Naughty Dog Co-President Evan Wells announces he will be retiring later this year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Uncharted movie was terrible and did nothing to help the franchise, PC ports have been a disaster, poor sales and poor optimization. Remake was beyond pointless and a waste of finite resources they seem to desperately need. The directors cuts should've been free upgrades, and I didn't say that Factions 2 had to be out by now. I said all they have to show after all this time is a single piece of concept art, no trailer or even a vague idea of what the game is about or what it's like.
You personally not liking them doesn't mean they are terrible or a disaster.

The movie generated so far 414M (will generate more over years) on its first months and did cost 120M. Meaning it generatets hundreds of millions of profits and brings the Uncharted and PS IP to potential new fans.

Remasters, remakes and specially PC ports don't take resources from the other games (plus movie/tv show adaptations) because they are mostly made by other teams or new people hired for that.

Compared to a brand new AAA game, PC ports are so cheap to make and generated (and will generate) them hundreds of millions of revenue and profit.

The director's cuts included many improvements and specially a good amount of new content and features that required a fair amount of job that must be paid by someone. The players who already had the base game had a cheap very upgrade.

In other thread we saw that Sony kept increasing their budget for gaming R&D every fiscal year, and that in the current FY the amount is basically all the revenue that the division generated last FY.

Meaning, that all that extra revenue and profit generated by these things you don't like goes directly to increase the amount of money they spend to make more games.

The communication this entire generation has been terrible, the only time we hear from them is when they want to squeeze more money out of us from old games. It's extremely sad and speaks volumes when people don't even question the possibility of a TLOU2 remaster.... If you're ok with getting a bunch of directors cuts, pc ports, and needless remakes, good for you, but don't downplay fair criticism from other PS fans.
I accept fair criticism, but not lies and baseless FUD bullshit that goes totally against the reality reflected in facts.

As an example of straight lies: "The communication this entire generation has been terrible", regarding communication they communicated more than ever with more streamed events per year than ever, announcing and showing there more games than ever. Plus they frequently add/anounce/show more stuff to their blog and everything also spread in their very successful social media accounts.

That communication for the PS5 era meant gaming history records for any console maker in Youtube, Twitter or Instagram (I didn't check Twitch but I'd bet there too). And that communication has been very effective because their products have been selling in records numbers, as can be extrapolated from the record engagement from related social media posts:

• TLOU2 was their fastest selling game ever and the game that won more GOTY awards ever, got great MC
  • Death Stranding was on track (maybe already achieved it) to be the best selling Kojima game ever, got great MC and was the game of its year that won the biggest amount of GOTYs
  • Days Gone became the best selling Bend game ever
  • GoT became the best selling Sucker Punch ever
  • After solving the covid related chips shortage, PS5 on track to be again in a few months the fastest selling console ever
  • PS5 having record player engagement and spent
  • PS+ is the game sub with the biggest amount of game subs and revenue (revenue skyrocketing with the PS+ overhaul as it was their goal)
  • PSVR2 got better sales during its launch campaign than PSVR1 and got supported with Horizon, Gran Turismo, two Resident Evil games and more, in a bigger and better catalog of VR exclusives that PSVR1 or any other VR device had for its launch campaign
  • Demon's Souls remake got a great MC and caused Sony to buy them
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales got a great MC and combined to the other one did sell 33M units until a year ago, before releasing the PC ports
  • Gran Turismo 7 was Polyphony's fastest selling game ever, got great MC
  • Recent MLB games -like GT7- also perform than ever after successfully jumping to GaaS
  • Horizon Forbidden West was Guerrilla's fastest selling game ever, got great MC
  • GOWR was their fastest selling game ever, got great MC and many GOTY awards
  • Returnal was Housemarque's evolution to AAAish, got a great MC, won several awards and I assume may end being their top grossing game (they didn't announce it). Sony seems happy because bought them
And I'm missing many more 1st, 2nd and 3rd party (both AAA and indie) exclusives, which are a lot and more than before. Plus PS5 is also getting a ton of great multiplatform games.

