Microsoft sending people surveys about handheld consoles

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Yeah, I think at this point Xbox has given up on their console. Their games. Their exclusivity. At this point, they just want to stay relevant in the market and create a place where any game and any store can be run and played.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
JFL if Microsoft thinks they could compete with the Switch and Steam Deck

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I just can't imagine a mass market dedicated handheld coming out these days (Switch Lite exists but its comparative underperformance is a real indicator in the market's lack of interest.)

And while you, I suppose, could argue for it being a portable Series S, I don't think that battery tech is there yet, nor do MS have the ergonomic balls to make their own take on joy-cons. Nor have they built their games to work in a portable setting, meaning it will could be a bad play experience.

I dunno, could be a Portal device I guess, to work on the same tech as their Xbox on a phone service.

What I'm really getting at is don't expect a unique ecosystem, the days of those existing are dead and gone.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, a PC handheld with Series S horsepower, tv out makes way more sense than their current console.

Featuring their store and cloud gaming, but also having the other PC stores and game streaming services plus emulation because it would run on Windows.

A Windows with a new UI optimized to look good in these devices or a tv, designed also to populate the other portable console shaped PCs or potential future home console shaped PCs.

I think they may manufacture the first model, but I assume they'll allow any PC handheld maker use this Windows, and also make their own Xbox consoles if achieve some minimal specs.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Well, a PC handheld with Series S horsepower, tv out makes way more sense than their current console.

Featuring their store and cloud gaming, but also having the other PC stores and game streaming services plus emulation because it would run on Windows.

A Windows with a new UI optimized to look good in these devices or a tv, designed also to populate the other portable console shaped PCs or potential future home console shaped PCs.

I think they may manufacture the first model, but I assume they'll allow any PC handheld maker use this Windows, and also make their own Xbox consoles if achieve some minimal specs.

We already have the Lenovo Go,Asus ROG and Steamdeck. All play PC games on the go which includes Xbox games.

What exactly is Microsoft going to offer above these guys?

The problem with Microsoft is they don't innovate, you can't buy your way into different industries.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Let's put it this way:

Rog 1 - armory crate update fucked the left stick's ability to register left and right inputs.

Rog 2 - windows update fucked up windows to where I couldn't get back into Windows (pin missing) or reset OS (basically, fuck off nothing works). Thank fuck for Asus cloud reset feature built into device, Windows' reset and repair features sucked a dick.

Wiped Rog 2 and got back into Windows, cloud sync error with Steam = re-start game over from the start.

I turned all updates THE FUCK OFF. I'm scared to update either AC or WU. And when Windows Update eventually forces me to, if I get a pin error again, I'm hoping Asus cloud reset works again.

They need a device and XB controller with a mouse trackpad (or co-opt right stick for mouse in desktop control mode like Rog), and then tear down the wall between Console GamePass vs PC GamePass.

And they need a mode for Windows with absolutely as many Windows background shite/updates turned off as possible.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Too little, way too fucking late.
The Xbox handheld will be limited to gamepass and Xbox games only? Why not buy a steam deck instead?
If the proposed XB Handheld has some form of x86/x64 windows, you can use mods. (Granted I don't know if Steam Deck can do mods, but being linx gaming compatability layer I imagine it isn't as straight forward as Windows mods?)

• thinking_hard
Reactions: xollowsob

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Too little, way too fucking late.
The Xbox handheld will be limited to gamepass and Xbox games only? Why not buy a steam deck instead?

This has always been Xbox's problem. What is that they offer on their platform that people can't get somewhere else, somewhere arguably better too? Their games are on PC... and now they are even on Sony's console even. So what's the point?

Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
If the proposed XB Handheld has some form of x86/x64 windows, you can use mods. (Granted I don't know if Steam Deck can do mods, but being linx gaming compatability layer I imagine it isn't as straight forward as Windows mods?)
Maybe you're right, I'm unsure if you can use mods on Steam deck.
This has always been Xbox's problem. What is that they offer on their platform that people can't get somewhere else, somewhere arguably better too? Their games are on PC... and now they are even on Sony's console even. So what's the point?
Exactly. What unique feature will this handheld offer, now that zero games are exclusive to a Microsoft platform?

Reactions: Yuniac

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'm just not sure what the XB handheld would offer over a ROG Ally as it is also windows based. I assume MS would pass-out the "Xbox mode" Windows OS amongst PC handheld developers?

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I'm just not sure what the XB handheld would offer over a ROG Ally as it is also windows based. I assume MS would pass-out the "Xbox mode" Windows OS amongst PC handheld developers?
Xbox games, PC games, Emulators & PS games. Seems pretty smart now that PS port there games to PC (& maybe Sony leadership is dumb enough to do day n date PC) MS can make a hardware that’s more like a mobile PC or a mobile phone that can also play PS.

PS making a open PC hybrid handheld don’t make sense since Sony doesn’t owns Windows where MS/Xbox benefit from the growth of Windows operating system

It be interesting to see a interviewer question a higher up at PS why PS ports there game to PC knowing PC & Steam are direct competitors & helps PC/Steam become more defacto as the place to play games in gaming.

Also ccu isn’t a bad metric to transition from sales. You as a publisher can only support so many franchise & then limited, while live service & more live service mobile games are much easier & faster to make & require less $ to create new live service ip then singleplayer ip that takes 5-7 years (atleast not till ai becomes a major part of development) PlayStation should be leaning more PS console & mobile like Nintendo then PS console & PC.

Last edited: