Microsoft may sell Xbox division if deal fails - Tweaktown

P

peter42O

Your math doesn't add up. They only have a few games, so if those few games go multiplatform, 90% of them won't be exclusive. As snarky as this sounds, it's the truth. Microsoft no longer has the slate of software where it is able to pick and choose what goes where. If it all stays exclusive, Microsoft will be looking at even greater losses.

The wisest decision now would be to use the only unique aspect of xbox; gamepass, as the reason to own an xbox - cheap games, vs owning a rival console. Microsoft cannot establish that unique aspect while keeping games purely on Xbox/Gamepass.

I meant all of Microsoft's first party games including Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda. Not just ABK.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
In my opinion, any chance of Microsoft selling off Xbox or going third party ala Sega started the end of that debate at E3 2018 and 100% when Microsoft acquired Bethesda. It's like how much does Microsoft have to acquire before people realize that they're not going anywhere? LOL. They'll release a few games on PlayStation, Nintendo, etc. but 90% of their games will be exclusive to Xbox/PC/Cloud.
Having more devs doesn't automatically mean they won't give up hardware - especially when the current gen has them tracking slightly behind the Xbox One.

There's no need to be defensive, it's just a definite possibility. All their games from this enormous acquisition will be on other consoles and streaming platforms anyway.

P

peter42O

Having more devs doesn't automatically mean they won't give up hardware - especially when the current gen has them tracking slightly behind the Xbox One.

There's no need to be defensive, it's just a definite possibility. All their games from this enormous acquisition will be on other consoles and streaming platforms anyway.

I'm not being defensive at all. I simply don't believe that they will ever sell off Xbox or become Sega. The time for that ended years ago which should be pretty obvious to the vast majority of people by now. They don't need hardware to not be third party. If they have PC, a TV app and Cloud but with no actual console, that just means you don't need to buy the plastic box which is basically what it is now.

The games they're getting from ABK is already going to be on PlayStation with or without acquiring them. Overwatch 2 is already there. Diablo IV is guaranteed as is that Crash game plus we know they're getting COD so what else is left? Candy Crush? LOL.

In all honesty, I don't care if Microsoft releases their games on PlayStation, Nintendo, etc. as long as I get them on Xbox and is day one on Game Pass. As long as I get that, you guys can have all their games. The only difference would be that other platforms would require a purchase where as on Xbox, a purchase isn't required. No difference otherwise.

Reactions: VillaiN

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I'm not being defensive at all. I simply don't believe that they will ever sell off Xbox or become Sega. The time for that ended years ago which should be pretty obvious to the vast majority of people by now. They don't need hardware to not be third party. If they have PC, a TV app and Cloud but with no actual console, that just means you don't need to buy the plastic box which is basically what it is now.

The games they're getting from ABK is already going to be on PlayStation with or without acquiring them. Overwatch 2 is already there. Diablo IV is guaranteed as is that Crash game plus we know they're getting COD so what else is left? Candy Crush? LOL.

In all honesty, I don't care if Microsoft releases their games on PlayStation, Nintendo, etc. as long as I get them on Xbox and is day one on Game Pass. As long as I get that, you guys can have all their games. The only difference would be that other platforms would require a purchase where as on Xbox, a purchase isn't required. No difference otherwise.
Not sure what the point of that statement is. MS is dropping $70bn on Activision and the original intention was to put these in their walled garden - except now they've been forced into concessions which mean they'll be shelling out to put their games on Playstation, Switch, and GeForce Now.

Basically like a third-party publisher.

Also streaming is years and years away from replacing dedicated hardware - but I still wouldnt be surprised if there is no NextBox.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not sure what the point of that statement is. MS is dropping $70bn on Activision and the original intention was to put these in their walled garden - except now they've been forced into concessions which mean they'll be shelling out to put their games on Playstation, Switch, and GeForce Now.

Basically like a third-party publisher.

Also streaming is years and years away from replacing dedicated hardware - but I still wouldnt be surprised if there is no NextBox.
The only concession MS is going to be making is not buying Activision.

The CMA has said no sale without divesting all COD-related IP and studios, MS said in Brussels and reiterated in their filing to the CMA that they absolutely will not divest COD if allowed to buy Activision.

Cut and dry.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The only concession MS is going to be making is not buying Activision.

The CMA has said no sale without divesting all COD-related IP and studios, MS said in Brussels and reiterated in their filing to the CMA that they absolutely will not divest COD if allowed to buy Activision.

Cut and dry.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the deal doesn't happen.

Alternatively, if it does happen in many ways I think it will strengthen their thoughts about becoming a third-party publisher (though that may have been decided anyway, especially when they consider the Playstation stock shortages and still being so far behind this gen).

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Is Phil Spencer Xbox's Steve Balmer?

Maybe but I haven't seen his dance moves...

bill gates white dudes GIF

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Xbox dropped the ball in 2009. They've been chasing trends for 13 years hoping they will capture those 2 billion gamers.