They release a shit ton of brand new great stuff, more than ever. And on top of that they also release a few ports/DCs/remakes/etc., which require them little efforts and budget and are a very small portion of their total output but for them is another revenue & profit source that help them fund more brand new games.

If you aren't capable to see that and only see them making ports, remakes or director's cut, it isn't because they have a communication issue on their side, it's because either you are blatantly lying, are heavily uninformed and missed most of their news and games or have an issue like autism or something like that that doesn't allow you to accept reality and facts.

I don't care if from time to time they release some port, remake or director's cut, which in most cases I don't buy. Because in addition to this they release a ton of other stuff I love, and I'm not a childish selfish idiot who thinks that they should only make the type of games I like and that they shouldn't do games of other types of players even if the money they generate is needed to fund the games I like.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Ahem...
TLOU2 and UC rewrites, absent Amy and Bruce.
TLOU Online's development troubles.
I'm not sure what the first is supposed to mean?

Druckmann isn't involved in TLOU Online

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
You personally not liking them doesn't mean they are terrible or a disaster.

The movie generated so far 414M (will generate more over years) on its first months and did cost 120M. Meaning it generatets hundreds of millions of profits and brings the Uncharted and PS IP to potential new fans.

Remasters, remakes and specially PC ports don't take resources from the other games (plus movie/tv show adaptations) because they are mostly made by other teams or new people hired for that.

Compared to a brand new AAA game, PC ports are so cheap to make and generated (and will generate) them hundreds of millions of revenue and profit.

The director's cuts included many improvements and specially a good amount of new content and features that required a fair amount of job that must be paid by someone. The players who already had the base game had a cheap very upgrade.

In other thread we saw that Sony kept increasing their budget for gaming R&D every fiscal year, and that in the current FY the amount is basically all the revenue that the division generated last FY.

Meaning, that all that extra revenue and profit generated by these things you don't like goes directly to increase the amount of money they spend to make more games.

I accept fair criticism, but not lies and baseless FUD bullshit that goes totally against the reality reflected in facts.

As an example of straight lies: "The communication this entire generation has been terrible", regarding communication they communicated more than ever with more streamed events per year than ever, announcing and showing there more games than ever. Plus they frequently add/anounce/show more stuff to their blog and everything also spread in their very successful social media accounts.

That communication for the PS5 era meant gaming history records for any console maker in Youtube, Twitter or Instagram (I didn't check Twitch but I'd bet there too). And that communication has been very effective because their products have been selling in records numbers, as can be extrapolated from the record engagement from related social media posts:

• TLOU2 was their fastest selling game ever and the game that won more GOTY awards ever, got great MC
  • Death Stranding was on track (maybe already achieved it) to be the best selling Kojima game ever, got great MC and was the game of its year that won the biggest amount of GOTYs
  • Days Gone became the best selling Bend game ever
  • GoT became the best selling Sucker Punch ever
  • After solving the covid related chips shortage, PS5 on track to be again in a few months the fastest selling console ever
  • PS5 having record player engagement and spent
  • PS+ is the game sub with the biggest amount of game subs and revenue (revenue skyrocketing with the PS+ overhaul as it was their goal)
  • PSVR2 got better sales during its launch campaign than PSVR1 and got supported with Horizon, Gran Turismo, two Resident Evil games and more, in a bigger and better catalog of VR exclusives that PSVR1 or any other VR device had for its launch campaign
  • Demon's Souls remake got a great MC and caused Sony to buy them
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales got a great MC and combined to the other one did sell 33M units until a year ago, before releasing the PC ports
  • Gran Turismo 7 was Polyphony's fastest selling game ever, got great MC
  • Recent MLB games -like GT7- also perform than ever after successfully jumping to GaaS
  • Horizon Forbidden West was Guerrilla's fastest selling game ever, got great MC
  • GOWR was their fastest selling game ever, got great MC and many GOTY awards
  • Returnal was Housemarque's evolution to AAAish, got a great MC, won several awards and I assume may end being their top grossing game (they didn't announce it). Sony seems happy because bought them
And I'm missing many more 1st, 2nd and 3rd party (both AAA and indie) exclusives, which are a lot and more than before. Plus PS5 is also getting a ton of great multiplatform games.

