in the market:
  • Long development cycle that started back in 2017;
  • Two previous games, Divinity: Original Sin and Original Sin II, “worth of tech and institutional knowledge to draw from”;
  • Successful Early Access period lasting three years that provided Larian with community feedback, bug hunting, and cash flow;
  • Huge team of over 400 developers across seven offices;
  • The license for one of the largest entertainment IPs (Dungeons & Dragons).
That’s why Nelson Jr. is concerned that Baldur’s Gate 3 could be considered a “raised standard” to the entire genre and applied even to teams that didn’t have the resources, tools, and experience that Larian did.

James Berg, senior technical program manager for accessibility at Xbox, noted that the amount of dev effort put into Baldur’s Gate 3 could equal 2-3 other games in the RPG genre combined. “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope. Only a few studio groups could even try this.”
Obsidian Entertainment design director Josh Sawyer noted that “having the foundation set and the funding to build things on your own terms is invaluable.” This is not about downplaying talented people working on BG3, but about acknowledging this case is atypical for the games industry.

Diablo IV senior designer Chris Balser also agreed with Nelson Jr., saying that it is important to remember that not all studios operate under the same conditions. He compared Baldur’s Gate 3 to Ultima VII, the favorite RPG of Larian founder Swen Vincke — “that’s a game that had 12 years of prior games feeding into it.”

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

of course they are salty, they have no talent and competence to make it themself. so they just envy.. m$ filled with losers and loser mentality.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Not surprised there is some level of admiration or even jealousy.... the game seems immensely large and deep.

I cannot wait to try it out. Would be a wonderful 1st party if Sony wanted a WRPG studio.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That initial post isn't even necessary and seems like a lame attempt to downplay what Larian has done. Not surprised Xbox affiliates are piggybacking that sentiment.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
this company never proceeds to surprise me. Can’t believe how creativity bankrupt they are. Always trynna normalise scope and scale with their own PR as well
Yeah making excuses about resources/fundings when you're owned by the 3rd richest company in the world is laughable. Josh Sawyer was supposedly given free creativity reign and he came out with Pentiment....

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Not surprised there is some level of admiration or even jealousy.... the game seems immensely large and deep.

I cannot wait to try it out. Would be a wonderful 1st party if Sony wanted a WRPG studio.
Not GaaS enough for their taste.

Reactions: Bryank75

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Larian studios was on the MS acquisition list, so truthfully all this drama means nothing if MS decides to snatch them up whenever they feel like it, which is the future of where this industry is going.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Larian studios was on the MS acquisition list, so truthfully all this drama means nothing if MS decides to snatch them up whenever they feel like it, which is the future of where this industry is going.

With absolutely no oversight or anti-trust..... yeah, looks like it's a free for all.

It's sickening that a corporation can use a monopoly in one industry to muscle out and create more and more monopolies in countless others.

jim carrey monocle GIF

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

They’re basically butthurt that an indie studio is making a better rpg than their studios are able to make? Lmao

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
With absolutely no oversight or anti-trust..... yeah, looks like it's a free for all.

It's sickening that a corporation can use a monopoly in one industry to muscle out and create more and more monopolies in countless others.

jim carrey monocle GIF
yep, larian studios would be a purchase so small that Microsoft would make more money in a month than the cost they spent. I honestly preferred when tecncent/embracer was the only corporation investing in these studios because at least we know that they would stay multiplatform.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Larian and CDPRJ RED if they had those two I think they would be covered.