Microsoft Needs to Discontinue the Xbox and Give Up

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Microsoft has sold less than 100 Xbox consoles during the Spain black friday sales compared to ps5 selling 15 thousand.

With Xbox being outsold 20:1 by Ps5 in Europe, it's time for Microsoft to just give up

Even with a deep price discount, their big games like Redfall,forza and starfield failed to move the needle.

Why does Microsoft even bother anymore? They should just give up and leave.

Last edited:

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Oprah Winfrey Concert GIF by CBS

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
SneakersSO on GAF 👀

The fact that MS very well went through Nov. 2023, the 3rd year the console is on the market, historically one of the strongest sales years for a console during its lifetime, and potentially sold lost than 1m units WW, is a fact that really crystalizes some of the stories i've been hearing these last few weeks from colleagues.

Get ready to start playing some MS-published games on PS/Switch 2 on day 1.

They are not gonna close studios nor do layoffs (yet). They are simply going to expand where they are publishing games on. I now know of several projects that are being developed and ported to PS/Switch 2. I was taken aback when I started hearing this talk - I didn't expect MS to entertain this strategy at least until they hit 2027, but with console sales this dire, they need to do something.

One of the parts folks aren't understanding is that growth in services (GP) is directly tied to console sales. Every month, there are a number of users who leave GP, called a churn rate. GP has the highest churn rates for entertainment subscription services. This means that the entire business model is predicated on Xbox selling consoles to users who ultimately sub to GP, more so than the number of users who leave their GP subs behind. This is why you've seen Phil and many observers comment that GP sub service has 'stalled' in the console space. All the growth, which is honestly not at all significant, is happening in the PC space.

This is precisely what, based on what I am hearing, I expect to happen. They can keep their line of consoles around as their GamePass hub, maintain their userbase there, work with pubs to ensure they continue supporting the platform, then look for growth in Sony and Nintendo's ecosystems.

All of them. I know of several high-profile Bethesda titles whose port work started up a few months ago. I also have some knowledge on ABK in general, and not a single project that was in dev, or that has gotten an initial approval to have an exploratory milestone achieved, has had a single discussion on exclusivity. I also now know of several titles that fall squarely under XGS, titles that have yet to be announced, that now are doing PS/Xbox/Switch 2 development.

The console wars are basically over. The public just doesn't know it yet.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
They will, it's just a matter of time.

Xbox was still taking huge losses on every console sold at $500/$300, and now even more so with these huge discounts. It's not sustainable. The writings on the wall....Tim Stuarts recent comments, As Dusk Falls going to PS4/5, and Shinobi saying more Xbox owned IP will come. And on the console mulitplats sell terribly and GamePass subs have been stagnant for years. Starfield and Forza couldn't move the needle, actually with Starfield and Forza they're doing significantly worse than they were last year.

It's over for Xbox as a console, and I'm glad 😂 2027 can't come fast enough. Good riddance!

image.png

image.png

GAxg5I9XoAAXeYL.png

FgvRpye.png

• Surprised
Reactions: Box

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Microsoft has sold less than 100 Xbox consoles during the Spain black friday sales compared to ps5 selling 15 thousand.

With Xbox being outsold 20:1 by Ps5 in Europe, it's time for Microsoft to just give up

Even with a deep price discount, their big games like Redfall,frozen and starfield failed to move the needle.

Why does Microsoft even bother anymore? They should just give up and leave.

Article has been updated. XSeries sold at around 1000 units. Why didn't it mentioned in the 1st place, i dunno

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Who is Sneakers?

This one :

Man, honestly, the more I read of Xbox fans in this thread spouting the stuff they do, attacking people who are trying to keep expectations realistic for them, even trying to steer the conversation into solid directions, the more I realize that the diehard Xbox fanbase here on GAF is easily some of the most delusional, hateful, willfully ignorant fandom i've ever seen.

Anyway, back in the day, before PS4 Pro launch, he was giving rumored specs for PS4 Pro. He was mostly correct

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Xbox already said their doing another console in those leaks.
They also said they have a good feeling about the more powerful hardware, they could push Sony out of the market and all future titles will be Xbox exclusives.

10 years ago they said Xbox One absolutely needs Kinect, Xbox games remain Xbox exclusive and One X gets VR support. The leaks also said that it may have been a mistake to bring Xbox games Day1 into Gamepass. It's common to change plans when they don't work. And obviously not only are there not enough new GP subscribers, hardware sales are in an alarming state despite big names like Starfield.

A colleague said earlier this year that if Starfield doesn't improve Xbox sales, then probably no title will make it this generation. That doesn't mean that I don't think there will be any new consoles. However, it is possible that MS will base a future console on the Xbox Series S, i.e. a cheap entry-level model that they offer cheaply with GP/Xcloud in focus.

Mixer was shut down relatively surprisingly after MS spent hundreds of millions on top Twitch streamers at the time like Ninja or Shroud without taking even a rudimentary amount of market share from Twitch. With MS, plans can quickly change in one direction or the other.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Would be better for everyone, including MS but they are just too stubborn to admit defeat like that. Their MO is to outspend competition and use every shady strategy possible to dominate markets they think is their right to own.

They suck as platform holder and their products are shit. On every single gen they participated buying a PlayStation was a much better option for pretty much anyone. They never released a portable, did not support VR, rarely have they made quality games or created industry leading studios.

I love that MS getting involved in the console market because they were worried about Sony opened the way for Steam to dominate PC game, what a massive self own.

Now I can only hope Activision Blizzard continue their decay and release disappointing game after disappointing games just like Bethesda.