They release a shit ton of brand new great stuff, more than ever. And on top of that they also release a few ports/DCs/remakes/etc., which require them little efforts and budget and are a very small portion of their total output but for them is another revenue & profit source that help them fund more brand new games.

If you aren't capable to see that and only see them making ports, remakes or director's cut, it isn't because they have a communication issue on their side, it's because either you are blatantly lying, are heavily uninformed and missed most of their news and games or have an issue like autism or something like that that doesn't allow you to accept reality and facts.

I don't care if from time to time they release some port, remake or director's cut, which in most cases I don't buy. Because in addition to this they release a ton of other stuff I love, and I'm not a childish selfish idiot who thinks that they should only make the type of games I like and that they shouldn't do games of other types of players even if the money they generate is needed to fund the games I like.
I don't even know why you're mentioning a bunch of other games from different studios when I was only talking about Naughty Dog, I think you misconstrued what I said. Nothing I've said is FUD

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't even know why you're mentioning a bunch of other games from different studios when I was only talking about Naughty Dog, I think you misconstrued what I said. Nothing I've said is FUD
The same different studios that shared with ND the same corporate "communication this entire generation" you mentioned, and that unlike ND they had the "director's cut" you mentioned when parroting the childish anti Sony bullshit and lies that in recent months are common in this forum.

The generation started like two years and a half ago, a few months after ND released their last big new game and they only had people to work in a single big new game at the same time back then. What were you expecting ND to communicate? To announce 50 games in a couple of years, when today big AAA games take around half a dozen years to be made and when they said to be working in their biggest game ever?

It's ok to say that you aren't interested in ports, GaaS or whatever and that you would prefer SP games instead. Ok, understandable. Maybe you also didn't realize that things like ports and GaaS may not be for you but that many other people will enjoy them, and that the huge profits that they generate later are needed for them to be reinvested to afford them make the games you like, grow their teams or make acquisitoins etc. Ok, understandable.

But when you guys start parroting dumb lies and nonsensical narratives like to say that Sony has a bad communication when it's really clear that is not the case, that they don't announce or release anything when it's really clear that isn't the case, that their sales are a disaster (like the Uncharted movie, a "disaster" according to you) when it's really clear that isn't the case and so on, people with this narratives end being not only laughable and cringe, but also really annoying because you guys keep spamming and parroting these lies again and again in every single thread remotely related with Sony.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Swolf712

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
The same different studios that shared with ND the same corporate "communication this entire generation" you mentioned, and that unlike ND they had the "director's cut" you mentioned when parroting the childish anti Sony bullshit and lies that in recent months are common in this forum.

The generation started like two years and a half ago, a few months after ND released their last big new game and they only had people to work in a single big new game at the same time back then. What were you expecting ND to communicate? To announce 50 games in a couple of years, when today big AAA games take around half a dozen years to be made and when they said to be working in their biggest game ever?

It's ok to say that you aren't interested in ports, GaaS or whatever and that you would prefer SP games instead. Ok, understandable. Maybe you also didn't realize that things like ports and GaaS may not be for you but that many other people will enjoy them, and that the huge profits that they generate later are needed for them to be reinvested to afford them make the games you like, grow their teams or make acquisitoins etc. Ok, understandable.

But when you guys start parroting dumb lies and nonsensical narratives like to say that Sony has a bad communication when it's really clear that is not the case, that they don't announce or release anything when it's really clear that isn't the case, that their sales are a disaster (like the Uncharted movie, a "disaster" according to you) when it's really clear that isn't the case and so on, people with this narratives end being not only laughable and cringe, but also really annoying because you guys keep spamming and parroting these lies again and again in every single thread remotely related with Sony.
what did I say that was anti Sony or a lie ?

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Who the heck said that? That was when those reports came out.

I said he's moved to address the issue, not that it didn't exist.
He was in charge when the issue was there why in the world should he have been promoted there are also employees that have come out & said they were fired for not having the correct political views he's a complete bell 🔔

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
Who says it was cause from what I heard it was only reported to be a problem when that cunt got higher up
Brady Bunch K GIF

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
what did I say that was anti Sony or a lie ?
I mentioned some examples in my posts and in some cases even explained why they are wrong providing some data even if most of them are well known facts.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
In the last 3 years:
  • Released TLOU2 months before PS5 release with record sales, reviews and awards
  • Released Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection with Iron Galaxy
  • Released TLOUP1 with Visual Arts
  • Released PC ports of Legacy of Thieves and TLOUP1
  • Released Uncharted movie made by PS Productions
  • Released TLOU tv sho made by PS Productions/HBO
  • Released TLOU & Uncharted theme park stuff made by someone else
  • Grew the team to 400 people
  • Working on TLOU Online, their biggest game ever
  • Working in multiple SP games at the same time than TLOU Online
The TLOUP1 PC port had flaws, many of them already fixed, but other than that they had a huge output in recent years with several -record breaking- very successful products. Also, in the past they only were able to work on a big game at the same time and now they apparently work in at least 3 big games at the same time.

It's very hard -if not impossible- to find a gamedev studio with a bigger and more successful output inside or outside Sony. And that requires a great management, can't be done with bad management.
Killed UC2/UC3/TLOU PS3 servers, UC modes altogether, I believe.

Didn't bring MP's forward to Remasters.

TLOU Factions 2 missed: TLOU2 launch, PS5 launch, TLOU P1 inclusion, TV show season 1 start/end, GAAS launch.

I value the online game more than the tv show ffs. I mean come on, now.

Reactions: Danja1187

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

TLOU Factions 2 missed: TLOU2 launch, PS5 launch, TLOU P1 inclusion, TV show season 1 start/end, GAAS launch.

I value the online game more than the tv show ffs. I mean come on, now.
Still miss Uncharted 3 Multiplayer to this day.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
To keep servers alive require money to pay their bandwith and people working on a live operations team to checking out it's ok plus fixing or tweaking (and testing) what needed, so when there isn't enough people playing after some time they are shut down.

In addition to this, MP games work well/are fun when there enough players of your same level to be matched in the match making. I assume that their plan is to merge all the TLOU 1&2 MP fans in a single dedicated MP game and all the MP fans of all Uncharted game in another dedicated Uncharted MP game, both seperated from the SP games.

I assume their plan for each one of these huge Sony IPs (include here probably also Horizon or GoT too) is to stop making a MP mode for each game of the series, and instead keep releasing the main entries of the series as SP only games while also having a single MP GaaS game for each one of these series that keeps getting updated receiving content for a loong period of time, up to >10 years if supported enough by the players.

SP games keep getting bigger and bigger, so their scope already is too big to also inclde a MP mode too, so they prefer to remove it to keep the scope cheaper and safer in a more reasonable budget and development time. At the same time, these MP modes feel weak when compared to similar MP games that compete against them.

So I assume that for them it makes more sense to branch the MP modes to a separate dedicated project merging the MP budget of different entries of each series into a more complete, bigger MP experience that can compete better against the other MP games. In addition to this, having all the MP fans of a series in a single game means there's more people, so makes easier to find people online to play. And having to support in live operations a single MP game of let's say Uncharted requires less job and money than to keep supporting many MP Uncharted games.

Normal, the AAA games released nowadays on average took 4-6 years to be made. According to them this game is going to be the biggest ND project ever, plus it's their first MP only game and their first GaaS, plus their first new game for this generation, so it may take a bit longer than that.

It started as the MP mode of TLOU2, but somewhere during development they saw that weren't going to be able to release it on time so decided to drop it and focus on releasing TLOU2 as a SP only game and left it for later to release it as a separate MP only game with a different and much bigger scope than they originally planned whan it was going to be only a MP mode, to be their main focus after they shipped TLOU2.

Pretty likely needs a year and a half or couple of years more of development before releasing it.

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Didn't wanna comment on this thread cause it was obvious troll bait by Sleepy but since he's banned now... whatever.

Big loss for ND, all I'll say. That man made that studio and its chaos work. Big talent. If he releases a book on his management days at ND, I'll be there Day one.