Minecraft makes 4x more revenue on Switch than Xbox

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
92143_2_minecraft-makes-4x-more-revenue-on-switch-than-xbox.png

Minecraft is much, much more popular on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation than it is on Xbox...and rightly so given the sales differences between these platforms.

Microsoft has already confirmed that Minecraft is Xbox's largest game in terms of revenues, and that it delivers significant profits. What's interesting is how much revenue the game actually makes, and where it actually makes those earnings. While we don't know exact dollar values to Minecraft's mega-hit success, we do know that the game earns a lot more money on practically every platform other than Xbox.

Below is a transcript of his testimony:

Q Is Minecraft a significant revenue driver for Xbox?

Yes.

Q How does Xbox compare some of the other platforms on there?

It is the smallest

Q How does it compare to PlayStation to Xbox?

Roughly twice as big.

Q What about Nintendo?

Roughly twice as big as PlayStation. 4x as big as Xbox.

Q If you compare the net revenue to the gross margin, how profitable is Minecraft?

Minecraft is one of the most profitable, if not the most profitable first-party game.

Elsewhere in his testimony, Stuart talks about why Minecraft shouldn't be taken exclusive. It would be heavily detrimental to Xbox's bottom line and eat into profits, as well as erode the established multi-platform playerbase.

Source

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
At the time of the sale, I remember a lot of people were shocked at how much MS was willing to pay for Minecraft. Now, considering how many people play it, it looks like they got it for a bargain price. My nieces both have a Switch and it's their favourite game to play with their Dad.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
At the time of the sale, I remember a lot of people were shocked at how much MS was willing to pay for Minecraft. Now, considering how many people play it, it looks like they got it for a bargain price.
Not to mention that it has, since that time, raised it's price, released spin-offs, convinced people to re-buy it across multiple platforms and helped sell other products. Was a real galaxy brain move to snap them up over other popular-at-the-time indie multiplayer experiences. Now if only their account support didn't take six fucking weeks to send me a "go get fucked" form letter after I realized my ancient account was anciently hacked.

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Not to mention that it has, since that time, raised it's price, released spin-offs, convinced people to re-buy it across multiple platforms and helped sell other products. Was a real galaxy brain move to snap them up over other popular-at-the-time indie multiplayer experiences. Now if only their account support didn't take six fucking weeks to send me a "go get fucked" form letter after I realized my ancient account was anciently hacked.

Did the hacker do anything with your account? I've only played a demo of the game on PS3 so I don't know much about the possibilities.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Did the hacker do anything with your account? I've only played a demo of the game on PS3 so I don't know much about the possibilities.
He switched it to a different e-mail and changed the password! So its not my account anymore...

• sad

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
He switched it to a different e-mail and changed the password! So its not my account anymore...

It sounds like the support team needed a little more training. You must have been pissed, I know I would have been. 😾

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It sounds like the support team needed a little more training. You must have been pissed, I know I would have been. 😾
Unfortunately I had a really old account, pre-Microsoft, from when you would buy Minecraft from the Minecraft website and it wouldn't be linked to anything. Then, two our three years ago I wanted to give Minecraft another play after a decade away and, welp...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So only around 14% (1 of each 7) Minecraft console copies sold is from Xbox.

Imagine if MS would turn Minecraft console exclusive and would lose most of that PS and Switch sales, because I highly doubt that a relevant percent of them would leave PS or Switch to play Minecraft on Xbox.

I think they'd stop earning a ton of revenue from Minecraft every year just to get a only few million users, it wouldn't make financial sense because the revenue lost from the other platforms wouldn't be compensated with the one they'd create in Xbox. I think it's financially suicide.

Same goes with making all Zenimax and ABK games exclusive and putting all of them day one on GP.

It would make more sense for MS to acquire them, to keep all of them full multi and not including them day one on GP, and then use part of that revenue/profit that Zenimax and ABK generate to create exclusive games with other studios, while only getting the Zenimax/ABK exclusivity for marketing, bundles, demos/beats and -included once they are old games that almost don't generate sales- gamesubs. Which seems to be what Sony plans to do with Bungie.

Last edited: