Monster Hunter Wilds PS5 reveal brings 80% player surge to the series. Monster Hunter World has sold over 23M copies, MH Rise 13 Million.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1704377083621.png

Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter Rise see PS5 player spike​

• Monster Hunter World gained 80.5% more PS5 and PS4 players after Monster Hunter Wilds reveal
  • Monster Hunter Rise gained 38.62% more players in the same period
  • Monster Hunter Wilds PS5 reveal backed up by Capcom with heavy PSN discounts
With our exclusive gameplay data from 3.2 million active PSN accounts (courtesy of our partnership with GameInsights), we were able to see an significant spike in attention for the Monster Hunter series of PS5 and PS4. The climb in player numbers occurred between Sunday, December 3, 2023 (four days before the announcement of Monster Hunter Wilds) and Sunday, December 31, 2023 (four weeks later).

Also....

It has been revealed that Monster Hunter World - the ambitious entry in Capcom's legendary action series - has surpassed 23 million units sold.

This was revealed as part of a special new year message released on the official Monster Hunter YouTube channel. This video, in which producer Ryozo Tsujimoto wishes the world well as we all get accustomed to 2024, is short but packed full of interesting tidbits about the series' past and future.

Alongside the impressive sales figures attached to Monster Hunter World, it was also revealed in the same video that Monster Hunter Rise has sold 13 Million copies, while Monster Hunter Now has pushed past the 10 million shipped units milestone. All in all, a pretty huge spread for one of Capcom's premier series.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
If you add the surge from Steam and this estimate from the PS ecosystem, that's a massive increase in returning and new players in the month of December(and early January).

Capcom's lowest price discount for MHW coinciding with the reveal of Wilds really shows that lots of players can be convinced to try a game for cheap even years later provided you give potential customers just a little nudge.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If you add the surge from Steam and this estimate from the PS ecosystem, that's a massive increase in returning and new players in the month of December(and early January).

Capcom's lowest price discount for MHW coinciding with the reveal of Wilds really shows that lots of players can be convinced to try a game for cheap even years later provided you give potential customers just a little nudge.
Very good point and very true. There are ways to bring players back into a game or a series and this is one of them.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
World was great, I really spent a lot of time in it back in the launch year.

The glaive is a blast.

I'll probably give this a go too.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
It has been revealed that Monster Hunter World - the ambitious open world entry in Capcom's legendary action series - has surpassed 23 million units sold.

This was revealed as part of a special new year message released on the official Monster Hunter YouTube channel. This video, in which producer Ryozo Tsujimoto wishes the world well as we all get accustomed to 2024, is short but packed full of interesting tidbits about the series' past and future.

Alongside the impressive sales figures attached to Monster Hunter World, it was also revealed in the same video that Monster Hunter Rise has sold 13 Million copies, while Monster Hunter Now has pushed past the 10 million shipped units milestone. All in all, a pretty huge spread for one of Capcom's premier series.

Reactions: Gamernyc78 and Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Monster Hunter World is a masterpiece and one of the greatest games of all time, I put so many hours into that game.

Wasn't a fan if Rise though, they streamlined everything and took away all the fun of hunting and preparation

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It has been revealed that Monster Hunter World - the ambitious open world entry in Capcom's legendary action series - has surpassed 23 million units sold.

Dude, MH World is not open world 🤣.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
I was expecting a little higher sales for Rise. I think I remember very similar numbers when the game was still only on Switch and PC. It seems to have sold close to nothing in its late port to new generation consoles

Last edited:

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Is this a multiplayer only game? I only played one back on PS2.
No, both MHW and MHRise are single player friendly games, although some parts of MHW need online features (like to beat those two big-ass dragons that have stupid amount of HP lol)

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Something to note here is that these numbers are not including the huge spike of sales the game has had in December, these are just restating the numbers that are up to September 30th 2023 as part of their last earnings call.

The next quarterly report is going to be Jan 30th(Jan 31st JP time). It's going to be an pretty interesting one as that will include the first discount sales for Street Fighter 6 as well as whatever happened with MHW this past December.