Microsoft lost the console race, but would become the PC/Mobile leader with the Acti acquisition.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Microsoft successfully pulled off their hail mary strategy. They knew they were completely dead in the water in the console war with Sony. While Nintendo was off doing there own thing as well. I bet now you'll see Xbox make a huge mobile push now that they have King and COD mobile and see a big surge in PC gamepass users with Starfield and COD/diablo.

PC Gamepass is all about getting users away from the Steam monopoly with basically free games and into spending microtransactions through windows store. That's why you'll never see gamepass on Steam, mark my words.

So they could effectively cede the console market to sony which has pretty much happened this generation, while still making gangbusters as Mobile and PC is larger than console.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
From my experience as a PC only gamer gamepass is fine as a complementary option to your other libraries but I don't see how game pass can take away people from Steam or other storefronts.

I own more than a thousand games across all storefronts on PC. I lol never run out of games to play. I'll only consider subscribing to gamepass when there is a big enough release like Starfield or Forza.

Much to icon eras dissappointment, Microsoft will continue selling consoles. They did everything wrong with the Xbox One and still managed to sell 50M devices. Picture if they do better.

Funny how that works. Clusterfucks like the N64 and the GameCube are remembered more fondly than the Xbox one. I think that's because American media has a massive hard on for anything Nintendo, and they typically write the narrative.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, MS saw that they failed hard and had no chance competing in consoles so tried to expand to PC and mobile, and also moved their focus of their main games to GaaS and specially game subs.

Microsoft in mobile was already big, and acquiring CoD and King they'll be one of the top players in mobile gaming.

Regarding PC, they'll be also a top player with Riot, Valve, some Korean/Chinese games like Dungeon Fighter Online (shared top 1 or top 2 with LoL as worldwide PC top grossing game for over a decade) or the typical console 3rd party publishers like EA, Take 2 etc.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Funny how that works. Clusterfucks like the N64 and the GameCube are remembered more fondly than the Xbox one. I think that's because American media has a massive hard on for anything Nintendo, and they typically write the narrative.

You would think these consoles sold a lot more with the way reddit and youtube acts, it's weird how we never see any Ps1 or 2 nostalgia or playstation focused channels on youtube byt we have so many for Nintendo.

OP
OP
nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Mobile is larger than consoles. PC is not.
mobile and pc are the words i used, and depending on the data pc and console revenue is neck and neck.

I think the middle to end of this generation will not be pretty for Sony. Especially if all we have to look forward to in 2024 is GaaS first party.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its not "the media", its fans and fan channels. "Media" hated the Gamecube and loved the Wii, while those channels you talk about mostly did the opposite. It was fans giving stuff like Angry Nintendo Nerd or other 80s nostalgia shit clicks that gave rise to the Youtube boom.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
GamePass sucks but how is 300+ games for $10 worse value proposition than each game you have to buy individually on Steam?
Hundreds of thousands of people are paying $10/mo and playing no games at all. If you get into a bender of playing a game not on Gamepass, most people are not cancelling during that time. Also if youre playing Gamepass for an indie like Tunic or a free to play, you're just getting bamboozled. MS isn't putting out day one AAAs rapidly enought to pay off. And that's assuming you like everything on offer.

Steam is the best deal in gaming. Buy the games you actually want to play on deep discount with no subscription.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Tell that to Apple, Valve, Tencent, etc. MS does even worse at mobile and PC than it does at consoles, even with ABK.

GamePass sucks but how is 300+ games for $10 worse value proposition than each game you have to buy individually on Steam?
On Steam you get to chose the game you are going to play, that alone is much better value.

Something being cheap doesn't mean great value, specially since to most people their time is more valuable than playing something other than what they want to play.

Gamepass on PC is extremely unimpressive and given that you don't pay for online on PC it will always be, even if they add CoD or Diablo to it.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake