Multiple Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth leads describe how "tough" the JRPG's development was:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1710151617184.png

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, the second part in the ongoing remake trilogy, was released just last month to universal acclaim and became the highest-rated game in the series in over two decades. But creating something so monstrously huge and densely packed was obviously pretty arduous, as multiple developers have now confirmed.

"As a creator, it was very fun to work on, but the workload was also pretty tough," lead user interface artist Hsueh Huei Liao says on Square Enix's developer roundup. "Even so, the UI team worked hard and without compromise on each and every one of them, to such a high standard that each one is almost like its own standalone game."

Environment director Takako Miyake echoed similar sentiments, calling development "tough," but emphasizing that the "staff were unanimous that the experience is worth the effort that we put in."

Battle director Teruki Endo was unsure if the team could "put it all together in time" when he first saw "how much content would need to be created for this game, even just for the combat." Considering that every character combination has its own unbique synergy move, that's not too surprising.

Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They did a great job. They should've been given an extra 6 months to polish the visuals in performance mode though.
I keep hearing about this bit does it still look beautiful? Is perf also suffering or just the graphics in perf mode?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I be seen some videos and at times it looks pretty flat. Like the characters don't have shadows/ambient occlusion or the lighting is off. I think it must be a bug.

Also a strong case of why games need to scale down a bit. It's going to take almost a decade to complete this game. Meanwhile we had prime FF (VI to IX) in 7 years. with many more goat tier square games in the middle.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I keep hearing about this bit does it still look beautiful? Is perf also suffering or just the graphics in perf mode?
Performance is rock solid 60 fps but the textures in open world areas are blurry, like early ps4 level. It cleans up drastically in 30fps mode but i cant play at 30

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
30fps mode is awful (I don't understand how anyone can play like that, I think there is some sort of motion blur missing) and performance mode is like the screen is smeared in Vaseline (not because it's render in low rest but because they don't know what to do to upscale the image).

Completely fucked up texture that looks like they haven't properly loaded even in things that are displayed front and center in cutscenes.

Objects moving near the camera have a weird ghosting effect that reminds me of GTA3.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
30fps mode is awful (I don't understand how anyone can play like that, I think there is some sort of motion blur missing) and performance mode is like the screen is smeared in Vaseline (not because it's render in low rest but because they don't know what to do to upscale the image).

Completely fucked up texture that looks like they haven't properly loaded even in things that are displayed front and center in cutscenes.

Objects moving near the camera have a weird effect that reminds me of GTA3.
Ahhh thnks.

Reactions: Nhomnhom